Darklight Corp (M-Space Circle)

file.php?id=770

M – SPACE CIRCLE

Name: Darklight Corp, a subsidiary of Apollo Industries.

Leader: CEO (Former Plenipotentiary Minister) Chike Idowu

Influence: 13 (Human Continuum)

Size: 3

Resources: 17

Attributes:
Connected 70%
Info Retrieval 90%
Memes 40%
Politics 70%

Ideas: Wealth (Anarchy)

Traits:
A small subsidiary corporation, with positions often filled by former public employees, dedicated to research and other activities beneficial to the advancement of knowledge and all those who reside in the Human Continuum. Darklight Corporation of Enceladus is a good example of a modern commercial entity, and as a research corp. most of what it trades in is data or information, thus the corporate motto: “The Darkest Light Is Before The Dawn.” Exploration and planetary surveys are main line of work, though their agents have been used as fixers in various situations, as well as neutral observers.

Benefits: 85%

Notes:
Headquartered on Enceladus. Operates through local offices, with an open network style using small groups as teams to accomplish tasks, from specialized research to general teams of "fixers". Good access to used tech and equipment sold by the navy and scout corps, as well as cutting edge tech made by Apollo Corp subsidiaries or sister industries such as Artemis Military.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, clarence said:

Very nice write-up. Is it for your play-by-post game?

Thanks! Yes, it is. I am slowly assembling the constituent parts of the Sidereal setting I sent you, this will be the organization the players start with, and probably needless to say, Darklight has a deep dark secret. The plan as it stands is the players start as "fixers" crewing a Kierkegaard from the core rules. 

• Like 1

I thought it might be named after the philosopher as well, which I did have a thought as to the naming convention, any reason a scout would be named after a philosopher, or a churchyard or graveyard?

Yes, it started as an hommage to the old existentialist. Then I realized the irony of calling starship a graveyard and it kind of stuck. Not much deeper than that, though I found Søren Kierkegaard's work quite fascinating many years ago. A bit on the pessimistic side but otherwise enjoyable. 

Do you know when you will start playing the Sidereal campaign?

1683589267_frostbyteloggaFsvarttiny2.jpg.22ebd7480630737e74be9c2c9ed8039f.jpg   FrostByte Books

M–SPACE   d100 Roleplaying in the Far Future

Odd Soot  Science Fiction Mystery in the 1920s

On 7/3/2017 at 12:54 PM, clarence said:

Yes, it started as an hommage to the old existentialist. Then I realized the irony of calling starship a graveyard and it kind of stuck. Not much deeper than that, though I found Søren Kierkegaard's work quite fascinating many years ago. A bit on the pessimistic side but otherwise enjoyable. 

Do you know when you will start playing the Sidereal campaign?

I felt similar about reading Kierkegaard years ago: "a bit on the pessimistic side but otherwise enjoyable," existentialism always is, in its way. I have mind to use this quote from Paul Bowles and The Sheltering Sky when asked about character motivation:

Death is always on the way, but the fact that you don't know when it will arrive seems to take away from the finiteness of life. It's that terrible precision that we hate so much. But because we don't know, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well. Yet everything happens a certain number of times, and a very small number, really. How many more times will you watch the full moon rise? Perhaps twenty. And yet it all seems limitless.

I do not have a timeline as to a start date for sidereal, I figure on looking for players pretty soon, however. Still just working through some things, such as tech: Blasters are slang for Advanced Diode Pumped Alkali Laser Weapons, the fuel tanks for spacecraft fusion reactors are 20 kg Hydride Storage Vessels here is a x-ray picture of one:

Edited by dragoner

55 minutes ago, dragoner said:

Also, any plans for future M-Space releases? Say a spacecraft book? What are your ideas on Androids/Robots? A post-Apocalypse book could be good as well.

Dragoner, Clarence can't be bothered with anything else until he develops rules for a Blade Runner setting!  Isn't that right Clarence :-)

PS - Dragoner - just teasing!

• Like 1

Check out our homebrew rules for freeform magic in BRP ->

No reason for Ars Magica players to have all the fun!

18 minutes ago, rsanford said:

Dragoner, Clarence can't be bothered with anything else until he develops rules for a Blade Runner setting!  Isn't that right Clarence :-)

Blade Runner is good, one of my favorite movies; and if Clarence doesn't want to do certain books, farming them out would work. However, I am not sure of Clarence's stance on such things, such as releasing his rules set into the wild.

Rules for modular droids and cybernetics are in the works. Perhaps not enough to run Blade Runner with RAW, but a good start. Starships are worked on a little bit. Not sure yet how to package those extra bits though. An M-SPACE Companion perhaps, in true BRP tradition?

First I need to finish Odd Soot however. I feel very strongly about this game/setting - it's been an amazing universe to play in and explore - and the writing process has been intensifying since early spring. A lot has been covered, but there's still much to do. Apart from the alternate Earth setting, it will also bring some psychological depth to characters, plague-infested insanities and a new take on Circles - complementing the rules in M-SPACE. 

Oh, and speaking of Kierkegaard, a Philosophy Engine casts a long, dark shadow over the entire setting. 

Regarding external writers, I welcome all ideas. I've had a couple of propositions so far, but it's too early to say what will become of them. 

• Like 1

1683589267_frostbyteloggaFsvarttiny2.jpg.22ebd7480630737e74be9c2c9ed8039f.jpg   FrostByte Books

4 hours ago, clarence said:

Then I realized the irony of calling starship a graveyard and it kind of stuck.

When I first saw that name I almost asked if you intentionally named a space ship "graveyard", but I thought then that it must be in honor of Søren.

• Like 1

Aha, you know a bit of Danish then? But yes, Søren was indeed the initial spark of inspiration. I read 'Either Or' when I was 21 and found it both fascinating and rather difficult. Nowadays I think I would call it misanthropic. 

Considering how deadly space is for humans - no air, radiation, extreme cold - I think 'graveyard' is a reasonable name for a starship : )

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

I should really get this game going, Graveyard might a little grim, then again I have been thinking of a scout ship named the Bourdain, maybe a little too early; however, Parts Unknown was one of only three TV programs that I make time to watch.

• Like 1

Sounds good. Naming ships can be surprisingly difficult. Using names from Earth history implies a setting derived from Sol. But coming up with meaningful historical names in other settings requires a level of detail that takes time to develop. 

• Like 2

Another solution is to use naming conventions from other cultures, such as using adjectives such as "Victorious", that is one thing I loved about Liu's Three-Body Problem series, is the perspective from another culture, and how he thought ships would be named.