Mythras Monthly Scenario July - Tomb of the Mad Wizard

lawrence.whitaker

July's scenario is for Classic Fantasy - this month, N1: Tomb of the Mad Wizard, by Ian Fletcher

Even to this day, the bards sing of the rise and fall of the wizard Darksong. Said to have fallen in love with a dark elf in youth, he scoured the world for the secrets of immortality, refusing to leave her side. His quest led him into darkness, and his spirit withered while his power grew. He became a tyrant, and his tower became a den of evil and hedonism. Far and wide was Darksong feared, and his armies ravaged the land in their hunt for his artefacts of power.

Trapped in a mountain vale as the winter snows bite deep, Intuosa the Elven scholar talks of Guenever, her bloodline, and how he intends to trace her lineage through the village of Rovsgood. And he whispers the name Darksong, a wizard in search of immortality who became a tyrant and paid a dreadful price. Will the adventurers aid Intuosa? What of the legends of the Mad Wizard? The bitter snows are, perhaps, the least of their worries.

Tomb of the Mad Wizard is for Ranks 2-3 and provides a complete environment for adventure, offering many hours of exploration in the Mad Wizard’s Vale and beyond.

$4.99 PDF, $9.99 Lulu POD, and available from the following fine sites:

Mad-Wizard-Small.jpg

• Like 6

The Design Mechanism: Publishers of Mythras

DM logo Freeforums Icon.png

Additional insight and commentary:

This is the first Classic Fantasy adventure to map the World of Greymoor for several hundred miles around the adventure location. Included are rules from the upcoming Classic Fantasy Unearthed Companion, detailing overland travel and very detailed Wilderness Encounter Tables for all of the differing terrain types found within The Vale. There have been many instances where fans of Classic Fantasy have asked us about old school 'Hex Crawl' rules, and along with the provided Encounter Tables that can be further extrapolated for other areas of Greymoor, or fantasy settings in general, Games Masters will find this chapter of Tomb of the Mad Wizard very useful.

Rod

Edited by threedeesix
  • Like 7

Join my Mythras/RuneQuest 6: Classic Fantasy Yahoo Group at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/RQCF/info

"D100 - Exactly 5 times better than D20"

I messaged Loz about it, it's only the thumbnails that are showing as that. The original cover blurb will apparently be present upon purchase. Regardless, I'm posting it here for posterity/interest.

Trapped in a mountain vale as the winter snows bite deep, Intuosa the Elven scholar
talks of Guenever, her bloodline, and how he intends to trace her lineage through the
village of Rovsgood. And he whispers the name Darksong, a wizard in search of immortality
who became a tyrant and paid a dreadful price. Will the adventurers aid Intuosa? What of the
legends of the Mad Wizard? The bitter snows are, perhaps, the least of their worries.
  • Like 1

Keep these modules coming, love them. Greymoor is looking like a very interesting place to adventure in. Unfortunately for me I won't have my hands on Tomb of the mad wizard for 2 or 3 weeks. It takes that long to get to my small town in NZ. Something to look forward to in any case. 

2 hours ago, D100 said:

Keep these modules coming, love them. Greymoor is looking like a very interesting place to adventure in. Unfortunately for me I won't have my hands on Tomb of the mad wizard for 2 or 3 weeks. It takes that long to get to my small town in NZ. Something to look forward to in any case. 

You do know that if you order a physical copy directly from the Design Mechanism, you get the PDF for free? No reason to have to wait.

Rod

Join my Mythras/RuneQuest 6: Classic Fantasy Yahoo Group at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/RQCF/info

19 hours ago, threedeesix said:

You do know that if you order a physical copy directly from the Design Mechanism, you get the PDF for free? No reason to have to wait.

Rod

Yes I buy from Aeon games and get the PDF also but I much prefer to read from the real thing. In saying that I still browse the PDF's but wait to read the whole thing when the book arrives. A bit of old school mentality. Never been to New Jersey :).

• Like 1

Darksong's magic conspired to curse the release of N1: Tomb of the Mad Wizard, displacing two maps to the aether. We have located them and brought them back to the Prime Material Plane and you can access them from:

They will also be added to our website in the Downloads section very soon.
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

This Tomb of the mad wizard is a good module. Very well written, gives some good flavor of the surroundings. The mythras combat cards come in handy too. Not to mention Mythic Britain, Logres  and Mythic Rome which I have yet to get. Then of course, the world of Greymoor. Hope Rob is not to burnt out on the project. Great work on all these books anyway, very enjoyable, especially the history.

Don't know who Rob is, but he better not be planning on usurping Classic Fantasy from me. ;-)

No, I'm not getting burnt out, and thanks for the mini review of Tomb of the Mad Wizard. Glad you liked it.

Rod

• Like 1

Are there any other websites I can post a review for these books on? I have tried posting on Aeon games multiple times but it refuses to update what I write. I did write a review for Classic fantasy on Amazon but I don't think too many role playing gamers visit that particular website.

8 hours ago, D100 said:

Are there any other websites I can post a review for these books on? I have tried posting on Aeon games multiple times but it refuses to update what I write. I did write a review for Classic fantasy on Amazon but I don't think too many role playing gamers visit that particular website.

You can certainly post a review on the Design Mechanism Forum - see the main website for the link. I'd also recommend posting reviews on Drivethru, RPGnet, RPGsite and ENWorld. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lawrence.whitaker said:

... Drivethru, RPGnet, RPGsite and ENWorld. 

Hey, Loz... d'you folks on the backend of the industry... erm... backside of the industry...?  Fundament of the industry...? 

Hrm.  I may need to work on my phrasing there ... 

Anyhow, do you folks have any monitor/feedback mechanism to see which sites (besides your own) are the most important/influential with your own fans?  If somone publishes a review on one site, then republishes on other sites... does it matter where it FIRST goes up?  If something is going onto only ONE site (besides TDM's own), is there a "best" one?

Thanks!

C'es ne pas un .sig

Anyhow, do you folks have any monitor/feedback mechanism to see which sites (besides your own) are the most important/influential with your own fans?  If somone publishes a review on one site, then republishes on other sites... does it matter where it FIRST goes up?  If something is going onto only ONE site (besides TDM's own), is there a "best" one?

There are all kinds of analytics packages and services out there, all charging premium prices to tell you how internet coverage is affecting your sales. However, there are a few things that we do know without having to rely on such services...

1. There aren't enough product reviews generally on independent, widely read sites such as RPGnet, Boardgamegeek and ENworld. There certainly aren't enough reviews of our own products either.

2. While there may be reviews on blogs, these really don't attract a lot of foot traffic. So where a review goes first DOES matter. One review on a well-read site is worth a dozen reviews on a dozen blogs.

3. Publishing a review on our own site and forum is helpful, but preaching largely to the converted. Growth comes through new customers and enthusiasts, so reviews appearing where such people go to look is very important.

4. Reviewing is a skill that needs to be developed. A good review is balanced, detailed (but not overly so) and objective. While a really positive review is terrific, a gushing one paragraph review can do more harm than good because it's not taken seriously.

5. People definitely read reviews on sites where they buy things - Drivethru and RPGnow being to two most influential - and act on them. It's easy to post a review, and these things translate into metrics that we can analyse through a whole bunch of tools DTRPG provides. So reviews DTRPG are very, very valuable.

Hope this helps.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, lawrence.whitaker said:

You can certainly post a review on the Design Mechanism Forum - see the main website for the link. I'd also recommend posting reviews on Drivethru, RPGnet, RPGsite and ENWorld. 

Thank you Lawrence.