RQ/Glorantha Appearing in Other Systems

Mechashef

While reading through a bestiary for Mazes & Minotaurs I came across a monster race called Draconians.  Some of the description immediately caught my attention.  I think I can guess where their inspiration came from:

Draconians claim to descend from the True Dragon, an enigmatic being who, according to their complex cosmology, existed before the universe and is now sleeping inside a Cosmic Egg, waiting for the end of Time (don’t ask). ...

Only a few Draconians have survived, hiding in a secret place called the Pass of the Dragon, located somewhere in the Thanatari Mountains. ...

Before they were defeated by the evil Serpent Folk, Draconians did possess impressive magical powers, apparently tied to mystical symbols called runes. ...

Their most precious possession is a unique sacred artefact known as the Hekatohedros (which can roughly be translated as the “100-sided thing”).

Has anyone else come across obvious references to RQ or Glorantha in other game systems?

• Like 1

Yeah that is definitely lifted from Glorantha, unless there are some obscure antiquity myths regarding such that I haven't read about.

Mazes & Minotaurs is a great little RPG, and the fact that it's totally free in PDF makes it even better. 

• Like 1

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

1 hour ago, Mechashef said:

While reading through a bestiary for Mazes & Minotaurs I came across a monster race called Draconians.  Some of the description immediately caught my attention.  I think I can guess where their inspiration came from:

Has anyone else come across obvious references to RQ or Glorantha in other game systems?

Not another game system, but there's a crapton in Star Trek DS9

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.die-sns.de%2FSchattenSeiten%2FGlorantha%2FArtikel_Glorantha%2FGlorantha_in_Star_Trek%2Fbody_glorantha_in_star_trek.html&edit-text=&act=url

Cataloged by Andre Jarosch.

Actually mentioned by Chaosium http://www.chaosium.com/blog/star-trek-and-glorantha-both-turn-50-years-old-and-theres-a-connection/

Edited by styopa

10 hours ago, Mankcam said:

Yeah that is definitely lifted from Glorantha, unless there are some obscure antiquity myths regarding such that I haven't read about.

Mazes & Minotaurs is a great little RPG, and the fact that it's totally free in PDF makes it even better. 

Looks interesting, and right up my alley.  Besides, you can't beat the price! :)

17 hours ago, Mechashef said:

<SNIP>

that's wonderful!  Haven't seen anything else like it, no...

C'es ne pas un .sig

The "firenewts" White Dwarf editor Albie Fiore inserted into the AD&D Fiend Folio always struck me as familiar for the way they ride around on large flightless birds like heavy ostriches. Looking back it's funny how their society also happens to be organized with elite warriors, priests and overlords. Surely a coincidence!

singer sing me a given

15 hours ago, scott-martin said:

The "firenewts" White Dwarf editor Albie Fiore inserted into the AD&D Fiend Folio always struck me as familiar for the way they ride around on large flightless birds like heavy ostriches. Looking back it's funny how their society also happens to be organized with elite warriors, priests and overlords. Surely a coincidence!

D&D3 had a lot of roots born explicitly from RQ mechanisms.

"Jonathan Tweet's own words:

"I never could have done D&D 3E without a lot of pro experience. RuneQuest in particular was a big influence on me and my design approach."