A new Apple Lane adventure....

Noita

Gotta honestly say, I'm a little surprised at the lack of comments from anyone at Eternal Con?

If copies of the quickstart are already going around at the con, it might not be unreasonable to get the pdf out to those running games in 2 weeks?  I know I certainly wouldn't mind as much time as possible to prep.

They are probably too busy gaming and circulating. Eternalcon is a great convention, but spare time to provide updates is very scarce indeed.

Edited by soltakss

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

13 hours ago, styopa said:

If copies of the quickstart are already going around at the con, it might not be unreasonable to get the pdf out to those running games in 2 weeks?  I know I certainly wouldn't mind as much time as possible to prep.

I think it was a "preview" or "sneak peek" or some such:  look-and-return (or fondle-and-return, as the case may be); not actual "copies circulating."

OTOH. I agree that if there ARE copies "circulating" now -- however limited the circulation (i.e. single-Con distribution) -- then I too would welcome a PDF for the Free-RPG-Day GM's...

C'es ne pas un .sig

8 hours ago, soltakss said:

They are probably too busy gaming and circulating. Eternalcon is a great convention, but spare time to provide updates is very scarce indeed.

I'd guess that there are at least a few Chaosium staff still back at home.  

19 hours ago, styopa said:

If copies of the quickstart are already going around at the con

I think we had the only two copies of the Quickstart at ukge and they were for browsing only. No copies can be given out until free rpg day (unless you are doing the GM thing for the day). Then like the Cthulhu QuickStart it can be downloaded for free or bought from the website. 

Edited by David Scott

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

On 6/5/2017 at 11:39 AM, David Scott said:

I think we had the only two copies of the Quickstart at ukge and they were for browsing only. No copies can be given out until free rpg day (unless you are doing the GM thing for the day). Then like the Cthulhu QuickStart it can be downloaded for free or bought from the website. 

That's exactly, what was told to us during Eternal Con. I was lucky enough to participate in a "Play Test" of the upcoming Runequest Quickstart GMed by Jason Durall - and it was explicitly stated, that this was a play test game, because they are not allowed to give out the end product before the official Free RPG Day.

I missed the new Apple Lane adventure completely (too busy with other topics), so I be would interested in a published version too ...

Edited by Oracle
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Oracle said:

That's exactly, what was told to us during Eternal Con. I was lucky enough to participate in a "Play Test" of the upcoming Runequest Quickstart GMed by Jason Durall - and it was explicitly stated, that this was a play test game, because they are not allowed to give out the end product before the official Free RPG Day.

I missed the new Apple Lane adventure completely (too busy with other topics), so I would interested in a published version too ...

Cool are you allowed to give any rules feedback?  If not specifics, then general impressions?  Did the 'updates' improve the RQ2 rules?  Play quickly but still feel like RQ should?  Very curious.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, styopa said:

Cool are you allowed to give any rules feedback?  If not specifics, then general impressions?  Did the 'updates' improve the RQ2 rules?  Play quickly but still feel like RQ should?  Very curious.

In fact I'm not the right one to tell you for different reasons:

• this was my first Runequest session after a long, long time (probably around 30 years) ...
  • I thought and still think the story and the Gamemaster as well as the players are more important than the used rule set ...
  • during the last years I concentrated on HeroQuest Glorantha, because that's supporting my approach to role playing games so perfectly ...

But besides that: as far as I can say, yes, it felt like Runequest, in fact even more so, because Runes played a much more important part than in previous versions (as far as I remember :)). So the 'updates' (that I could identify) improved the rules. And it definitely feels very Gloranthan, which makes it very attractive to me. Fighting did not take too much time and was overall short and effective (if not to say deadly, because it was not in all cases :)). The pre-generated characters in some cases gave me a suprisingly new view on how to define certain character types like Lhankor Mhy sages or Ernalda priestesses (but that may be just my personal view). The history of the pre-generated characters was created using the new rules for character history and gave them a background, which made them immediately more interesting. The new passions did drive the actions of some of the characters, which supported real role playing. Overall it was real fun to play through this scenario.

