Valerian & Laureline. And M-SPACE

clarence

On 7/16/2017 at 3:20 AM, g33k said:

BTW -- I only became aware of this movie (and thence the source material) a 2-3 months back.  I haven't seen anything but the trailers, and discussions on geek/gamer fora...

But I'm kind of getting the vibe, from those trailers, that I really SHOULD get the source matter first; that the movie may be terribly heavy to inside-jokes, fanservice, and in general to stuff that's not terribly meaningful without that deeper context.

Can anyone who's more familiar with Valerian&Laureline and with the movie-project, tell me if it seems likely that I'm right, or not ... ?

The Fifth Element was full of franco-belgian 70's-80's scifi comics references, but I think it was enjoyable by everybody. Of course, such films have a special appeal to those who grew up with the comics, but I believe they are entertaining for eberybody. But I'd recommend the books, anyway. I used to love them. And I recently thought that it could be a good theme for a rpg.

Wind on the Steppes, role playing among the steppe Nomads. The  running campaign and the blog

• 4 weeks later...

My son saw it a rew weeks ago with his fiance.  His review, TXT'ed to me:

"Please be advised-- Valerian:City of a Thousand Planets is one of the worst storyboarded and acted movies in existence.  You should endeavor to see it if you want to feel hatred for every trope of romance ever created.  Also good for if you want to feel a visceral desire to punch sarcastic teenagers posing as competent main characters in the face for two and a half hours straight.  Also be advised that the Reichian school of psychoanalytics recommends Valerian as a tool for helping remember blocked traumas through thr rapidly-repeaded-rage-induction method.

I actually still enjoyed it.  I went to see the world, and I was not disappointed in that regard.  Crazy production value, and really cool aliens."

Alas for the lost opportunity...

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig