RQG : Why should we parry?

Manu

5 hours ago, styopa said:

Huh?

I think the idea is, a shield can become impaled (foe's weapon stuck in it) -- indeed, capturing your foe's weapon by "parrying" it and getting the weapon stuck in the shield is one of the intentional uses of a shield! -- but another weapon cannot be "impaled":  you cannot impale an axe with a rapier.

C'es ne pas un .sig

1 hour ago, g33k said:

I think the idea is, a shield can become impaled (foe's weapon stuck in it) -- indeed, capturing your foe's weapon by "parrying" it and getting the weapon stuck in the shield is one of the intentional uses of a shield! -- but another weapon cannot be "impaled":  you cannot impale an axe with a rapier.

Also, any damage in excess of the Shield is carried through to the arm, but not when parrying with a weapon.

11 hours ago, styopa said:

Huh?

Yeah, that's what I said, then I looked it up. Sure enough on the first page of IV: COMBAT SKILLS (actual page varies with edition. It's page 19 in my old dog-eared copy of RQ2, but page 21 in my "Classic Edtion" PDF) it states:

A weapon which parries a critical hit will take twice the damage it would take normally. If the attacking weapon is a long-hafted weapon or an impaling weapon, the parrying weapon takes no damage, as described in Chapter III.

Now  in Chapter III it does mention the bit about long hafted weapons, the bit about impaling weapons seems to be unique to Chapter IV. And I'll admit I never noticed that before.

As for the rest, well, I haven't played any RQ2 since RQ3 came out, so I suspect I've forgotten some of it (I never remembered the bit that a successful shield parry against a critical brought armor back into play). 

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

6 hours ago, g33k said:

I think the thing is that we thought that while the weapon would absorb some of the damage, the rest would continue on to hit the character. I'm pretty sure (i used to to positive, until a couple of posts ago;)) that is how it works in RQ3. 

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

2 hours ago, Atgxtg said:

Yeah, that's what I said, then I looked it up. Sure enough on the first page of IV: COMBAT SKILLS (actual page varies with edition. It's page 19 in my old dog-eared copy of RQ2, but page 21 in my "Classic Edtion" PDF) it states:

A weapon which parries a critical hit will take twice the damage it would take normally. If the attacking weapon is a long-hafted weapon or an impaling weapon, the parrying weapon takes no damage, as described in Chapter III.

Now  in Chapter III it does mention the bit about long hafted weapons, the bit about impaling weapons seems to be unique to Chapter IV. And I'll admit I never noticed that before.

As for the rest, well, I haven't played any RQ2 since RQ3 came out, so I suspect I've forgotten some of it (I never remembered the bit that a successful shield parry against a critical brought armor back into play). 

That makes logical sense, my 'huh?' was that I'd read his comment that any successful parry against an impaling weapons was automatically a complete parry - my misread.