Hacking In Magic Systems

Archivist

I am not familiar with those systems. The big point is the same as I wrote in the other thread: Revolution D100 is not designed to use a "limited resource management" approach, so anything that links long-duration effects to magic point expenditure is not likely to work properly "out of the box", You can of course hack almost anything to fit in the rules, but it might require a substantial rethinking of some core mechanics.

Proud member of the Evil CompetitionTM

• 2 weeks later...

So I'm thinking about systems / settings in the vein of Mage the Awakening, Mage the Ascension,  GURPS Ritual Path Magic, GURPS Thaumaturgy, GURPS Cabal, Unknown Armies, or Dresden Files RPG Magic. Here are some of the common characteristics of those systems.

1. Magic is sort of free-form. Instead of having a short list of specific powers, the mage can create whatever effect they want as limited by their skill, tradition, and trapping for the setting (e.g., no bolts of lightning, flashy magic).

2. More powerful / complex magic (more effects, stronger effects) is harder and more dangerous.

3. Spellcasting takes time. Spending more time reduces the risk and danger and vice versa.

4. Spellcasting takes "ingredients" (e.g., magic circles, incantations, symbolic links to the target, sacrifice). Casting w/ (more) ingredients reduces the risk and danger, and vice versa.

5. Casting involves risk and danger. More powerful workings, or workings without reducing the difficulty as above, expose the caster to that risk. That risk could be physical, spiritual, or consequential (bad luck).

20 hours ago, Archivist said:

So I'm thinking about systems / settings in the vein of Mage the Awakening, Mage the Ascension,  GURPS Ritual Path Magic, GURPS Thaumaturgy, GURPS Cabal, Unknown Armies, or Dresden Files RPG Magic. Here are some of the common characteristics of those systems.

1. Magic is sort of free-form. Instead of having a short list of specific powers, the mage can create whatever effect they want as limited by their skill, tradition, and trapping for the setting (e.g., no bolts of lightning, flashy magic).

2. More powerful / complex magic (more effects, stronger effects) is harder and more dangerous.

3. Spellcasting takes time. Spending more time reduces the risk and danger and vice versa.

4. Spellcasting takes "ingredients" (e.g., magic circles, incantations, symbolic links to the target, sacrifice). Casting w/ (more) ingredients reduces the risk and danger, and vice versa.

5. Casting involves risk and danger. More powerful workings, or workings without reducing the difficulty as above, expose the caster to that risk. That risk could be physical, spiritual, or consequential (bad luck).

Check out the rules for free form magic located here  and also in my sig. These are homebrew rules but I am told they have a similar feel to the magic system in Ars Magica. My group and I have polished them a good bit so hopefully they will be easily understandable.

• Like 1

Check out our homebrew rules for freeform magic in BRP ->

No reason for Ars Magica players to have all the fun!

11 minutes ago, Archivist said:

I have the Second Way and really like it, but it's made for BRP, right? You haven't retrofitted it for D100, have you?

BRP *is* D100.

-Edit-

OK.  Knee-jerk post on my part.  I guess by 'D100' Archivist meant Revolution D100.

Edited by ThornPlutonius

1 hour ago, Archivist said:

Yes, sorry. Apologies. I meant Revolution d100 - it's got a bunch of non-traditional bits, so I was asking how we'd get something *like* second way in Revolution D100.

I have Revolution D100 but haven't read it all yet.  Does anyone know if Revolution has any equivalent to magic points? You would also need a sorcery skill (to roll against) to make The Second Way work...

Check out our homebrew rules for freeform magic in BRP ->

No reason for Ars Magica players to have all the fun!

1 hour ago, rsanford said:

I have Revolution D100 but haven't read it all yet.  Does anyone know if Revolution has any equivalent to magic points? You would also need a sorcery skill (to roll against) to make The Second Way work...

Yes, it does. It has Life Points, which replace Magic Points when casting magic. The only difference is that they are used only in advanced combat, not when you want to cast long-duration, ritual spells. In that case magic works with extended conflicts, like Archivist suggested.

It also has a Sorcery skill. It is the Concentration skill, which regulates all things paranormal. Most supernatural feats depend on it, usually rating at one tenth of the Concentration skill.

Proud member of the Evil CompetitionTM