Sneak Peek at RQG Quickstart

MOB

Looks good for a QuickStart product, very much a teaser for the full release of RQG later this year. Looking forward to this edition of RuneQuest :)

Edited by Mankcam

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

I love the layout.  I have seen too many books lately with really "tight" and "confused" layouts in order to cut printing costs.  I'm also a fan of being able to attach index markers to pages WITHOUT covering up any text.  I'm "Old School" that way.... :) 

Wow, AAA grade product for free RPG day?  This isn't just a "pamphlet-version" like the old BRP insert was, this is really a sharp-looking text, nicely laid out and printed.

Can't wait to see it for real.  THANKS

PS: The air/storm rune on every page is CLEARLY pro-Orlanthi propaganda.

51 minutes ago, d(sqrt(-1)) said:

Will we be able to order hard copy versions, or is it just going to be the pdfs in July? I'd definitely like a print version.

From 1 July you'll be able to download the Quickstart for free at Chaosium.com, or order a copy in print. The cost will be similar to that of the Call of Cthulhu Quickstart.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Oh that's interesting, I thought he was just a particularly stylish wind lord.

It's interesting in terms of the setting history because the gods are very rarely pictured directly.

Like, Yelm on the Gods Wall isn't a picture of Yelm, it's a picture of the picture of Yelm on the Gods Wall.  Get it?

Edited by Roko Joko
  • Like 1

What really happened?  The only way to discover that is to experience it yourself.

6 hours ago, MOB said:

We are now doing a Glorantha Quickstart too!

Our RQ Quickstart warrior graduates from fighting rock lizards to standing shoulder-to-shoulder with Orlanth himself on the cover!

SUATMM, dammit!

But since you're REFUSING my money, at the moment ... 

D'you have a rough page-count, word-count, or anything of the sort?  And as to the content ... will it essentially be a small setting-book?  Any chance an adventure might be included?  Etc ...

And what are the plans (or are they even decided) regarding availability... planned as a standard retail item?  Or will it be similar to the RQG Quickstart (free in PDF, roughly at-cost+s&h for print)?  Released with the core rules?  Or ... ?

C'es ne pas un .sig

9 hours ago, Roko Joko said:

Oh that's interesting, I thought he was just a particularly stylish wind lord.

It's interesting in terms of the setting history because the gods are very rarely pictured directly.

Like, Yelm on the Gods Wall isn't a picture of Yelm, it's a picture of the picture of Yelm on the Gods Wall.  Get it?

It's a scene from the Humakt the Champion HeroQuest.

Edited by MOB
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, g33k said:

D'you have a rough page-count, word-count, or anything of the sort?  And as to the content ... will it essentially be a small setting-book?  Any chance an adventure might be included?  Etc ...

And what are the plans (or are they even decided) regarding availability... planned as a standard retail item?  Or will it be similar to the RQG Quickstart (free in PDF, roughly at-cost+s&h for print)?  Released with the core rules?  Or ... ?

The Glorantha Quickstart will be 48 pages, like the RQ Quickstart. Also like the RQ Quickstart it will be available free in PDF and at a very reasonable cost for print.

We haven't got a firm release date yet, but it will be out before the core rules are.

• Like 8

10 hours ago, MOB said:

The Glorantha Quickstart will be 48 pages, like the RQ Quickstart. Also like the RQ Quickstart it will be available free in PDF and at a very reasonable cost for print.

Damn, Chaosium ... DAMN.

I just keep liking what you folks are doing, more and more .

Y'all are HELL on my piggie-banks; luckily this looks pretty affordable!

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

My opinions on some things. I've tried not to give too much away from what's in the Quickstart rules, and tried to be vague when I could in my posts, but certain things are just getting under my skin.

Manage Household is a skill?  The game is called RuneQUEST, not HomeCLEAN (:D).  Farm and Herd skills would also apply in being questionable skills for an adventuring type of RPG, and, IMO, are just variant Lore skills.  Not that I'm totally against the skills (one has a use for this adventure), but isn't the focus of RQ becoming a hero, not a homebody?

Prepare Corpse skill?   Egads, you all joined in on the zombie fad?   

I really hope you're not going the RQ2 route of skill category bonuses and increases in 5% increments.  Those make RQ a glorified D20 system.  I much prefer the 1% increments incorporated in the later versions. (all the pre-gens have all but one skill % in 5% increments but this could be due to some quick generation system that created them)

Edited by GamingGlen

15 minutes ago, GamingGlen said:

Manage Household is a skill?  The game is called RuneQUEST, not HomeCLEAN (:D).

My hope is that this is taking a cue from Pendragon, so adventurers have a more grounded life style.

Edited by kaydet

2 hours ago, kaydet said:

My hope is that this is taking a cue from Pendragon, so adventurers have a more grounded life style.

Of course one can cheerfully disregard such things.

Not everyone wants to play Sims:Glorantha, but some may.

• Like 1

Sorry for venting.  I've been making a new character sheet, somewhat like the RQ3 one, so I've gotten a very close look at the pre-gens.  I plan on printing the pre-gens on these sheets for the players so they don't have to keep the book open on their PC all the time (plus spreading out the info so it's not so condensed).

Interestingly, to make all the skills fit in the center and rearranged the categories (I hope they stay lined up once submitted):

Agility                    Communication         Knowledge

Manipulation         Perception

Stealth

Thus, by happenstance, putting all the DEX-based skill categories in the same column.

Normally I prefer all the skills to be in alphabetical order, but seeing that certain spells add to a cat... oops. ;)  (I like it)

3 hours ago, kaydet said:

I just don't see Storm Bulls, Praxians, trolls, or pretty much anyone in Glorantha, well maybe those silly Westerners or the hated Lunars putting on airs, sitting in a drafty castle drinking tea with their pinkie held high.

18 minutes ago, GamingGlen said:

I just don't see Storm Bulls, Praxians, trolls, or pretty much anyone in Glorantha, well maybe those silly Westerners or the hated Lunars putting on airs, sitting in a drafty castle drinking tea with their pinkie held high.

Skills like housekeeping and farming are probably not basic adventuring skills, and probably are more like optional skills (a la Mythras' professional skills), or they're taking a leaf from RQ2 and implementing the "if a skill isn't here, you can make it up" rule.

My RQ2 character never used his Map Making Skill very much, despite it being included on the standard character sheet.

Regardless, I never felt the need to make a cartography joke out of the title of the game.

As with any game, there will always be a few skills many people seldom use, but some people love. It all depends on your campaign and your playing style.

I played an Issaries merchant who relied very much on Evaluate Treasure, Bargaining, and similar. Some of the other players at the table couldn't have cared less about those skills.

• Like 2

Hope that Helps,
Rick Meints - Chaosium, Inc.