QuickStart/RQG - Strike Rank questions

6 hours ago, Paid a bod yn dwp said:

Thanks Jason. What happens if a character is forced to chose parry on their attack SR, do they still have an opportunity to attack on the following strike rank? 

Can save Jason the virtual ink here. Yes, they can attack the following SR. Generally speaking SR game mechanics won't ever prevent someone from attacking outright, unless thier attack would take place after SR12, meaning it would be the next melee round.

• Like 1

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

4 hours ago, Atgxtg said:

Yeah, but the drawback is that it is all about SR, and not about skill. So a big character, with a long weapon, and a good DEX is able to really shift his location around, while a master who doesn't have a good SR is limited.

Yup.

Personally, I think neither version is all that great. It would be nice to see a method that factors in for skill and SR. Maybe something like 1 hit location per SR, or 2 per SR if you take a penalty. 

RQ 2 had this as an optional aimed blow rule - for each SR you delay you can adjust the hit location roll by +/-1

Always start what you finish.

14 hours ago, d(sqrt(-1)) said:

RQ 2 had this as an optional aimed blow rule - for each SR you delay you can adjust the hit location roll by +/-1

Yeah, but you missed my point. The problem with that approach is that aimed blows were entirnely due to SR, not to skill. 

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

On 9/3/2017 at 10:50 AM, Paid a bod yn dwp said:

Thanks Jason. What happens if a character is forced to chose parry on their attack SR, do they still have an opportunity to attack on the following strike rank? 

I don't have the book in front of me, but IIRC, you can parry and attack in the same strike rank, so there'd be no need to delay your attack. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jason Durall said:

I don't have the book in front of me, but IIRC, you can parry and attack in the same strike rank, so there'd be no need to delay your attack. 

Thanks again Jason. If that's the case that feels like a simpler and better balance. less thinking more doing - IIRC that's how we used to play out combat in our RQ games.