RQG Quickstart errata thread

trystero

1 hour ago, d(sqrt(-1)) said:

Sure, but the sequence is to move unengaged characters and if they move half they can then engage in melee, cast spells etc which must be done in the resolution phase.

I always thought there was flexibility if you weren't directly engaged in hand to hand combat. If you're engaged in hand to hand combat then you can't move without taking disengage. In contrast If you're a spell caster or missile user out of close combat "engaged" then you can cast/fire and move, or move then cast/fire. Thats my understanding.

• 4 weeks later...

I've noticed that the sample PC's "Skill category" bonuses don't make much sense; is appears these were sometimes transcribed, sometimes not.

For example:

• Vostor has +5% Magic Skills but Yanioth doesn't, both with POW=15
  • Sorala with INT=20 has no bonus with the category of Knowlege Skills

There are other items I'm sure are problems, but as I don't know how RQG does this, I can't really even attempt a comprehensive list; and I wouldn't want to seem to be trying for fear it would be taken as a careful list... 

===

On p.7, "Time & Movement," under "Skill Time," there appear to be a couple of words missing from the final entry; I marked the spot "XX" :

Though combat skills can be repeated melee round after melee round, a XX may take much longer.

I presume this is "skill check" or "skill test" or the like...

C'es ne pas un .sig

16 hours ago, g33k said:

On p.7, "Time & Movement," under "Skill Time," there appear to be a couple of words missing from the final entry; I marked the spot "XX" :

I presume this is "skill check" or "skill test" or the like...

That reminds me of something I'd noticed before in the same section.  The general (non-combat) movement rates for the QS are listed as 1 km/hr on foot and 2 km/hr mounted.  While the point is made that that's for the particular scenario, I'm hoping it won't be extrapolated as a general rule to RQG.  Even with the 'weakest link' rationale, basing them on the slowest-moving members of a party, those numbers seem very low.

Edited by Yelm's Light

7 hours ago, Yelm's Light said:

That reminds me of something I'd noticed before in the same section.  The general (non-combat) movement rates for the QS are listed as 1 km/hr on foot and 2 km/hr mounted.  While the point is made that that's for the particular scenario, I'm hoping it won't be extrapolated as a general rule to RQG.  Even with the 'weakest link' rationale, basing them on the slowest-moving members of a party, those numbers seem very low.

Nice catch.

Normal hiking rates are at least 3x that; rule of thumb is hiking 3 miles/hr (5 km/h) + hour per every 1000'/300m of elevation climb.  2 miles/hr (3km/h) for backpacking, (probably closer to what PC's are doing most of the time) +1 hour per elevation climb.

And actually, walking with a horse really isn't much faster, particularly over broken ground or long distances.  They can just carry MUCH greater loads and be almost unaffected.  Plus, you arrive far less tired than if you walked yourself.

(Note, unridden horses canter most places if they're in a hurry, and they can do that - about 2x speed of a human walk - for hours and hours.  Nevertheless, in LONG distances, humans on foot actually outdistance horses.)

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 8/4/2017 at 8:14 PM, styopa said:

Nice catch.

Normal hiking rates are at least 3x that; rule of thumb is hiking 3 miles/hr (5 km/h) + hour per every 1000'/300m of elevation climb.  2 miles/hr (3km/h) for backpacking, (probably closer to what PC's are doing most of the time) +1 hour per elevation climb.

And actually, walking with a horse really isn't much faster, particularly over broken ground or long distances.  They can just carry MUCH greater loads and be almost unaffected.  Plus, you arrive far less tired than if you walked yourself.

(Note, unridden horses canter most places if they're in a hurry, and they can do that - about 2x speed of a human walk - for hours and hours.  Nevertheless, in LONG distances, humans on foot actually outdistance horses.)

All quite true and correct.

It's unclear to me, however, the degree to which Praxian beasts might differ from the intensively-studied equine logistical issues...

Finally, I note that "adventurers" will often not be doing the stuff that "hikers" & "backpackers" / etc do...  Are they moving cautiously through unknown-and-possibly-hostile territory?  Are they actively hiding, and obscuring their backtrail, as they move through known-hostile territory?  Are they tracking an... easy trail?  A tough trail?  A nearly-impossible-to-track trail???   etc...

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

4 hours ago, g33k said:

It's unclear to me, however, the degree to which Praxian beasts might differ from the intensively-studied equine logistical issues...

I'm using the "standard" 20% carrying rule for horses and applying it to the Praxian herb beasts. Without getting into the detailed horse argument of age, size, training etc for ease. The only differences apart from weight are the top speeds:

Bison although large can move quickly when needed reaching speeds of 35 to 40 mph (unloaded). Riding animals can generally reach the top of the speed range easily.

High llamas can move quickly when needed reaching speeds of up to 32 miles per hour (unloaded). Riding animals can generally move a bit faster, reaching 35 to 40 mph. They can lope for immense distances without tiring. No horse can keep up with one. For long-distance running, they are the best of all animals on the plains.

Impalas can move very quickly when needed reaching speeds of up to 56 miles per hour. An impala can also jump as far as 33 feet and as high as nine feet (unloaded). As mounts, Large bulls are preferred for the height and speed advantage they confer. Some such as hunters prefer smaller animals as their smaller size makes them more manoeuvrable.

