BRP vs Mongoose RQ?

The Rhodian

Is there much difference between the BRP rules and the Mongoose RQ rules? I'm looking into playing the Stupor Mundi campaign setting, but I don't feel like buying a whole new rules set if it'll work with BRP.

Thanks, in advance!

Scott

Scott Oden

Author of Men of Bronze and Memnon.

Read The Lion of Cairo, coming soon from Thomas Dunne Books/St. Martin's Press!

You don't need to buy the RQ-rules, the RQ-SRD is enough to look for something specific. In fact, it's the complete ruleset of RQ-deluxe - if you don't need stuff like graphics and examples...

I don't think there should be any problem using RQ-settings and adventures for BRP, they are both skill-oriented and percentage-based. The rule details aren't that important if you are using background material, and you can always look in the srd if you have a question.

Stupor Mundi was written before the new BRP was made generally available, so it is truly a Mongoose RQ setting. However, it was originally designed for RQ3, which is very, very close to BRP, so you will not have any problem playing it with BRP. Look at the conversion rules for Divine Magic that are on the stupormundi-rpg.com web site (in the Glorantha section), and you'll easily adapt all the divine magic from MRQ that is in Stupor Mundi to BRP. Sorcery needs even less adaptations, and there is no Rune Magic in the basic SM setting.

So yes, all you need is BRP, the open game portion of Mongoose RuneQuest, and some people who like playing d100 :thumb:

(Although the non-open parts of MRQ are worth having, too)

Proud member of the Evil CompetitionTM

Is there much difference between the BRP rules and the Mongoose RQ rules?

Hehe, now that's a hot potatoe! :lol:

I'm looking into playing the Stupor Mundi campaign setting, but I don't feel like buying a whole new rules set if it'll work with BRP.

Should convert pretty easily. And DirkD's excellent RuneQuest SRD Luxury edition is free for download in our download section. :)

SGL.

Ef plest master, this mighty fine grub!
b1.gif 116/420. High Priest.

Thanks for the replies! Got BRP. Got the RQ Luxury SRD. Just ordered Stupor Mundi. I'm good to go ;)

I think I'm in the minority: I'd rather play a historical campaign than one set in a fantasy world . . .

Scott

Edited to add: Thanks, RosenMcStern! Just glanced at your profile and discovered Stupor Mundi is your brainchild . . . the preview was excellent! I'm looking forward to running it for my players!

Edited by The Rhodian

Scott Oden

Author of Men of Bronze and Memnon.

Read The Lion of Cairo, coming soon from Thomas Dunne Books/St. Martin's Press!

Both history and fantasy are nice to play with BRP. Do not forget to download the Hounds of Adranos free PDF from the download section of this site. It can be used as an add-on for the two adventures you'll find in Stupor Mundi.

There is also a new product for the Mythic Russia line available now from Lulu, the Birchbark Chronicles. It features the Mongol Golden Horde and a scenario written by Soltakss. This can provide additional materials for your Fantasy Europe campaign.

Proud member of the Evil CompetitionTM

Actually, there is a scenario but not by me. I did some other stuff for the Birchbark Chronicles.

When it officially comes out, I'll be converting a lot of my stuff to RQM and also to BRP, given time, so you should have some Mongol-types available for a medieval campaign.

Stupor Mundi is very detailed and well worth getting for a mid-medieval setting. Mythic Russia is a HeroQuest setting that is a bit later and the time of Robin Hood is a bit earlier, but the basics of Stupor Mundi are pretty much good for all those periods.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

In essence, the RQM and BRP rules are pretty compatible.

Sure, there are niggles. SR is handled differently, Hit Points are calculated differently, weapons have different stats and magic is handled differently, but apart from that you roll D100 and see what you get.

Even though the mechanics of the two games are different, you could use characters from one system in another system fairly easily. You might have to recalculate a few things but nothing too demanding.

If you already have BRP, then I'd recommend getting the RQM SRD, simply so you understand how its magic works and what things like Legendary Abilities are. That will help you with playing Stupor Mundi.

Edited by soltakss

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

Has anyone actually posted a conversion method from MRQ to BRP? I made a table for skill-conversion and percentage adjustment, so that you can use the MRQ stats of NPCs without much thought (or at least the skills of the NPCs). If there is nothing better out there, I could post it.

Please do. It could be useful to quite a few people out there (I hope!).

We should have conversions to BRP (from as many systems as possible!) in the Wiki. Would the Characters section be most suitable?

Britain has been infiltrated by soviet agents to the highest levels. They control the BBC, the main political party leaderships, NHS & local council executives, much of the police, most newspapers and the utility companies. Of course the EU is theirs, through-and-through. And they are among us - a pervasive evil, like Stasi.

I was going to attempt something, sometime. But that's a bit vague.

It would be good to see other people's ideas so that we can improve on them or use them.

There's a lot of RQM material out there that is non-Gloranthan and could easily be used in a BRP setting.