Hardcover or softcover?

The binding dilemma  

6 members have voted

1. 1. What kind of binding for the next print run of Revolution D100?

• Hardcover, at a substantially higher price
    • Softcover, at the same price

We are now approaching the time for a new print run of Revolution D100. While we have sticked to a softcover for the first print run and for the copies that will come with Red Moon Rising, the book itself could use a hardcover edition. But even if a hardcover would be more appropriate to the size of the core rules, such a book would cost much more than the current edition, easily reaching a $50 tag or more.

Before making any decision, what do you customers think of the idea? Would it be worth the additional expense? Would the additional usability be worth the price?

Proud member of the Evil CompetitionTM

Most hardcover rpg books retail around the $50 USD, so I dont think thats a major issue. I know hardcovers look better on the store shelves, and personally I prefer nice hardcovers, otherwise I tend to go for pdfs instead.

Edited by Mankcam

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

I voted, but I'll throw my voice in here as well. I'd prefer a hardcover. Mostly because I already have a softcover and I'll potentially have another from the RMR Kickstarter. Hardcovers also tend to lay flat on the table better than softcovers in a book this size.

• 3 weeks later...

After a first round of inverstigations about the feasibility of a hardcover - which seems to be the most popular option - we are still stuck with an undesirable price tag, unless we decrease the quality of the binding, with the consequent risk of the volume falling apart if you use it at the table.

Question: assuming we launch a crowdfunding to update the production line to hardcover without over-taxing customers, would some of the current users of the system support it or would anyone cry scandal because we re-crowdfund a few days after delivering the last reward of the original cf?

The CF would be strictly a "give us the money, get your hardback in a month or so, printing and shipping time" affair. No fancy stuff that requires more production time, as we are already at work on Red Moon Rising.

• Like 2

Proud member of the Evil CompetitionTM

I certainly wouldn't be crying scandal - these days I prefer either pdfs for my tablet, or good quality hardcovers for my book shelf, and don't really see the point of having anything in-between. So I would invest in the hardcover. But that's just me...

Edited by Mankcam
  • Like 1

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

6 hours ago, RosenMcStern said:

After a first round of inverstigations about the feasibility of a hardcover - which seems to be the most popular option - we are still stuck with an undesirable price tag, unless we decrease the quality of the binding, with the consequent risk of the volume falling apart if you use it at the table.

Question: assuming we launch a crowdfunding to update the production line to hardcover without over-taxing customers, would some of the current users of the system support it or would anyone cry scandal because we re-crowdfund a few days after delivering the last reward of the original cf?

The CF would be strictly a "give us the money, get your hardback in a month or so, printing and shipping time" affair. No fancy stuff that requires more production time, as we are already at work on Red Moon Rising.

I would support it.

Check out our homebrew rules for freeform magic in BRP ->

No reason for Ars Magica players to have all the fun!

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/4/2017 at 8:52 AM, Mankcam said:

I certainly wouldn't be crying scandal - these days I prefer either pdfs for my tablet, or good quality hardcovers for my book shelf, and don't really see the point of having anything in-between. So I would invest in the hardcover. But that's just me...

Exactly this. I'll gladly pay more for a smyth-sewn hardcover!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...