It starts with a duck, ends with a f****.

skarl

I just don't want to type the word furry, but it is maybe the best descriptor.

So this happened....after talking to the manager of the flgs a few times he asked me to run a game, so I dragged a ton of rpgs into the local comic/game store, hinting at Mythras as a generic core to build on for fantasy as I have already started with Symbaroum by bringing in elements from that setting.

What did he seize on and show to others? Simon Washbourne's Woodland Warriors 2e and James V. West's Rabbits & Rangers. So he is totally sold on an anthropomorphic game. Totally. And I'm fine with that. But I want to run Mythras. Has anyone run a game like this or am I going to write it out? Any advice? I totally think it is a fun idea, a lot of tropes and other things are dropped in a world of talking badgers and mice. I'm steering away from Mouse Guard and adding more intelligent animals and of course magic. 

Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

But, when at the last the arm of Skarl shall cease to beat his drum, silence shall startle Pegana like thunder in a cave, and MANA-YOOD-SUSHAI shall cease to rest......Lord Dunsany

Responsible for: https://ancientvaults.wordpress.com/

I have not run a game like this.

i would assume all the animals have +/-3 off human norm for most stats, except for siz and int which I would just keep human norm, or just raise the minimum/lower the maximum depending on animal species. I would mix builds (heavy, lithe) for  size appearance, and maybe some strength mods. 

Many animals are going to have an ability or two. Pick ones that highlight them as major features - bats get flight and echolocation, rabbits get leaped (see Usagi Yojimbo), etc. animals with claws and the like should get those right out of the natural weapons table.

I don't know that I'd worry too much about balance. If I did, I'd probably shoot for each ability approximately equal to a stat modification, but, frankly, I think as long as everyone gets an ability, it should work well. Each one a special snowflake. Just don't go overboard (my tiger gets claws and night sight and leaper and blood sense and camouflaged and frenzy and intimidate and +3 to strength and dex, obviously)

• Like 1

I expected something completely different, based on the title.

Whilst Historia Rodentia is not my cup of tea, it sounds perfect for what was described.

• Like 2

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

Thanks for the replies, I'm taking this all into consideration. One player wants the game to be serious, not light and fluffy, which I am totally fine with myself.

Well, soltakss, since RQ had ducks I figured I could use a play on words, plus, there is one more dash for f*rry, I just am not into that concept. 

But, when at the last the arm of Skarl shall cease to beat his drum, silence shall startle Pegana like thunder in a cave, and MANA-YOOD-SUSHAI shall cease to rest......Lord Dunsany

Responsible for: https://ancientvaults.wordpress.com/

I agree with the idea of using Legend's 'Historia Rodentia', as it is designed exactly for this kind of game.

Legend products are 95% compatible with Mythras, so it makes little difference if used with Legend or Mythras as the core system.

Another idea I was considering was to do The Wind In The Willows setting using HQ, but that's another matter. If you are fixed on Mythras, then at least get the Historia Rodentia pdf; it does most of the work for you.

And, like Simon, I also did not know what to expect this thread to be about, based on its title, heh heh

Edited by Mankcam

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"