A Bronze Age World

M Helsdon

On 7/24/2017 at 7:10 PM, Joerg said:

Electrons might be a thing - amber rubbing on wool should raise hairs, and plasma/flame/lightning might be the separation of electrons from cores. If we can find a different explanation for these effects which might have a better magical feel, I'd go for them if they aren't too silly.

When Umath was born, he lifted Aether Primolt from his earthy bed and spun him around. Where the two met, they rubeed together and a new goddess was born, Entekos the Upper Air. Entekos was the Sky Air and the Air Sky, a buffer between Air and Sky, keeping the polluting Air from the Sky Dome. Because of this, when a piece of wool is rubbed against a sheet of gold, the wool sticks to the gold, as Entekos sticks to the Sky. Amber is Entekos' jewel, so the same applies to amber.

• Like 2

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

On 7/25/2017 at 7:05 PM, Jeff said:

The Man Who Came From The Sea rode the Kings Highway and took a face from the gallery of mirrors, asked his future self what his past had done. He walked down a hall and came to a door and looked inside.

Probably the most useful comment about the Pharoah.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

On 7/26/2017 at 0:40 PM, Akhôrahil said:

Does wood burn because it contains elemental Fire that's released as part of the burning (like phlogiston, or caloric), or because Fire brought to it starts to eat it to grow?

Because Oakfed gorged on the Forest of Prax.

Aldrya was born of Ernalda and Flamal, no Fire there. Shanasee was a love nymph, so no Fire there. 

• 2 years later...
On 7/26/2017 at 11:56 AM, MOB said:

Neal Stephenson uses the Mesopotamian 'perfect language' as a major plotline in his book Snow Crash (and of course, the Christofundie billionaire who owns Hobby Lobby and who got fined millions for illegally smuggling Sumerian tablets out of Iraq seems to be acting out that plotline in real life)

Back in the news: "Mystery deepens over Oxford academic accused of illegally selling bible fragments to US"... More #nightmarefuel that seemingly borrows from the plot of Neal Stephenson's #Snowcrash...

This was the earlier scandal, referred to above:

Amongst the stolen artifacts are cuneiform tablets with incantations and spells from a mysterious lost Sumerian city "whose exact location has long-evaded historians". This is both the plot of #SnowCrash", and #nightmarefuel.
https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/paxnqn/ancient-artifacts-smuggled-by-hobby-lobby-traced-to-mysterious-sumerian-city-irisagrig-mesopotamian

4 hours ago, MOB said:

Back in the news: "Mystery deepens over Oxford academic accused of illegally selling bible fragments to US"... More #nightmarefuel that seemingly borrows from the plot of Neal Stephenson's #Snowcrash...

This was the earlier scandal, referred to above:

Amongst the stolen artifacts are cuneiform tablets with incantations and spells from a mysterious lost Sumerian city "whose exact location has long-evaded historians". This is both the plot of #SnowCrash", and #nightmarefuel.
https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/paxnqn/ancient-artifacts-smuggled-by-hobby-lobby-traced-to-mysterious-sumerian-city-irisagrig-mesopotamian

Rather than this pulp Cthulhu scenario cited by MOB, here is some science about where the stuff came from:

https://www.academia.edu/10126837/_On_the_Location_of_Irisagrig_en_S._Garfinkle_-_M._Molina_eds._The_Present_and_Future_of_Neo-Sumerian_Studies_From_the_21st_Century_BC_to_the_21st_Century_AD._Proceedings_of_the_International_Conference_on_Neo-Sumerian_Studies_Held_in_Madrid_July_22-24_2010_Winona_Lake_2013_pp._59-87

Telling how it is excessive verbis

Since this thread was revived, I thought I'd add that I'm not a huge fan of runes being atoms (Although I realize that might be a bit of a dead horse at this point).

For one thing, I'm not a huge fan of the rune-symbols literally being the runes-in-themselves. I'd prefer a worldview where the graphical depiction of a rune invokes the rune, yes, but that doesn't mean the rune-in-itself has any one or other physical shape, since it's not a physical object.

Ever since I became aware of Glorantha and the runes, I interpreted them essentially as Platonic Ideal forms. Mundane fire has its properties because it is a replication, or subgradient, or iteration of the Fire Rune, which is not an object, but a metaphysical concept, a blueprint for physics, if you will.

To use an analogy, pure Creation is indifferentiated like a ray of white light. Runes act as lenses, so that when pure creation passes through them, the light is given its properties. Shape, extension, and so forth. Different runes interact in different ways, creating increasingly complex and almost impossibly varied expressions.

In this worldview, when a God Learner used the "RuneQuest Sight" (hate that internal capital letter outside of logos, btw) they were not really seeing/sensing a ton of little runes mushed together in a literal fashion, but rather seeing what can at best be described as the influences, filters, molds, etc. that shaped the matter they are analyzing.

Runes collectively make up the Matrix that allows differentiation of Chaos into Cosmos.

I should add that I think my personal view goes pretty well with @Jeff's cabbalistic/alphabetical "language of creation". Whether you term it a syllable or phoneme of creation, or a platonic ideal that can be mixed and matched, or lenses through which the raw light of creation passes - the end result is that you end up with runes less as objects and more as the possible categories of existence that informs the nature of objects.

Anyway, that's just my personal interpretation.

Edited by Sir_Godspeed

On 10/23/2019 at 12:40 PM, Qizilbashwoman said:

particularly enjoy the current display of runes in kabbalistic trees of life format!

I appreciate the idea - in practice, annoys me a bit, as someone who has studied the caballa a bit the actual runes never seem to correspond well.