OpenQuest Refreshed is now available

Newt

The new updated version of OpenQuest is now available. Its a slight tidy of up and revision of the OpenQuest 2 Deluxe version that I released over five years ago, with a new cover by Jon Hodgson and all new full colour art by Jeshields inside.

Its now available via the D101 Web Store

Its also available via DriveThruRpg.com

If you are looking for more information about what this new edition involves, and the plans for supplements going forward, check out this blog post over my Sorcerer Under Mountain blog.

Here's the new cover by Jon Hodgson.

OpenQuest cover by Jon Hodgson 

Edited by Newt
  • Like 2

Head Honcho of D101 Games
Publisher of Crypts and Things/Monkey/OpenQuest/River of Heaven
The Sorcerer Under the Mountain

I just ordered it on rpgnow and have been reviewing the PDF....the new edition looks great! Very nice edition and I love the new art, thinking this will be my go-to iteration of BRP going forward. Been talking with my cohorts this morning about the rules and campaign ideas already.

Edited by camazotz
  • Like 2

I've not got an eta on OpenQuest Basics.

In theory it should be a straightforward, cut and paste of the revised combat chapter and a quick proof and mirroring of any changes made in the big book refreshed version. But I've got to work out whether its worth my time doing a printed version of Basics - I can count sales of the previous print editions of Basic on one hand.

There is also the temptation to spend a bit more time revising it. 

If I started tomorrow It could be a month away or if its a longer job, which is going to be lower on my priority list (since I don't actually make money directly from it - but indirectly when people come back to buy the fuller game), by the end of the year.

Actually OQ Basics is the one I use at the gaming table (although I have OQ in my bookcase and in my iPad). The digest format just feels very handy, like the Legend rpg book was very handy in a similar respect. For me it much more important having OQBasics in a print edition than having the full rules - I can also refer to my pdf version of the full rules, but the digest hard copy is perfect at the gaming table for me to refer to, or to hand around to the players.

For me I kind of like the idea of a rules-lite BRP rule set being in a digest-sized book. In many ways I would of preferred to see the entire line in that format. Sorry to hear that I may be a minority with this

Edited by Mankcam
  • Like 2

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

8 hours ago, Mankcam said:

Actually OQ Basics is the one I use at the gaming table (although I have OQ in my bookcase and in my iPad). The digest format just feels very handy, like the Legend rpg book was very handy in a similar respect. For me it much more important having OQBasics in a print edition than having the full rules - I can also refer to my pdf version of the full rules, but the digest hard copy is perfect at the gaming table for me to refer to, or to hand around to the players.

For me I kind of like the idea of a rules-lite BRP rule set being in a digest-sized book. In many ways I would of preferred to see the entire line in that format. Sorry to hear that I may be a minority with this

This is exactly how I think too! 

Unfortunately I don't have the digest-sized version, as the previous one disappeared (in print) from DTRPG before I could order it. 

But even when using a pdf, I tend to open Basics more often than my shiny Deluxe :)

• Like 2

If you've bought OpenQuest Refreshed over the last week or so since its release you have my heartfelt thanks. Its had a good opening week, up there with some of my best sellers :)

So I guess OpenQuest is back up and running :)

• Like 4

You're welcome and it's us who's grateful for keeping up the great work! :) OQ has some of the most elegant design solutions and presentation features I've seen and enjoyed in RPGs. It's a pleasure to support such a product.

OQ and Renaissance are definitely my favourinte incarnations of d100 system.

Cheers!

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Newt said:

If you've bought OpenQuest Refreshed over the last week or so since its release you have my heartfelt thanks. Its had a good opening week, up there with some of my best sellers :)

So I guess OpenQuest is back up and running :)

You're welcome :)  Though I had intended to pick up the physical book from DTRPG before I saw the post about the impending refresh. In which case my purchase would have been lost in the data stream of the old (non-fresh) version.

• Like 1

High-Fives, Newt!

Ordered mine and d/l-ed the .pdf. Looking forward to fielding to displaying it at my next game.

Cheers!

• Like 1

Present home-port: home-brew BRP/OQ SRD variant; past ports-of-call: SB '81, RQIII '84, BGB '08, RQIV(Mythras) '12,  MW '15, and OQ '17

BGB BRP: 0 edition: 20/420; .pdf edition: 06/11/08; 1st edition: 06/13/08

• 2 weeks later...

OpenQuest Basic Edition - the 6 inch by 9 inch 167 page version, has now been updated to reflect the changes made in OQ Refreshed.  So if you want to see what the reorganised Combat chapter is like I'd recommend checking out this free download.

It's currently going through DriveThru's print proofing process, so the printed version should be ready in 1-2 weeks.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

It's STILL riddled with typos. I'm very disappointed you didn't take up my offer to freely spellcheck and correct the manuscript before you rushed it into print for UK Games Expo. While this is print-on-demand and could conceivably be updated with corrections if you still wanted them, I'm not anticipating that...

• 3 weeks later...

Have I gone insane or did the OpenQuest Refreshed print versions disappear overnight on Drivethrurpg? I just ordered a copy via the d101 Games store....

But, when at the last the arm of Skarl shall cease to beat his drum, silence shall startle Pegana like thunder in a cave, and MANA-YOOD-SUSHAI shall cease to rest......Lord Dunsany

Responsible for: https://ancientvaults.wordpress.com/

Hi Skarl

No, you've not gone mad. I've just updated the version to 1.1, and as well as applying the hand full of fixes to the pdf version I've added them to print version.  Which means they become unavailable on DriveThruRPG for a week or so.

I'll be sending you the up to date version, so be aware that there will be a delay of about a week while I get new copies in.

Thank you for the prompt reply and information!

I usually buy a couple of print copies for myself and often give a couple out to friends (a writer friend is very happy with Crypts & Things and is wanting to get a game together, he is also a heavy metal guitarist of note) and with shipping from Across the Pond $40 a book for a softcover adds up quickly.

But, when at the last the arm of Skarl shall cease to beat his drum, silence shall startle Pegana like thunder in a cave, and MANA-YOOD-SUSHAI shall cease to rest......Lord Dunsany

Responsible for: https://ancientvaults.wordpress.com/

Hi Stephan

The DriveThru PODs are the only versions available since it doesn't make sense for me to do them any other way. I have dreams of doing an OpenQuest 10th Anniversary Special Edition which would be in hard back with a very limited print run, that would fund via Kickstarter and only be available to backers, but that's what they are for the moment ;) 

River of Heaven is getting updated as we speak, so I'd hold off getting a print version until that's done. If you get the pdf now, it will be updated to the new version when it comes out. 

On 9/5/2017 at 5:48 PM, skarl said:

Thank you for the prompt reply and information!

I usually buy a couple of print copies for myself and often give a couple out to friends (a writer friend is very happy with Crypts & Things and is wanting to get a game together, he is also a heavy metal guitarist of note) and with shipping from Across the Pond $40 a book for a softcover adds up quickly.

I'm sorry you've got caught as I'm transitioned between print editions. I've sent you a pm to see if I can sort things out for you. 

• Like 1

So OpenQuest hardcover it is (for now), as soon as DriveThru has it back on the order page.

Will River of Heaven be revamped too or is it a bug-fix release?

Oh, and... great work! As far as I am concerned, OpenQuest ist the best set of BRP rules currently available.

kind regards,

Stephan

Edited by theodis171