Where can one find stats for a Nightmare?

Pentallion

Big Damn Book of monsters has one....

Nightmare

STR - 4d6+18; CON - 3d6; SIZ - 4d6 + 20; INT - 3d6 + 6; POW - 3d6; DEX - 2d6 + 6; MOVE 12/14fly; HP - 21; DB - +3d6;

Attacks: Bite 40% 1d6; Kick 35% 1d6+db; Trample 75% 2d6+db

Skills: Dodge 50%; Fly 50%

Treasure: None; Armour: 1d6-1

Also known as "demon horses" and "hell horses," nightmares are creatures from the lower planes. They are ridden primarily by the more powerful demons and devils as well as by night hags. On occasion the serve as steeds for undead such as spectres, vampires and liches. Nightmares can fly, become ethereal, and roam the astral plane. They hate material life and attack viciously, even without a rider to command them. The hell horse is gaunt and skeletal with huge red eyes, flaming orange nostrils, and hooves which burn like embers. The coat is a dead black, and the creatures mane and tail are wild and rugged. Creatures of 100+ alliance with Shadow may be granted a Nightmare as a mount as reward for Apotheosis. 

7 hours ago, Pentallion said:

Okay, let me restate my question:  Where can I find stats for Nightmares in GLORANTHA.  But thanks Baconjurer for trying.

What precisely would differentiate a D&D(tm) Nightmare from a Gloranthan (tm) Nightmare?

If that doesn't work, why not just make your own?

STR:  demonic, as horse +6

CON: demonic, as horse +6

SIZ: about the same as a large horse, call it horse +3

INT: smart as a person, certainly, say 2d6+6

POW: demonic, I'd say 4d6+6

DEX: as horse, maybe +3

Runs 1.5x as fast as horse, flies as fast as horse runs.

Of course, your Nightmare May Vary.

10 hours ago, Yelm's Light said:

Sounds like a D&D description with stats converted to RQ.  Lower planes...night hags...become ethereal?

Of course it is.  The BDMoM *is* a conversion of D&D creatures to RQ stats.

Hero Wars, Narrator's Book, p.96

Diokos, demon steed of the Black Horse Troop

Significant Abilities: Bite & Claw Fighting 2W^2, Thick Skin ^2, Hear Noise 12, Jump 18, Large 8W, Resist Rider 12, Run Fast 2W, Run Long Distance 14, See in Dark 18, Strong 5W, Terrify Natural Animals 18.

Also see Hero Wars, Players Book, p.105 for more descriptive information on the Demon Steeds.

[I don't recall anything ever done on Nightmares for RQ unless there was something in the Gateway Bestiary.]

Edited by jajagappa

28 minutes ago, jajagappa said:

Hero Wars, Narrator's Book, p.96

Diokos, demon steed of the Black Horse Troop

Significant Abilities: Bite & Claw Fighting 2W^2, Thick Skin ^2, Hear Noise 12, Jump 18, Large 8W, Resist Rider 12, Run Fast 2W, Run Long Distance 14, See in Dark 18, Strong 5W, Terrify Natural Animals 18.

Also see Hero Wars, Players Book, p.105 for more descriptive information on the Demon Steeds.

[I don't recall anything ever done on Nightmares for RQ unless there was something in the Gateway Bestiary.]

Jajagappa, I don't own Hero Wars.  Can you post up a regular horse in that game as a comparison?  Perhaps then it would be easier for me to make the RQ conversion.

16 hours ago, Pentallion said:

I used to know, but can't find it anywhere.

AFAIK, there never was a "Nightmare" (big black dream-invading horse) as a RQ-native creature.

The closest I recall (as noted above) would be the "Demon Steed" mounts from Sir Ethilrist's Black Horse Troop.

Also worth considering (also as noted above) would be the converted D&D creature; the "Big Damn Book of Monsters" is a BRP/MW conversion (so, 95%-98% RQ2/RQ3 compatible) of the original 3 AD&D Monster books -- Monster Manual, Fiend Folio, and Monster Manual II .

And I think that's about it ...

C'es ne pas un .sig

1 hour ago, Pentallion said:

Jajagappa, I don't own Hero Wars.  Can you post up a regular horse in that game as a comparison?  Perhaps then it would be easier for me to make the RQ conversion

It was hard to tell from your original post what you might or might not have. 

This was the Anaxial's Roster version of the common horse.

Significant Abilities: Hearing 12, Jump 18, Large 5w, Run Fast 2w, Run Long Distance 14, Strong 2w.

There actually was one listed in the the White Dwarf article Dealing with Demons.  Part II

Don't remember if they had stats, and book is to far away to easily get.

