Escaping the end of the world

Thot

3 hours ago, NickMiddleton said:

Chaosium no longer had a licenses for that IP and part of the intent of Magic World was to present the excellent and well regarded rule set without any of the legacy IP issues.

Cheers,

Nick

Vague references to "a world consumed by chaos" to not infringe anyone's copyright. That is the whole point.

2 hours ago, Stoatbringer said:

So why not run your own Magic World style game where refugees come from a "world that was consumed by chaos"? You are the GM. 

Of course. That's actually something I plan for my next campaign - but my current one is still in big swing, so that's a bit far out.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Stoatbringer said:

So why not run your own Magic World style game where refugees come from a "world that was consumed by chaos"? You are the GM. 

Well put!

I had thought of using a previously unknown island off the cost of the Southern Reaches as a staging post for a Spelljammer inspired campaign, similar to the Rock of Bral (in the Spelljammer setting) or even Rime Isle in Nehwhon (Fafhrd and the Mouser).

Surely, so long as we don't publish or attempt to sell our campaigns, we wouldn't be infringing IP rights. IANAL so if anyone can clarify this, I'd be interested in knowing more.

Colin

• Like 1

I thought that  the events of Stormbringer took place in a multiverse. I'm sure that Moorcock wrote a comic that has an Elric that escapes the destruction of the Young Kingdoms, but since this is a multiverse why not have an Elric assisted by the player characters that stop the destruction of the Young Kingdoms?  I could envision a scenario where Sepiriz gets the PCs to go on a quest to obtain some maguffin to enable chaos to be defeated and balance restored. Maybe that maguffin lies in another cosmic realm like The Southern Reaches, the mass of floating pieces that is The Shattered Earth from Fractured hopes or The Dragon Empire of Dragon Lines, or Mythic Iceland, who knows? The GM does. 

"Foolish is the king who does not have a personal wizard, and lamentable is the ruler who trusts the wrong mage"

4 hours ago, Stoatbringer said:

I thought that  the events of Stormbringer took place in a multiverse. I'm sure that Moorcock wrote a comic that has an Elric that escapes the destruction of the Young Kingdoms[...]

Moorcock's multiverse doesn't work that way - there is only one version of each world in his stories.

Of course, there are various ways to play it nevertheless. For example, by interpreting the text as subjective, rather than objective recount of the events.  Maybe Elric was just on a drug-induced dream the whole time when he thought he fought the lords of chaos, and put himself into his sword.

Or simply by inventing stuff that was not explicitly said in the novels. The novel "Stormbringer" actually leaves plenty of room for that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Thot said:

Moorcock's multiverse doesn't work that way - there is only one version of each world in his stories.

Surely there’s only one eternal champion in each of his stories and a multitude of settings. Watch a few Morcock interviews and you’ll see that that is the way it can work. There’s no problem with another incarnation of Elric escaping his fate. He won’t remember it any anyway, Only John Daker has any real idea of the time-stream and how the multiverse works.

is a good starting point. 

Edited by David Scott
  • Like 2

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

10 minutes ago, David Scott said:

Surely there’s only one eternal champion in each of his stories and a multitude of settings.

Except for the ones where there are more than one. The Eternal Champion meets another version several times, I believe.

Oswald Bastable nuked Hiroshima three times, I believe. Hitler was a pissed off postman in some of the Jerry Cornelius stories, but I think the Nazis were as we see them in the Colonel Pyat storeies, but I am not sure of that. 

• Like 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

On 4/14/2018 at 7:04 PM, Thot said:

Whatever gave you that idea? This comic collection, written by Moorcock, has an Elric that never takes up the Horn of Fate. 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Moorcock's_Multiverse And there is a reality where Hawkmoon fails to become the Eternal Champion and a dreamquesting  Elric has to rescue that world from Granbretan. “Every world? There are others?" "An almost infinite number. It was into one of these I offered you the chance of escape.”
Hawkmoon dropped his head in thought. “Worlds where our history has taken a different turn. Where the Empire never rose to power?”
“Aye-and where that power has been divided or successfully resisted.”
The Warrior in Jet and Gold instructs Dorian Hawkmoon –The White Wolf’s Son. https://www.sfsite.com/07b/ws204.htm 

There are even two versions of Terhali the Green Empress, mentioned in passing in the Stormbringer novel, that Moorcock wrote. One is in a Conan comic, the other very different version is in the second set of Corum stories, both of which are written by Moorcock. 

Edited by Stoatbringer
  • Like 2

"Foolish is the king who does not have a personal wizard, and lamentable is the ruler who trusts the wrong mage"

I always play in an alternate Young Kingdoms... around the Sadric era... or even in Elric era, but the end of the world is never happening as written. I like my players feeling their PCs are the main characters. Playing overshadowed by Elric and the written events is not that fun. And, as posted above, the Multiverse is open to many, many different timelines....

• Like 3

Check my Lobo Blanco - Elric RPG (now in english!)

• 1 month later...

I'll be doing it! Not using Stormbringer, but Mythras, with the Elric/Magic World magic system.I've got three players already, but am still looking for more... So if you know anyone in central Germany who might be interested... point them here!