Rapier Miniatures comes to Glorantha

MOB

I am quite liking these, myself.  I wish the images were a bit larger.  The scouting Bison Brave in particular... I can't see enough to know if I actually like/want it, or not...

C'es ne pas un .sig

2 hours ago, Yelm's Light said:

It's always scorpion men that are the cover boys...you'd think it's the only race in Glorantha.

Yeah, but ... who's gonna get excited if they melt a blob of pewter & call it a Gorp???

C'es ne pas un .sig

2 hours ago, jajagappa said:

the same who get excited by a block of plastic called a Gelatinous Cube that cost ~$19.00 on eBay?

<facepalm>

When blank dice can be had for a buck or two ...

C'es ne pas un .sig

1 hour ago, Ali the Helering said:

I have down a reasonably quick search, and I cannot find any RW scorpion with legs like those.

Artistic license?  Or Chaos Feature???

C'es ne pas un .sig

On ‎5‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 0:09 PM, jajagappa said:

the same who get excited by a block of plastic called a Gelatinous Cube that cost ~$19.00 on eBay?

I have a Gelatinous cube I got when I was collecting the D&D Mini game.

It looks like some one took a paperclip holder off the office desk and put it in the oven till it just started to melt.

And now they sell for $19 on Ebay? Hmmm I could use an old pizza pan, buy a bunch of paperclip holders and go into a side business , if the wife lets me use the oven .

• Like 1

For the record I recently bought the scorpion men and Ducks from Rapier.

And while  I am satisfied with the scorpion men. But I should mention that their Ducks are much bigger then the Old Mongoose ducks I have .. .

The Rapier Ducks are almost the same size as a true 25 mm Figure so are about 50% taller then the Old Mongoose ducks.

Might mention when I ordered all six scorpion men and  I received some extra weapons, the Champion comes with the four sword pictured while the Queen has a staff, the other  other figures can be armed with  spiked clubs, spears , shields , , a sling , jabbers and claws . Wish I could have given the Queen a sword so I could use it for a certain Humkati Scorpion Queen but  maybe we can get another female scorpion man in the future. 

For the record I want Morokanth first , along with a dragonsnail. as I can use other figures for human of Prax but there is really nothing close I can use for a Morokanth

On 5/3/2017 at 4:33 AM, g33k said:

Yeah, but ... who's gonna get excited if they melt a blob of pewter & call it a Gorp???

72000324_8cd3a4f74d.jpg

I'ld sooner just use a pack of Jelly if I want to create a swarm of Gorp heh heh

• Like 1

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

57 minutes ago, TRose said:

But I should mention that their Ducks are much bigger then the Old Mongoose ducks I have ..

They've obviously heroquested to gain SIZ since the Lunars imposed the Duck Hunt.  And they want vengeance.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Ali the Helering said:

Lack of attention to detail?  Or lazy modelling taking the easy route???

The legs, as-shown, look more "crab" like (with pointed tips); scorpions usually have small "foot-like" tips at right-angle to the legs.  I expect those would break off, if modelled.  So I'm good with the pointed "crabby" tips.

Stance-wise, many scorpions have larger legs to the rear; where it's clear in the models, it's clear they have modeled the scorpionmens' legs larger to the front, allowing rhe underside to show in a front-view.  Again, I'm good with this (for artistic reasons instead of practical ones).

Are there other differences you object to?

C'es ne pas un .sig

11 minutes ago, g33k said:

The legs, as-shown, look more "crab" like (with pointed tips); scorpions usually have small "foot-like" tips at right-angle to the legs.  I expect those would break off, if modelled.  So I'm good with the pointed "crabby" tips.

Stance-wise, many scorpions have larger legs to the rear; where it's clear in the models, it's clear they have modeled the scorpionmens' legs larger to the front, allowing rhe underside to show in a front-view.  Again, I'm good with this (for artistic reasons instead of practical ones).

Legs  come unattached. There are three holes on each side and you can attach the legs  anyway you want to.

3 hours ago, Mankcam said:

72000324_8cd3a4f74d.jpg

I'ld sooner just use a pack of Jelly if I want to create a swarm of Gorp heh heh

Long ago I made some gorps out of some left over acrylic  grout( called Mastic in the UK I believe.) Stuff really great for modelling.

Not sure what it called in other countries but it the stuff used between tiles when you are putting new tiles in the bathroom etc.

• Like 1

I'm honestly not particularly impressed with these figures, and I can say pretty definitely that I'll not be purchasing any.

Without delving too much into ancient history, I'm quite surprised by the warm reception this is getting after the, in my opinion, rather vicious backlash against the previous (much higher quality) miniature concept.

Has there been any official word as to why that project was dropped?

• Like 1

Over in the G+ Glorantha group, someone asked if Rapier were going to list up other models that they already produce that would be fine for Glorantha as-is. Rapier said that scorpion men "are it", and that "our ducks, while fun are really too big for Gloranthan ones and new properly sized ones are planned".

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kaydet said:

I'm honestly not particularly impressed with these figures, and I can say pretty definitely that I'll not be purchasing any.

Without delving too much into ancient history, I'm quite surprised by the warm reception this is getting after the, in my opinion, rather vicious backlash against the previous (much higher quality) miniature concept.

Yeah I'm with you on this, especially after I saw the finished Bison rider figure over on Facebook. They remind me of the quality of the original RQ figs way back when, which in those days was fine. The concepts looks good though.

6 hours ago, kaydet said:

No official word, but when fan critique was that the sample figure was too viking/generic fantasy barbarian the writing was on the wall.

If there anything that going to get slapped down hard at the moment its anything connecting Orlanthi and with iron age northern Europeans.

• Like 1

As for as Bison riders go, I have both the Lance and Laser and Ironwind Bison riders. Ironwind are true 25 and are about half the size of the Lance and laser and are very poor quality. They look like they where made for wargaming mass armies not roleplaying . I use the Ironwind Bison for adolescent riders I might add.

I do like the fact that the Ironwind Bison is cast separately from the rider and hope Rapier does the same. That way I can change riders out and perhaps even mount a Lunar Officer  riding a captured Bison or Rhino.

16 hours ago, g33k said:

Not really, except to say that I don't find the figure interesting enough to buy.  At least with separate fixture points for each leg then, with a bit of modification, you could at least have some semblance of Chaos Features.  The thing with the legs is, as you say, they are more crustacean than from the Order Scorpiones.  If the figure was being sold as - say - a Crab Centaur, then that would be fine.  Bagogi are, however, scorpion folk.  Sorry if I appear a bit crabby.....