engaging spirits with weapons etc

Psullie

From the Optional Adventurer pdf:

Once a corporeal being is engaged in spirit combat, they may not attempt any skill or engage in physical melee combat with a separate physical melee target without first succeeding at with a roll of INT×5. Corporeal beings engaged in spirit combat may cast a spell if they succeed at a concentration check. Spirits may cast spells if they possess that ability and do so in the same manner as other combatants. 

Does this mean that an adventurer can melee attack their discorporate assailant and engage in Spirit Combat in the same round without the INT test?

Spell casting Spirits do not have to make an INT test to target other targets?

Do discorporate Shamans count as Spirits with regard to casting spells? And can a shaman travel in the spirit world to a middle world location, become visible (or forced to become visible via Visibility) and cast spells etc.

8 hours ago, Psullie said:

From the Optional Adventurer pdf:

Once a corporeal being is engaged in spirit combat, they may not attempt any skill or engage in physical melee combat with a separate physical melee target without first succeeding at with a roll of INT×5. Corporeal beings engaged in spirit combat may cast a spell if they succeed at a concentration check. Spirits may cast spells if they possess that ability and do so in the same manner as other combatants. 

Does this mean that an adventurer can melee attack their discorporate assailant and engage in Spirit Combat in the same round without the INT test?

I haven't read the rules yet, but I would say that an adventurer who is in combat and has finished that round's worth of combat and then gets attacked in Spirit combat can engage without making an INT roll.

However, any adventurer who is in Spirit Combat must make an INT roll to do anything else but engage in Spirit Combat.

Spell casting Spirits do not have to make an INT test to target other targets?

I would say that any particpant in Spirit Combat should have to make an INT roll to do anything outside Spirit Combat. So, a spell casting spirit enganged in Spirit Combat should make an INT roll before being able to cast a spell.

Do discorporate Shamans count as Spirits with regard to casting spells? And can a shaman travel in the spirit world to a middle world location, become visible (or forced to become visible via Visibility) and cast spells etc.

I would play that a discorporate shaman is in all respects a spirit. Discorporate shamans could become visible at will, so I would guess that is still the case. 

Of course, I am probably wrong, as always.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

• 2 weeks later...

One further thing I just stumbled on in my old RQ2 notes:

From a Wyrms Footnotes rambling runequestion:

"ON SPIRIT COMBAT
A convention of play which didn't make it into RQII is the ability to ignore Spirit Attack. This means that a character who’s attacked by a Ghost or a Shaman's Fetch or controlled Spirit can refuse to fight the attack. This has two effects.

1. The Spirit will be able to take POW from the victim without danger to itself and the attack will keep the victim from using any POW to make spells.

2. The victim can continue to move, attack the shaman perhaps, and otherwise operate physically as if he was not in Spirit Combat. This technique’s particularly useful when the only way to possibly survive a Spirit Attack is to kill the person who set the spirit onto you."

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, styopa said:

"ON SPIRIT COMBAT
A convention of play which didn't make it into RQII is the ability to ignore Spirit Attack. This means that a character who’s attacked by a Ghost or a Shaman's Fetch or controlled Spirit can refuse to fight the attack. This has two effects.

1. The Spirit will be able to take POW from the victim without danger to itself and the attack will keep the victim from using any POW to make spells.

2. The victim can continue to move, attack the shaman perhaps, and otherwise operate physically as if he was not in Spirit Combat. This technique’s particularly useful when the only way to possibly survive a Spirit Attack is to kill the person who set the spirit onto you."

Who wrote that? I don't think I remember ever playing it that way.

SDLeary

4 hours ago, Psullie said:

does the reprint differ that much, I though it was just typos etc

From the RuneQuest II Classic Rulebook, p. 43, right column

Sometimes the only way to get rid of a spirit is to kill the
Shaman or to run far away from the attacking spirit or ghost one
 is fighting. To do so, the character must ignore the Spirit attack.
 This has two effects:
 1.     The spirit will be able to take POW from the character
 every time it overcomes the character’s resistance with no
danger to itself, and the character cannot use his POW for
 overpowering spells.
 2.     The character can continue to move and perform physical
 and intellectual activity as if he were not in Spirit Combat.

12 hours ago, Psullie said:

does the reprint differ that much, I though it was just typos etc

Classic includes the known typo's & errata (plus a few caught during "tribal editing" phase).  Spring for the Deluxe Leatherette version.

It also includes sundry bits of lore and commentary, "Rambling Runequestions" &c, from sundry columns published in 'zines (both "fan" and "official," I believe) at the time.

IMHO it's worth getting... even if you already have a clean (if well-loved) copy of Chaosium RQ2 !

Edited by g33k
  • Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

On 7/12/2017 at 8:34 PM, styopa said:

"ON SPIRIT COMBAT

Excellent, I'm adding this to my games.