Book of Quests for Classic Fantasy

TNMalt

Been looking at what needs to be done to get this to match for Classic Fantasy. One thought would be to allow spell casters to recover POW normally since they are special. The other, I'll keep the big bad the same since he should still be a tough fight as stated. Or at least add extra spells if needed. The encounters, I might leave those untouched in the first adventure so I could get a handle on what CF PCs can and can't handle. All the ideas I have right now. Opinions are welcome. 

I don't have a good feel for actually playing CF but, from what I do perceive, I'm not sure that BOQ is a good match for CF characters.  I think the monsters might be too easy for CF characters (who have more Luck Points, for example).  Also, because of the S&S "magic = evil" vibe (to put it crudely) of BOQ, it's not clear to me that any of the PCs will have any magical powers at all.  A D&D-style Magic User would be most out of place in BOQ, I feel.  Also, magic items like wands and weapons would be out of place, IMO.

I guess maybe I have Rank 2 characters in mind when I write that.  Rank 1 characters would probably be a fitting match for the challenges--if you believe the PCs should be overmatched most of the time, mwahahahah.  I would not use Rank 3 characters--too powerful.

So, if you take away the magic system, and the items...why not run plain Mythras instead of CF?  (If there are favorite characters to be brought in, I guess that would be one reason.)

threedeesix could provide some valuable insight, I'm sure.  You should also scour the Design Mechanism forum, as there have been several threads about running BOQ.

Edited by Matt_E
  • Like 1

Our latest Horror Fantasy adventure has arrived.  Check out Old Bones Publishing on DriveThruRPG.com!

Sorry I'm chiming in so late, was away for the weekend.

I believe you could use the Book of Quests to run Classic Fantasy, however it would require some tweaking on your part. 

Yes, as Matt suggests, magic has a different feel in a traditional S&S campaign then that of Classic Fantasy. However, situations where this crops up could simply be ignored. You don’t have to have the town try burn the spell casters at the stake. And if it’s important for an evil spell caster to be shunned, maybe make them a necromancer. Which is a type of magic pretty much disliked no matter what the campaign.

What I would do is substitute a Classic Fantasy spell caster for the equivalent BoQ spell caster where relevant. Make a sorcerer a magic-user, a priest a cleric, a shaman a druid, etc. Keep their skills as written (changing the spell casting skills as needed) and then calculate their Rank based on their actual skill levels. Add appropriate Classic Fantasy spells as needed.

Luck Points are not going to really be a problem per say, as while yes, player characters do have more as they gain in Rank, Classic Fantasy ignores the Group Luck Point pool from Mythras. Plus, in Classic Fantasy, don’t be afraid to give important enemies, as well as any NPC possessing a class, Luck Points of their own. This makes the big final battle more of a war of attrition, as each side whittles down the others Luck Points, and gives an outnumbered enemy a little more of a chance of survival. Plus, maybe you want to make them a reoccurring villain. This gives them more of a chance to escape. The only thing different from an NPC’s Luck Points (which is covered in the upcoming Unearthed Companion), is that they do not replenish each session like those of a player, but every new adventure.

Hope this helps.

Rod

Join my Mythras/RuneQuest 6: Classic Fantasy Yahoo Group at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/RQCF/info

"D100 - Exactly 5 times better than D20"

hahah  That's funny to me, because that's how I run my personal Mythras game already:

* We don't use Group Luck Points, because I feel they give too many second chances.

* I give my major villains Luck Points as if they were PCs.

* Our Luck Points refresh every adventure, not every session, again, to avoid too many second chances (IMO).

:-)

Edited by Matt_E
  • Like 1

Our latest Horror Fantasy adventure has arrived.  Check out Old Bones Publishing on DriveThruRPG.com!

Great minds...

The only thing I do different is I DO allow the players Luck Points to refresh every session. Its just the NPCs that I limit to per adventure. This is just because as the Games Master, I feel I have an unfair advantage of already knowing the adventure. ;-)

Rod

• Like 1

Join my Mythras/RuneQuest 6: Classic Fantasy Yahoo Group at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/RQCF/info

"D100 - Exactly 5 times better than D20"