BRP Computer Tools (multi-platform for preference...)

NickMiddleton

Hello,

yes, you can do a Point Bast Character creation - the 'roll' button is just there to use it if you want to. Otherwise just fill out the boxes and press the calculate button. Select the Options you want, too.

Power Points are in the Powers Tab - didn't have space to put them on the main tab.

Things look good, loading and saving works, the Equipment tab is done, too. Character Images are currently not saved.

Will post the files soon so you folks can play with it. :)

• Like 1

OK, the alpha version is ready :) I invite you to to download and test it (yay) :)

Here is a short guide (THREE STEPS!) what to do to get it running on Windows, OSX and Linux. Sorry it is a bit of a hassle, I will try to make it easier some time in the future. For now, this is the only way to get a cross-platform program running without too much work on my side.

###################################################################

--- 8< ---

1) Go to here:
https://www.python.org/downloads/
and download Python 2.7 for your operating system

Install the downloaded package with default options.

2) Then go here:
http://www.riverbankcomputing.co.uk/software/pyqt/download
and download the Binary Package for your system.
IMPORTANT: download the pyQT version 2.7 (e.g. PyQt4-4.11.4-gpl-Py2.7-Qt4.8.7-x64.exe)!
Otherwise it will not work!

Install pyQt with default options.

Mac OSX: download pyQT here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/pyqtx/files/Complete/PyQtX%2B_py273_q482_pyqt494.pkg.mpkg.zip/download

3) Download the BRP tool (you might get some safety warnings due to my unofficial web certificate. I assure you, it is safe to connect and download :) ):
https://share.ldhn.net:81/public.php?service=files&t=62acd3866b69dc6a8c3767df822c9226

Unzip the BRP Tool somewhere.

on Windows systems:

1. Doubleclick the "gui.py" file to run the BRP tool. If you did all three steps the tool should open.

on Mac OSX systems:

1. reboot the Mac after installing python and pyQT (I know it is odd, but some Path variables have changed)
  2. open a Terminal shell
  3. type 'cd ' (yes, a 'space' after cd) at the Terminal, then drag&drop the BRP directory to the Terminal window
  4. type 'python gui.py' in the Terminal ... it worked for me on OSX 10.8

Test it and have fun! :)

--- >8 ---

###################################################################

There is a default character in the zip folder called Tim.txt. You can open it and edit it with any Text Editor, if you want to see how things are saved. But usually you can add everything in the tool.

Also, the Basic BRP Skill list with all default skill values is in the directory (BRP-Skill-List.txt). You can copy this file to something else and edit it with a Text Editor to set custom basic skill values. You load this edited file on the 'options' tab. An other way would be to create your own skill list in the tool and then go to the options tab and save it.

I hope the tool is intuitive enough to be useful at the moment. I'll extend the functionality during the next days, but every character you create now will be compatible in the future. So feel free to create characters and I guess you will be able to print them out sometime next week or so.

P.S.: anybody who feels generous is allowed to donate via paypal (info@weyland-yutani.com.au) or buy me a RPGnow.com voucher ;)

But this is totally up to you. Just want to let you guys know that it took me about 25 hours of pure programming time to get the tool this far. I intend to put in more time and will need about 25 more hours just for the printing. Just because I love BRP and think this is a great community and it is about time to have something descent available to create and manage characters.

Edited by pansophy
make instructions more clear
  • Like 2

Pansophy,

Do you prefer a paypal or pdf voucher? If the answer is PDF what info do we need to buy you a voucher?

Thanks so much!

Check out our homebrew rules for freeform magic in BRP ->

No reason for Ars Magica players to have all the fun!

Pansophy, cookies coming your way!

Okay. Clicking the gui.py in BRP asks for what software to run it. Whats the Python app to run this please?

Edited by tooley1chris

Author QUASAR space opera system: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/459723/QUASAR?affiliate_id=810507

My Magic World projects page: Tooleys Underwhelming Projects

Alright. I assume you want feedback? :)

*Seperate button for rolling stats instead of entire new character.

* I'd add a small window in the Skills areas showing how many are spent/remaining.

* Not sure the weight catagory is taking SIZ into consideration?  Example: my first character had a SIZ 17 and a STR 18 but weighed 70 lbs...?

Just getting started playing with it so will post any other ideas I come up with.

It's a great Alpha!

• Like 1

Author QUASAR space opera system: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/459723/QUASAR?affiliate_id=810507

My Magic World projects page: Tooleys Underwhelming Projects

Hi,

well, PayPal works fine, otherwise a Gift voucher on RPGnow.com is appreciated:

Robert Sabath, info@weyland-yutani.com.au

Thanks! :)

I will send something as soon as I get off work. Thanks for all you do!

Ronnie

• Like 1

Hi,

well, PayPal works fine, otherwise a Gift voucher on RPGnow.com is appreciated:

Robert Sabath, info@weyland-yutani.com.au

Thanks! :)

Pansophy check your PayPal account.

