RQG Quickstart errata thread

trystero

This thread is for collection of errata in the RuneQuest Quickstart Rules and Adventure booklet; my hope is that some of these can be corrected or clarified for the 1 July 2017 PDF and print-on-demand releases.

p. 7, Strike Rank Modifiers table and Magical Attacks and Strike Rank section: These sections both say that the first Magic Point in a spirit-magic spell does not add to the strike rank of the casting, conflicting with the Spell Strike Rank section on p. 20.

p. 18, Spirit Magic section: Says that spirit magic spells usually have duration of two minutes, conflicting with Duration section on p. 20.

p. 20, Spell Strike Rank section: This section says that all Magic Points in a spirit-magic spell add to the strike rank of the casting, conflicting with the Strike Rank Modifiers table and the Magical Attacks and Strike Rank section on p. 7.

p. 20, Duration section: Says that all temporal spirit-magic spells last five minutes (25 rounds), conflicting with Spirit Magic section on p. 18.

Back cover (bottom centre): In the "For more information about Chaosium..." text, "seeour" should be "see our".

— 
Self-discipline isnt everything; look at Pol Pot.”
—Helen Fielding, Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason

p. 16, Thrown or Dropped Objects section: Is each 3 kg of object weight supposed to add +1D8 damage to the base 1D3, or is this a typo for +1D3? Adding 1D8 seems like a lot...

— 

p. 17, Results of Damage section, "Damage Equals or Exceeds the Hit Location's Hit Points" bullet point: In the third line, "the character calls to the ground" should be "the character falls to the ground".

— 

I actually don't have the QS at hand right now, but in the fire elemental's stats it says that it can engulf its cubic meter volume times ten in size. The Fire elemental is 3x3x3 metres big, which means it has a volume of 27 cubic meters (which is also its size) - that means that it would be able to engulf 270 points of size! I think that can't be right, one point per cubic metre would make much more sense ...

• Like 1

@Jakob, I agree about the elemental stats.

p. 18, Magic Points section: In the first paragraph's fourth line, "additional magic pointed added" should be "additional magic points added".

— 

p. 18, Resistance Roll section: The second sentence says an adventurer can try to augment their POW for the POW vs. POW contest using the Meditation skill, and refers readers to the Meditation sidebar on p. 20, but that sidebar only mentions using Meditation to regain Magic Points. Is this just supposed to be a regular skill augment?

— 

14 hours ago, Paid a bod yn dwp said:

Not sure if this is appropriate for an errata ....

There doesn't appear to be any indication of the range of the PC's ranged weapons. Despite this we have a section on "Range" and its effect on missile weapons effectiveness on p14

Again, quick-start rules were very chopped to fit.

• Like 1

Here's what we're going to do going forward:

Cult of Chaos Forum (password protected) - Discussion, questions, post mortems about "The Broken Tower" scenario in the RuneQuest Quickstart

RuneQuest Forum - Discussion about the RQG rules themselves, and the rules as presented in the RuneQuest Quickstart. No discussion or spoilers about "The Broken Tower" please.

Please note the Tribal Edit thread for the QS book is in the Cult of Chaos forum now.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, MOB said:

Cult of Chaos Forum (password protected) - Discussion, questions, post mortems about "The Broken Tower" scenario in the RuneQuest Quickstart

RuneQuest Forum - Discussion about the RQG rules themselves, and the rules as presented in the RuneQuest Quickstart. No discussion or spoilers about "The Broken Tower" please.

Please note the Tribal Edit thread for the QS book is in the Cult of Chaos forum now.

Am I understanding this correctly? So rules errata stuff is in the password-protected Cult of Chaos forum (so a lot of people here won't see that), but rules discussions take place here? Surely lots of duplication?

12 hours ago, Steve said:

Am I understanding this correctly? So rules errata stuff is in the password-protected Cult of Chaos forum (so a lot of people here won't see that), but rules discussions take place here? Surely lots of duplication?

Scenario stuff is (understandably) Cult-restricted until general release.

So is errata because (a) it may, willy-nilly, have spoilers & (b) it isn't generally-useful until the QS booklet is generally-released.

Discussions of rules/mechanics is open for public discussion (so long as scenario-spoilers are avoided).

C'es ne pas un .sig

On 6/22/2017 at 5:08 AM, MOB said:

RuneQuest Forum - Discussion about the RQG rules themselves, and ...

???!?

Ahem.

Does this mean that Chaosium is relaxing the NDA's that RQG playtesters have (presumably) been quieted by?  Is it actually available for them to talk about in public?

C'es ne pas un .sig

4 hours ago, g33k said:

Scenario stuff is (understandably) Cult-restricted until general release.

So is errata because (a) it may, willy-nilly, have spoilers & (b) it isn't generally-useful until the QS booklet is generally-released.

Discussions of rules/mechanics is open for public discussion (so long as scenario-spoilers are avoided).

Yes, exactly.

4 hours ago, g33k said:

Does this mean that Chaosium is relaxing the NDA's that RQG playtesters have (presumably) been quieted by? 

The RQG rules as shown in the RQ Quickstart, and as discussed in Jeff's RQ Designer Notes articles, etc.

4 hours ago, g33k said:

Is it actually available for them to talk about in public?

Not yet.

Edited by MOB

So we can discuss the RQG QS rules, ask questions and point out errata in this forum, which might duplicate a whole load of effort that's already gone on in the Cult of Chaos forum. Doesn't make sense to me. Why don't we have all the non-scenario-specific discussion here, out in the open?