Sables can run as fast as 35 mph for considerable distances (unloaded). Riding animals can generally reach the top of the speed range easily.

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

aiiieee!!!   Must... resist...

aargh... No... I must be strong...

4 hours ago, David Scott said:

I'm using the "standard" 20% carrying rule for horses and applying it to the Praxian herb beasts

<sigh>  It's no use...

0e146bde5476541b68b93a58559d4792.jpg

• Haha 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

• 1 month later...

I know I'm really late to the party, but are edits still being made to the Quickstart Rules for the PDF?

One I've come across is that both Rune Spells (Path Watch) and Spirit Magic (Visibility) have S as a range which is never defined in either of their keys. (I am assuming it is for Sight.)

Vasana

• Rune Spells costs: Extension should be (var.) not 1. Leap should be (var.) not 1. Mist Cloud should be (var.) not 1.
  • Spirit Magic: Healing should be changed to Heal and should be (var.) not 2.

Yanioth

• Spirit Magic: Heal should be (var.) instead of 3. Pt. and pts. should be taken out of the costs

Vostor

• Weapons list a Large shield AND a Medium shield, but Treasures lists only a Large shield.
  • Rune Spells costs: Extension should be (var.) not 1. Madness should cost (2) or the cost in the Rune list is wrong.
  • Spirit Magic: Heal should be (var.) instead of 1. Pt. and pts. should be taken out of the costs

Sorala

• Thrown Small Axe: Shouldn't her included Damage Bonus be halved to +1D2 instead of +1D3?
  • Rune Spells costs: Extension should be (var.) not 1.
  • Spirit Magic: none of the Detect spells have cost of (1) listed. Farsee should be (var.).

Harmast

• Weapons lists a battle axe but Treasures doesn't.
  • Rune Spells costs: Extension should be (var.) not 1. Passage should be (var.)
  • Spirit Magic: Detect Enemy should be Detect Enemies or the Spirit Magic spell list should be changed to Detect Enemy. Pt. and pts. should be taken out of the costs
Edited by JaredS113
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, JaredS113 said:

Vishi Dun has Disincorporation on his Rune Magic list... is that detailed anywhere?

That appears to be a typo; it should be Discorporate, and it's explained on p. 3 of Vishi Dun's character description, followed by more rules involving spirits and spirit combat.

3 hours ago, JaredS113 said:

Should Vostor's Rune Spell of Summon Small Fire Elemental instead be to summon earth, fire or water elementals since he is in the Seven Mothers cult?

These are relatively lowish-level characters; I see no reason to assume they have access to spells not listed.  Priests have full access to small elementals, but there's no reference that I know of saying that initiates enjoy the same advantage.  (Bear in mind that Seven Mothers has a number of subcults which provide some of these rune magic spells, so an initiate might need to specialize in particular subcults to gain access.)

4 hours ago, JaredS113 said:

Any idea if Sorala's Spirit Magic of "Detect Magic" is supposed to be Dispel Magic? Or should that just be deleted from her Spirit Magic list?

Neither, I would think.  I expect it was merely an omission from the Spirit Magic Summary.  Likely the QS isn't a complete list of spirit magic spells anyway.

2 hours ago, JaredS113 said:

Should Harmast have Lock as well as Passage on his Rune Magic list since Passage says "Must be cast with Lock"?

I would think so.

Edited by Yelm's Light
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, JaredS113 said:

Any idea if Sorala's Spirit Magic of "Detect Magic" is supposed to be Dispel Magic?

Think Detect Magic is correct.  That's been a standard spirit magic spell since RQ2 days.

15 hours ago, JaredS113 said:

Summon Small Fire Elemental instead be to summon earth, fire or water elementals since he is in the Seven Mothers cult?

Elemental summoning spells are always specific to the type, not generic.  

• Like 1

On 11/10/2017 at 3:44 AM, Yelm's Light said:

That appears to be a typo; it should be Discorporate, and it's explained on p. 3 of Vishi Dun's character description, followed by more rules involving spirits and spirit combat.

That seems to describe the Spirit Magic version, but Vishi has it as a Rune spell (which is mentioned but not explained). Which Rune would Vishi roll to cast it as a Rune Spell? Moon? Death? Man?

• 6 months later...

Weird question maybe:

But have the errata listed above been incorporated into the current PDF of the QuickStart?

With RQG finally being released, I was thinking of running my Monday Night group through the QuickStart to see how they responded!

Edited by creativehum

"But Pendragon isn’t intended to be historical, just fun.
So have fun."

-- Greg Stafford

4 hours ago, styopa said:

P437 wealth reads::

. Divide RQ2 Lunars (L) by half. . Divide RQ3 silver pennies by one-third.

This should read

. Divide RQ2 Lunars (L) in half (or "by two"). . Divide RQ3 silver pennies by three.

Dividing something by one third will triple it.

I think you meant for this to go in the RQG core book corrections thread. This is the QuickStart corrections thead.

• Thanks 1

"But Pendragon isn’t intended to be historical, just fun.
So have fun."

-- Greg Stafford