So I liked it and I will definitely give it a try as soon as the rules are available.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Dimbyd said:

Playtest report from the Runequest Roleplaying in Glorantha session at UK Expo: https://armchairadventurerblog.com/2017/06/05/1-d-6-runequest-glorantha-play-test/ 

Eternal Con notes: http://2ndage.blogspot.co.uk/2017/06/back-from-bacharach.html?m=1 

Great links, thanks.

Just a note, I haven't seen the Howling Tower, but https://armchairadventurerblog.com/2017/06/05/1-d-6-runequest-glorantha-play-test/ seems to have some pretty solid spoilers. (One should expect that in a recap of a session, but just making it explicit)

From the other:

"18 CHA is needed to become a Rune Lord." - er...?

1 hour ago, jajagappa said:

What it takes to Convince the Examiners!  Or perhaps to get the attention of the Gods.

Often, the role of "Rune Lord" is the same as being a leader of the community, so the high CHA may be required by (some) Cults.  Maybe something specific was over-generalized; or maybe not.  Easy enough to HR, if desired!

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

On 6/3/2017 at 6:26 AM, Iskallor said:

So there's one out there, about to be run by Jeff, which involves the Rainbow mounds, Tusk Riders, Dwarves, Dragonnewts and Dragons, set in 1625.

Will this be released at the same ime as the new rules?

It's part of the GM Pack, and should be released simultaneously with the core rulebook and the bestiary.

On 6/4/2017 at 3:51 PM, styopa said:

Gotta honestly say, I'm a little surprised at the lack of comments from anyone at Eternal Con?

Yes, it's hard to find time away from the convention, and wifi is not awesome there. That said, it's a castle on a hill overlooking the Rhine, so if there's a time to put the glowing screen down... it's then. 

Copies weren't floating around. I haven't seen a print copy yet, and they're due to arrive in Europe sometime later this week. 

On 6/5/2017 at 4:56 AM, g33k said:

I think it was a "preview" or "sneak peek" or some such:  look-and-return (or fondle-and-return, as the case may be); not actual "copies circulating."

OTOH. I agree that if there ARE copies "circulating" now -- however limited the circulation (i.e. single-Con distribution) -- then I too would welcome a PDF for the Free-RPG-Day GM's...

Prospective GMs have been given preview copies of the .pdf as part of the Cult of Chaos program.  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Jason Durall said:

Copies weren't floating around. I haven't seen a print copy yet, and they're due to arrive in Europe sometime later this week. 

Prospective GMs have been given preview copies of the .pdf as part of the Cult of Chaos program.  

There was a photo posted by MOB on G+, showing a physical copy of the QS booklet; apparently there were exactly *2* copies on hand... *NOT* being distributed (but that wasn't clear from the original photo posted, so some of us understood there to be stacks of 'em being given out...) .

As noted, though, FreeRPGDay GM's have their PDF's, and are already nitpicking.  Me, included... love it, nitpicking it.  Hey, the delving-in and the effort to "fix" things just shows how much we love it, right?   ;-)

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

22 minutes ago, g33k said:

There was a photo posted by MOB on G+, showing a physical copy of the QS booklet; apparently there were exactly *2* copies on hand... *NOT* being distributed (but that wasn't clear from the original photo posted, so some of us understood there to be stacks of 'em being given out...) .

Exactly 2, although many people spent a lot of time "reviewing" the copies. I didn't even get to take one home :-) Free RPG day has strict rules on the products that are involved in their days: "You can't sell them or release them prior to the event. Nor can you require a purchase from a customer to get an item. The only exception is for people running games in your store. Obviously, your GMs need to have read the modules they're going to run." (from the FreeRPG website).

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

6 hours ago, g33k said:

As noted, though, FreeRPGDay GM's have their PDF's, and are already nitpicking.  Me, included... love it, nitpicking it.  Hey, the delving-in and the effort to "fix" things just shows how much we love it, right?   ;-)

As much as the nitpicking HAS to annoy MOB and Jeff and Jason to some degree, I'd only submit that the opposite - a cricket-chirping of no response at all - would be a far, far worse thing generally.

13 hours ago, styopa said:

As much as the nitpicking HAS to annoy MOB and Jeff and Jason to some degree, I'd only submit that the opposite - a cricket-chirping of no response at all - would be a far, far worse thing generally.

We're happy for any/all feedback. Even stuff we don't act on is useful to hear.