Skills over 100% and Strike Ranks

Darius West

As a point of clarification, if a character has a skill of 300% (Say they are a berserker or using axe trance with a high base skill), and they elect to attempt six 50% attacks, how do you calculate the strike ranks that they arrive in using either RQ2 or RQ 3?  Assume they have a pole axe (SR1) and 21Dex (SR0)and 18 Siz (SR2?).  

While we are at it, does Bladesharp4 add +20% to each attack? I assume it adds +4 to all damage rolls.

I recall this was always a bit of a point of contention.  

Each point of Bladesharp adds +5% and +1 damage to attacks, at least in RQ2, I can't speak for 3. For the SR example you've presented, it looks like our hero attacks at SR 3 (1+0+3), so that means that by splitting attacks they can attack 4 times in 12 SRs (3, 6, 9, & 12), but their skill with each attack would be only 75% (300/4). I don't recall if this would have any effects on their parry or not. They are incapable of doing 6 attacks in a round, as that would require SR 2.

Edited by Richard S.

RQ2 and RQ3 handle this differently.

In each case, Bladesharp 4 adds 20% to the skill and +4 to every blow.

In RQ2, Berseker multiplies base skill by 1.5, with Bladesharp added on top. So, someone with Pole Axe 190% would add 95% to the skill, due to Berzerker, then add +20% for Bladesharp, taking the skill to 305%.

In RQ2 against Chaos, Berserker doubles the attack chance, with Bladesharp added on top. So, someone with Pole Axe 140% would add 14% to the skill, due to Berzerker, then add +20% for Bladesharp, taking the skill to 300%.

In RQ3, Berserker just doubles the attack chance, with Bladesharp added on top. So, someone with Pole Axe 140% would add 14% to the skill, due to Berzerker, then add +20% for Bladesharp, taking the skill to 300%.

In RQ2, SIZ 18 gives SR1, DEX 21 gives SR 0 and a Pole Axe gives SR 1, for a total SR of 1+0+1=2. Attacks are at SR 2,4,6,8,10,12, so this allows 6 attacks at 50% against 6 different targets, but I allow multiple strikes at the same target to reflect the more skilled fighter.

In RQ3, SIZ 18 gives SR 1, DEX 21 gives SR 1 and a Pole Axe gives SR 1, for a total SR of 3. Attacks are at 3,6,9, so the attacker can only have 3 attacks at 100% each, not 6 attacks at 50%. Note that the difference in attacks is always 3, regardless of the base SR, so a Great Troll with a Troll Maul and DEX 21 has a SR of 1+0+1=2, so attacks at 2,5,8. One of our RQ3 PCs had a Maul of Swiftness that reduced the base SR by 1, so he attacked at SR1, so could get attacks at 1,4,7,10.

Every attack under both systems should get +4 added to the damage due to the Bladesharp.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

On 19/04/2017 at 5:55 AM, Darius West said:

As a point of clarification, if a character has a skill of 300% (Say they are a berserker or using axe trance with a high base skill), and they elect to attempt six 50% attacks, how do you calculate the strike ranks that they arrive in using either RQ2 or RQ 3?  Assume they have a pole axe (SR1) and 21Dex (SR0)and 18 Siz (SR2?).  

While we are at it, does Bladesharp4 add +20% to each attack? I assume it adds +4 to all damage rolls.

I recall this was always a bit of a point of contention.  

Original RQ3 rules implies : You can split an action of attack in two attacks for two different targets at SR (base) and SR (base) +3.

Pole Axe SR 3 = 1 + 1 + 1 (Dex, TAI, Weapon) splitting each 2 actions in two attacks means :
Action 1, Attack 1, Target A : SR 3 at 150%
Action 1, Attack 1, Target B : SR 6 at 150%
Action 2, Attack 1, Target A : SR 9 at 150% 300%
Action 2, Attack 2, Target B : SR 10+2 at 150%, no action can be carry to another round ...no more than 3 attacks

To resume 4 attacks max, on 2 targets A/B : SR 3, 6 et 150% and SR 9 at 300%

Mounted_Lance SR 1 = 1 + 0 + 0 (Dex, TAI, Weapon) splitting each 2 actions in two attacks means :
Action 1, Attack 1, Target A : SR 1 at 150%
Action 1, Attack 1, Target B : SR 4 at 150%
Action 2, Attack 1, Target A : SR 7 at 150%
Action 2, Attack 2, Target B : SR 10 at 150%

To resume 4 attacks max, on 2 targets A/B : SR 1, 4, 7, 10 or SR 1, 4, 7, 10

• Bladesharp 4 : +20%, Dam +4 to any attack done with the weapon boosted (modifiers are always added after splitting skills)

--- Personal rules ---

My personal rule use an old RQ2 optional rules stating if you have a malus splitting you skills, the malus cannot exceed 50%. With RQ3 rules you can simplify multiples actions :

• -50% malus for each extra attacks on different successive target (with a 50% minimum skills).
  • -100% malus for each extra attacks on same target (with a 50% minimum skills).

With house rules at 300%, you can get 5 extra attacks on different targets with a -250%: Meaning 6 attacks at 50% at SR (base) +3SR/ each extra attacks.
With house rules at 300%, you can get 2 extra attacks on same targets with a -200%: Meaning 3 attacks at 100% at SR (base) +3SR/ each extra attacks.

But you will need a way to minimize SR because RQ3 is limited to 10 SR. Usually by magic or creating a new rules. You can't do 6 attacks with basic rules !!!

Edited by MJ Sadique
some error of formatting (color, punctuation)
  • Like 1