Best,

Ronnie

Thanks for the Mac link! Unfortunately I'm only seeing the code in a window when I run gui.py now… Any ideas?

Hm, please try this:

1. reboot the Mac after installing python and pyQT (I know it is odd, but some Path variables have changed)
  2. open a Terminal shell
  3. type 'cd ' (yes, a 'space' after cd) at the Terminal, then drag&drop the BRP directory to the Terminal window
  4. type 'python gui.py' in the Terminal and see what happens ... it worked for me on OSX 10.8

> *Seperate button for rolling stats instead of entire new character.

Ah, ok, no problem. Will do that.

> * I'd add a small window in the Skills areas showing how many are spent/remaining.

yes, it's on the list :)

> * Not sure the weight catagory is taking SIZ into consideration?  Example: my first character had a SIZ 17 and a STR 18 but weighed 70 lbs...?

No, currently weight and height is not taken into account - but it's a good idea! Will put it on the list.

Thanks for the feedback, keep it coming! :)

Edited by pansophy

Pansophy,

Just an fyi... It doesn't seem to generate negative damage bonus whatever the STR value...

Best,

Ronnie

Pansophy,

Just an fyi... It doesn't seem to generate negative damage bonus whatever the STR value...

Best,

Ronnie

Scratch that I forgot to add size into the equation!

Pansophy,

Best,

Ronnie

Hm, works for me ... make sure you click the 'calculate' button after changing values.

I'll change the behaviour to automatically recalculate values after 'Attributes' are changed in the next version.

Edited by pansophy

Scratch that I forgot to add size into the equation!

hahaha, yeah, that's exactly why a tool is helpful. All these small rules one forgets about from time to time ... glad you figured it out. But I'll make the autocalc available in the next version too. Also, autocalc will be active when changing some settings in the 'Option' tab.

The skill list is actually been modified when changing the "campaign time' buttons in the Option rules. These buttons change the default skill values in the skill lists.

The Hit Location box does do nothing at the moment. It might hide the Hit Location tab in a future release. Not sure what else it would be for.

My plan is to include the default weapon/armor/equipment lists into the tool. That way you can add them to the active character and do not need to enter the values. It will be an external file that is loaded, so you can edit it for your setting and re-use it as you wish (as as it is done for the skill list at the moment). Not sure it it will work via drag&drop or copy&paste - have to figure out how it is done best.

The roadmap looks something like this:

• add printing to the tool
  • fill the Powers tab with a few boxes & update the printing part
  • add some useful boxes in the Notes tab (Character Background, Family, Friends, Enemies and Goals
  • add an Encounter tool (with printing) to create some Combat lists for a game session
  • add a dice roller (easily done, just need to cut&paste some stuff from my other BRP tool)
  • Maybe add some setting specific stuff (Magic World, Alephtar Games stuff, Blood Tide, CoFE, etc)

Some questions:

Do you guys want a 'Current Hitpoints' and 'Current Power Points' (same for Fatigue and Sanity) box? That way you could use the tool during a game session to track them and save the progress between sessions as well. But I am not sure it there is a need for that as I am not using the tool for that at all. So it could be a time waster and nobody is using it.

Also, if somebody feels up to the task, I would love to include character schematics for the 'Hit Location' tab. So, is somebody changes the setting time to modern, the Armor Point picture would change to display e.g. a modern combat armor (further differentiated by male and female shapes/armor), same for the Hit Point pictures. If anybody wants to contribute some pictures - please let me know! I could also include different pictures for different races and maybe 4, 6 and 8 legged individuals.

2. open a Terminal shell
  4. type 'python gui.py' in the Terminal and see what happens ... it worked for me on OSX 10.8

Worked perfectly!

And it's a very handy tool you have come up with. Thanks for all the work you have put into it. Excellent work.

The only obvious problem I found was that the buttons at the bottom right of the GUI (load & save character?) are too small for the text to fit in. That's on OS X 10.8.

Edited by clarence

1683589267_frostbyteloggaFsvarttiny2.jpg.22ebd7480630737e74be9c2c9ed8039f.jpg   FrostByte Books

M–SPACE   d100 Roleplaying in the Far Future

Odd Soot  Science Fiction Mystery in the 1920s

OK, printing is coming along well. below is a link to the current character sheet. Depending on the selected options, it looks different to this screen.

Will make the update available tomorrow. Unfortunately created characters with the old version will not be able to be loaded again, as there was a saving bug.

Current Character Sheet

Hope you like it!

• Like 2

It's looking good! Two thoughts: Is printing without background texture possible and is the character portrait printed (and just not visible in your example)?

Oh, and a third you probably don't want to hear: Would it be possible to assign skills automatically with a couple of clicks? It would be very convenient for quick NPC generation, though I realize it might be a lot of work. 

1683589267_frostbyteloggaFsvarttiny2.jpg.22ebd7480630737e74be9c2c9ed8039f.jpg   FrostByte Books

M–SPACE   d100 Roleplaying in the Far Future

Odd Soot  Science Fiction Mystery in the 1920s