Guide to Glorantha Group Read Week 4 - Aldryami

2 hours ago, Dogboy said:

Aldryami archer up in the branches, done in pencils. Gave it away to another artist, years ago, and haven't got a copy of it any more :D 

See the little Elf Lord sitting in a tree, K-I-L-L-I-N-G

• Like 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

To learn about Greenwood, Greatwood or the Elder Wilds reminded me how primeval First Age Glorantha is. It was mostly wild lands until humans started settling it. Certainly there were lots of animals, birds, etc. which means most human clans could live by hunting.

However, it could not be possible until the world recovered well enough from the Great Darkness.

The start of the first wars between elves and humans seems to be during the Gbaji Wars in Ralios.

24 minutes ago, Tcneseleis said:

The start of the first wars between elves and humans seems to be during the Gbaji Wars in Ralios.

Elves did fight against humans in the wars of the World Council against the Horse Emperors of Peloria (Glorious ReAscent and Fortunate Succession). They also did send some troops to fight for Dorastor at the Battle of Night and Day but they were eaten by trolls before they got anywhere (History of the Heortling Peoples and Wyrms Footnotes #15)

Edited by metcalph

52 minutes ago, metcalph said:

Elves did fight against humans in the wars of the World Council against the Horse Emperors of Peloria (Glorious ReAscent and Fortunate Succession).

The Horse nomads' ancestors originated in the plains to the north of the Elder Wilds according to the map in FS p. 4. There were a lot of trolls there in the First Age, so I guess that the World Council of Friends was really far-reaching.

2 minutes ago, Joerg said:

The Forest of Lentasia in northwestern Pent was destroyed in the First Age, The perpretators would have been Pentans or Uz.

The Forest is also known as the Tallgreen Forest (Guide p698) and which is referred to in the pages that are the subect of this thread.

or the
internecine elvish conflict that destroyed the
Tallgreen Forest.

Guide p61

• 4 weeks later...

Late comer to be he party here, I hope this don't fall under thread necromancy. Anyway, In my view of aldryamic stuff insects actually are a kind of plants. Butterflies are moblile flowers, ants are mobile root noodes transporting nutriets to the roots etc etc Which to me makes it totally acceptable with inectile looking aldryami. (And there is a story there about Gorakkiki and Kyger Litor in there ....)

In general I tries in my world-building efforts break free from real world explanatory concepts, and see similarities as more like percived parallel evolution than factual identical entities (a result of early exposure to Glorantha I guess). Of course it has to be balanced towards making the world too alien for people to enjoy playing in.

So, I have little problem with Giger and body snatchers, in fact I have a fairly long write up about an alternative elven plant based biology (geared towards 5e, but actual systemless hmmm ... perhaps I should look it over again and glorantha-ish it).

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Dr. H. teph said:

Late comer to be he party here, I hope this don't fall under thread necromancy.

Not at all. I see this as a long term resource that owners of the Guide can dip into and contribute at any time. I'm going to add something to this end to the index page.

• Like 2

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/