What am I missing?

Edited by Steve

6 hours ago, Steve said:

So we can discuss the RQG QS rules, ask questions and point out errata in this forum, which might duplicate a whole load of effort that's already gone on in the Cult of Chaos forum. Doesn't make sense to me. Why don't we have all the non-scenario-specific discussion here, out in the open?

What am I missing?

We are supposed to "have all the non-scenario-specific discussion here, out in the open."  So:  not missing much!  ;)

The only bit of your list that should NOT be out here in the general forum is the "errata" -- because some of those may have scenario-content.

Plenty of errata WON'T of course... but some will.

I suppose one could have separate "rules-only"(public) and "scenario/spoiler" (Cult of Chaos) lists of errata, but that gets confusing; and inevitably, someone will "helpfully" contribute spoilerific errata to the public list (particularly since the QS seems to have generated a lot of enthusiasm amongst newbies, and from prodigal Gloranthans returned to their roots ... who could thus discover this forum late, and not see these thrashing-through discussions).  So Chaosium says no-thank-you to that.

Yes, some overlap/duplication is possible, even likely.

Chaosium has asked us to accept that, in favor of being more rigorous about keeping spoilers away from those who haven't played it, but want to.

• Like 2

C'es ne pas un .sig

Two more errata additions:
page 5 (same problem as in the errata so far "Left Leg 05-09" instead of "Left Leg 05-08")

page 35 Sprukl-Pa (and again the "Left Leg 05-09" instead of "Left Leg 05-08")

page 45 and page 46

Harmast and Sorala have the Fire Rune.
The Rune in the font that was used in the bpottom of the sheet is the HEAT rune (small circle inside a bigger circle) instead of the FIRE rune (black dot inside a bigger circle).

• Like 1

Just a couple of small things I found with the resistance table, p6:
"POW of attacking/defending force" - would read better as characteristic rather than POW. 
Also, the text in the last paragraph states that a line means only a roll of 01-05 is successful. This doesn't work for the upper-right section where the attacking force is so much greater. Would suggest that another symbol is used for clarity. 

- p13 Melee Round says that the sequence is "Statement/Move Unengaged Characters/Resolve Melee, Missile & Spells by SR/Bookkeeping". However the example on p7 "Multiple Activities" has an unengaged character casting a spell first, then moving which doesn't fit with the Melee sequence.

- p15 Shooting at Moving Targets mentions the use of Evade, but this should really be more explicit under movement and/or combat

- p16 Two Weapon use says that they can be used for two attacks, two parries or one attack and one parry. Given that multiple parries at cumulative -20% are now allowed it makes no sense to specify this here. I guess this is a direct cut and paste from RQ2.

- p18 Resistance Rolls says that you use POW vs POW to overcome targets - p6 Resistance Table says magic point vs magic points. The latter would fit with earlier versions of RQ. p20 for Rune Spells also says POW.

- p45 Sorala has INT 20, p46 Harmast has INT 19 (and no PC has INT < 15). Not necessarily errata, but INT either at 3d6 or 2d6+6 won't work, and INT was something you couldn't train previously.

- p47 Vasana's Bison has no INT?

- p47/48 The Small Earth and Fire elementals have a MOV of 0 - is that intentional?  

Edited by d(sqrt(-1))
  • Like 1

Always start what you finish.

3 hours ago, d(sqrt(-1)) said:

- p47/48 The Small Earth and Fire elementals have a MOV of 0 - is that intentional? 

It's been commented on elsewhere.  The value should be for the Damage Bonus.  The MOV value is missing.  Correct values for the Earth Elemental are listed in the Vishi Dun character.

Sure, but the sequence is to move unengaged characters and if they move half they can then engage in melee, cast spells etc which must be done in the resolution phase. If you don't do that then you are back to people moving and taking SR actions whether they are engaged or not at the same time. So something doesn't fit. 

7 hours ago, jajagappa said:

It's been commented on elsewhere.  The value should be for the Damage Bonus.  The MOV value is missing.  Correct values for the Earth Elemental are listed in the Vishi Dun character.

Ok thanks, I didn't see mention of it and the errata is still fairly small.

(Checks Vishi Dun) So the small Earth elemental does no damage it just holds on to things. I guess you can check STR vs STR each round to escape?

It also has no SR listed and I don't think the means to calculate it are in the QS. Its SIZ is large, DEX may be low and the weapon should count as SR 0, so probably about 3-4 SR, although these seem somewhat odd considerations for its SR. If summoned by Rune spell on SR 1 can it act in the same melee round? Can it appear directly under a PC?

(Checked RQ2):

Elemental takes 1 mr to form, 1 mr to take orders, can appear anywhere within 60 m, will automatically attack anything in or on top of it and while the summoner is giving orders neither they nor the elemental can do anything else (including parry).

Move: Shade 12, Fire 6 Water 6 Earth 3 Air 12

Earth Elementals used to do 4d6 to each leg - ouch!

None of them have DEX listed. For SR I guess their size and weapon is mostly irrelevant. I would put Air and Shades as High Dex, Fire and Water as medium-ish, and Earth as low, but as the Earth elemental only has to open a pit maybe that doesn't matter? They all pretty much attack by engulfing, so they only need to move over a PC to do their attack.

Edited by d(sqrt(-1))