K Peterson

Advantages of Magic World

29 posts in this topic

20 minutes ago, K Peterson said:

Can I hire you to be my personal forum translator? You do a better job of getting my questions across than me.

My rates are very reasonable! :lol:

18 hours ago, Vile said:

That's the impression I'm getting in my current reading of both books, but would you care to elaborate? Any changes in particular? :) 

1) The addition of cultures to character creation add atmosphere and texture - but in a fashion that doesn't complicate matters.

2) Skill categories were an option in Elric! but MW gives them some significance (by having bonuses) but without the complexity of the RQ 1/-/3, SB 1/-4 etc model.

3) Character creation, frequently a morass of decision paralysis dividing point totals out across skill lists,  is streamlined to assigning defined list of fixed BLOCKS of points, simplifying the whole process (whilst still allowing customised breakdowns if preferred.

4) Rather than fixed "impales" as the highest level of success (but only for weapon attacks) and "critical" on 1/5th of skill as in Elric! Magic World reinstated the more traditional scaling of critical on 1/20th of skill and specials on 1/5th of skill, for ALL skills. Annoyingly, this was errata that was missed before the book originally went to print - not sure if it ever got corrected in the PDF.

5) Occupation skills increase slightly faster than non-occupation skills, ensuring occupations retain some relevance without being a straightjacket.

6) Guidance on generic NPC stats - Magic World page 221

Those are the ones that spring to mind and I'm confidant of without going through the two texts closely side by side - there are a number of other "nips & tucks" that are more editorial in nature. The compiled errata is here - https://basicroleplaying.org/topic/2786-magic-world-errata-is-live/?do=findComment&comment=77861 Thanks to Big Jack Brass retrieving it from off site after the previous upload was lost.

Chaot is remembering incorrectly - as published, MW retains both statement of intent as a separate step in combat, AND divides sequencing so Magic happens in INT order and then physical actions in DEX  order, as in  Elric! And all spells takes a FULL found to come in to effect.

cheers,

Nick

Edited by NickMiddleton
4 people like this

5 hours ago, NickMiddleton said:

1) The addition of cultures to characters creation add atmosphere and texture - but in a fashion that doesn't complicate matters.

2) Skill categories were an option in Elric! but MW gives them some significance (by having bonuses) but without the complexity of the RQ 1/-/3, SB 1/-4 etc model.

3) Character creation, frequently a morass of decision paralysis dividing point totals out across skill lists,  is streamlined to assigning defined list of fixed BLOCKS of points, simplifying the whole process (whilst still allowing customised breakdowns if preferred.

4) Rather than fixed "impales" as theist level of success (but only for weapon attacks) and "critical" on 1/5th of skill as in Elric! Magic World reinstated the more traditional scaling of critical on 1/20th of skill and specials on 1/5th of skill. Annoyingly, this was errata that was missed before the book originally went to print - not sure if it ever got corrected in the PDF.

5) Occupation skills increase slightly faster than non-occupation skills, ensuring occupations retain some relevance without being a straightjacket.

6) Guidance on generic NPC stats - Magic World page 221

Those are the ones that spring to mind and I'm confidant of without going through the two texts closely side by side - there are a number of other "nips & tucks" that are more editorial in nature. The compiled errata is here - https://basicroleplaying.org/topic/2786-magic-world-errata-is-live/?do=findComment&comment=77861 Thanks to Big Jack Brass retrieving it from off site after the previous upload was lost.

Chaot is remembering incorrectly - as published, MW retains both statement of intent as a separate step in combat, AND divides sequencing so Magic happens in INT order and then physical actions in DEX  order, as in  Elric! And all spells takes a FULL found to come in to effect.

cheers,

Nick

The language about criticals and specials on page 48 was indeed corrected in the PDF revision.

As errata documents go, that's pretty small.