Sneak Peek at RQG Quickstart

MOB

32 minutes ago, Rick Meints said:

My RQ2 character never used his Map Making Skill very much, despite it being included on the standard character sheet.

Regardless, I never felt the need to make a cartography joke out of the title of the game.

As with any game, there will always be a few skills many people seldom use, but some people love. It all depends on your campaign and your playing style.

I played an Issaries merchant who relied very much on Evaluate Treasure, Bargaining, and similar. Some of the other players at the table couldn't have cared less about those skills.

They may have cared if no one had those skills.  A group really only needs one map-maker to avoid getting lost, one appraiser of loot, and one to bargain for the best deals.

1 hour ago, GamingGlen said:

I just don't see Storm Bulls, Praxians, trolls, or pretty much anyone in Glorantha, well maybe those silly Westerners or the hated Lunars putting on airs, sitting in a drafty castle drinking tea with their pinkie held high.

You haven't visited Esrolia yet, or had to keep your carls happy, or heroquested to enhance your Harmony and Life runes.

Really, seriously, I'd ask people to stop with the spoilers.

I'd even recommend mods expurgate/censor the minor spoilers here.

We're going to have (we hope) tons of people flocking here to learn about this famed old/new system.  They shouldn't be hit with spoilers already.

As far as the rules, Jeff and MOB can confirm I'm possibly the crabbiest of critics most of the time..., but this isn't the right place to tear up the rules either, particularly as they have what, 6 more months to polish this stuff?

Mob, maybe start a rules discussion section in the public forum?

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, styopa said:

Really, seriously, I'd ask people to stop with the spoilers. ...We're going to have (we hope) tons of people flocking here to learn about this famed old/new system.  They shouldn't be hit with spoilers already. ...

Seconded.

If you have early access, you are presumably running it for Chaosium on Free RPG Day; those GM's don't mind the spoilers, I presume, because they'll be RUNNING the game, I presume..  There's a forum/thread for that; this isn't the venue.

• Like 3

C'es ne pas un .sig

I already edited out some of my own stuff.  But cut away.

Now that some of us have seen what there could be, now would be the time to give some input.  If there's a better, invite only access to discuss this, sign me up.

I haven't even touched upon the morokanth in the module (no, there's PROBABLY no morokanth in the adventure, but I don't believe elephants exist in Glorantha).

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, GamingGlen said:

...  If there's a better, invite only access to discuss this, sign me up.

Chaosium's "Cult of Chaos" Organized-Play program.

http://www.chaosium.com/join-the-cult-of-chaos/

Previously almost-pure Call of Cthulhu, now open to RQ since they have, y'know, RQ content.  They have a passwd-protected sub-forum under Cthulhu, just so these spoilerific details can be discussed...  :D

C'es ne pas un .sig

Manage Household has nothing to do with housekeeping. It represents your adventurer's ability to manage retainers, tenants, workers, lands, herds, whatever. Rather than have a whole bunch of separate Economics skills, we just rolled it all into the ability to manage their "household" (which could be a stead, a temple, a workshop, whatever). 

RuneQuest needs to be able to support a wide variety of playstyles. A LOT of people enjoy King of Dragon Pass/Pendragon Pass style play where farms and herds are a significant part of the play, and RuneQuest now supports that. You don't have to include that in your playstyle, but it is just as valid a style as adventuring in the Rubble (which RuneQuest also supports).

But with that I'm closing discussion of rules issues that pertain to the new rules until the new rules are released. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, styopa said:

Really, seriously, I'd ask people to stop with the spoilers.

I'd even recommend mods expurgate/censor the minor spoilers here.

We're going to have (we hope) tons of people flocking here to learn about this famed old/new system.  They shouldn't be hit with spoilers already.

As far as the rules, Jeff and MOB can confirm I'm possibly the crabbiest of critics most of the time..., but this isn't the right place to tear up the rules either, particularly as they have what, 6 more months to polish this stuff?

Mob, maybe start a rules discussion section in the public forum?

We have already set up a password protected thread in the Cult of Chaos subforum for the RQ Quickstart adventure. This is for the GMs running the adventure on Free RPG Day. Todd will be sending them their PDFs in the next day or so. That is the place for discussion about the rules and scenario, where you can ask questions, share ideas, and generally support one another. Jeff, Jason, Todd, Rick and myself will be checking in regularly.

With this being a private area, spoilers and secrets can be discussed without any players sneaking a peek. If you're already a member of the Cult of Chaos, you'll have the password and can participate. If not, feel free to join and you'll be given the password.

Please do not give away spoilers in this public forum. If you do your posts will be hidden.

• Like 3

On 2017-6-9 at 0:45 AM, GamingGlen said:

(yeah, I'm looking at the Quickstart in preparation of running the game... privilege of being a game store owner :)  )

You're in the fortunate position of having a copy already, but the Quickstart Rules have not been publicly released yet, nor will they be until Free RPG Day (June 17). We can have a public discussion about the contents of the book then, when more people can meaningfully participate.

In the mean time, please take any discussion of the Quickstart over to the password-protected Cult of Chaos thread. This was set up to assist the GMs running the Quickstart on Free RPG Day. They are receiving their PDF copy beforehand, by agreement with the Free RPG Day organizers, but have been asked not to publicly share it or any spoilers in keeping with the spirit of Free RPG Day.

Edited by MOB
  • Like 2