M Helsdon

1 minute ago, M Helsdon said:

I don't doubt that guardian spirits are an integral part of the defenses of a city and its gate, but in the Third Age only Mostali appear to have the capability to create tamestone entities, and then at a reduced level, and their price for providing these would potentially be prohibitively high.

I agree about Third Age limitations, but deities inhabiting their statues (or animating them) and stepping out in defense of their congregations must have been rather widespread in earlier ages.

I was thinking of the defenses of Salomo's temple, which consisted of a huge door and two massive cherubs guarding the ark of the covenant.

1 minute ago, M Helsdon said:

(And if Boldhome has living bronze constructions, they were made by the Mostali for Sartar).

I would trust Sartar's Change magic to make lifelike statues become active. Elsewhere, Earth Magics could easily combine massive statues with elementals to power them.

I didn't want to suggest that any of your designs were wrong, but I wanted to point out that a less iron age and more bronze age approach might include such guardian figures in military defense considerations.

Telling how it is excessive verbis

4 minutes ago, Joerg said:

I didn't want to suggest that any of your designs were wrong, but I wanted to point out that a less iron age and more bronze age approach might include such guardian figures in military defense considerations.

Yes, I understand, but, terrestrial Bronze Age defenses, whilst often incorporating some significant concepts, such as multiple 'kill boxes' to slow down or stop attackers, were less decorated than some Iron Age defenses. There are often stone reliefs beside or over important gateways (and I've included a number of examples - which, in Glorantha, might host guardian spirits or focus a deity's powers) but stone statues are rare, and, as at Troy, small.

Suspect that it is indicative that the Watchdog of Corflu, even crudely repaired, is treated as special, that in the Third Age, animated statues are rare. As in Niven's 'The Magic Goes Away' (there's a large guardian statue that has just enough mana left to barely react to the presence of its creator) , the Third Age levels of magical entropy make such complex and powerful constructions rare. Even the Mostali appear to have lost the capacity to build large jolanti.

Had considered illustrating the Watchdog, but Corflu is unlikely to have much in the way of walls and gateways to be worthy of illustrating.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Joerg said:

Entering through the jaws of a (chiseled or petrified) monster might make another style of gate, and I could see Esrolian gates surrounded by constrictor snakes hewn into the rock of the gate which would contract to cover the gate.

That's cool.  I like that idea.  Definitely should be a part of Nochet.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/17/2017 at 9:10 PM, M Helsdon said:

There won't be any more pictures.

May I ask why?

I have noticed a lot of Deleted posts from you very recently. Has something happened?

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

On 10/26/2017 at 9:11 PM, M Helsdon said:

Last week was not good in the real world and I decided to avoid problems in 'social media'.

Glad to see you back, was concerned that you had left us for good.

• Like 4

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here