"Nightmare Large black demon horses who travel at a speed of 30 km/ hour. They require a pint of the summoner's blood. "

21 hours ago, Pentallion said:

Okay, let me restate my question:  Where can I find stats for Nightmares in GLORANTHA.  But thanks Baconjurer for trying.

There are none, as Nightmares are not a Gloranthan monster. However stats for Black Horse and Hell Hounds are in the forthcoming Bestiary.

• Like 1

Based on the above information (Herowars book) I present Demon Steed from the Encounter Generator http://skoll.xyz/mythras_eg/enemy_template/5832/ They are slightly bigger and stronger than war horses. Input welcome.

I could not find my Herowars players' handbook anywhere. Are any of these old ones still available as PDF. I have everything that is in the Chaosium website. 

1 hour ago, hkokko said:

I could not find my Herowars players' handbook anywhere. Are any of these old ones still available as PDF. I have everything that is in the Chaosium website. 

I asked about this before, and no, none of the core rulebooks for HW/HQ1 are available as pdfs (at least legally), and Chaosium has not shown interest in making them available for purchase.

37 minutes ago, Richard S. said:

I asked about this before, and no, none of the core rulebooks for HW/HQ1 are available as pdfs (at least legally), and Chaosium has not shown interest in making them available for purchase.

Then I need to go back digging. I have all of them (all) but this one eludes my search.

3 minutes ago, hkokko said:

Found it. Hero Wars - Roleplaying in Glorantha - has a nice chapter. Revised the Black Horses based on that. Good tidbits of material that I had forgotten - need to read more...

Keep in mind, that the HW writeup is not canonical and has already been supplanted by the Guide. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jeff said:

Keep in mind, that the HW writeup is not canonical and has already been supplanted by the Guide. 

Sure, this is what we have now - future is unclear yet - so instead of waiting - why not be creating. It can be changed if and when need be :-)

On 2017-06-14 at 7:44 AM, 7Tigers said:

Ican't say for sure if there isn't one hidden away somewhere, but I wrote this one because I couldn't find one statted up anywhere else. I did it as the base mount for Ethilhrist's Black Horse Company.

Black Horse

At the start of the Third Age, Seshnela sank, and the Red Moon was born, which doomed the Carmanian Empire. The worship of the Invisible God in Peloria was left in the hands of mercenary captains who acted as Priests and Knights for their troops. One of these mercenary captains was Sir Ethilrist.

Sir Ethilrist was a mercenary captain from Ralios, a descendant of the Hero Arkat. After a series of defeats, he led his Troop across the great mountains, through the Syndics Ban, and into the Lunar Empire. To avoid the Ban, he led his troop through Hell. When they left Ralios they were the White Horse Troop. When they emerged on the western borders of the empire they were the Black Horse Troop, and Ethilrist was a Hero.

The Black Horses of the Black Horse Troop were taken from the herds started when the Sun was a resident of Hell. The conditions of Hell made for a very different breed of horse, to the extent that they are carnivorous and capable of fighting with bite and claw like a cat. They are also heavily armored naturally and can see in the dark like Trolls. A new Black Horse is not foaled until one has died, for only a set number of Black Horse spirits, 2600 to be exact, were taken from Hell.

The Black Horses are pitch black in color, and instead of hooves, they have fierce claws like a cat. Their teeth are sharp. They are found only in Black Horse County or with the Black Horse Troop.

The characteristics of the Black Horses are as follows:

Black Horse

Characteristics

Average

STR

3D6+24

33-36

Move

CON

1D6+12

15-16

Hit Points

20-21

SIZ

2D6+24

Magic Points

15-16

POW

3D6+6

15-16

Base SR

INT

3D6

10–11

DEX

4D6

CHA

3D6

10-11

D20

Armor/HP

Right Hind Leg

01–02

5/6

Left Hind Leg

03–04

5/6

Hindquarter

05–07

5/8

Forequarter

08–10

5/8

Right Fore Leg

11–13

5/6

Left Fore Leg

14–16

5/6

Head

17–20

5/7

Weapon

%

Damage

SR

Pts

Bite

3D6

Claw

1D6+3D6

Rear & Plunge

2D6+3D6

Note: A Black Horse may attack with its Bite and Claw simultaneously, or may make a Rear & Plunge attack.

Armor: 5 points of shadowy hide.

Spells: A black horse usually has spirit magic spells equal to its CHA.

• Like 9

15 minutes ago, Revilo Divad Of Dyoll said:

Shouldn't a Black Horse have sorcery?

Well they're underworld creatures and thus have no boundaries on what magics they can use unlike other otherworld beings. Their masters use sorcery, but the horses can do whatever they like. At least, whatever they like that Jeff approves as canon.

Edited by Richard S.