The Eleven Lights - it's for HQG, but easily adaptable for RQ

MOB

The sequel to The Coming Storm is now out in PDF. Whatever history holds for the Red Cow clan, players are about to find out in The Eleven Lights: 

https://www.chaosium.com/the-eleven-lights-pdf/

This product is for HeroQuest Glorantha, but can be easily adapted to RuneQuest as well.

CHA40431_-_The_Eleven_lights_Front_Cover

Don't forget—when the print version is available, you get the full price of the PDF off when you buy from Chaosium.com.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Manu said:

is it possible to have an idea of the workload to convert it to RQG? I never played Heroquest Glorantha and I have only the RQS.

A HeroQuest scenario is a Cameo for about any other system. You need to decide which characters you want to stat out, and how detailed, and which rolls you are likely to use to solve a conflict.

• Like 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

I would pay for a pdf of RQG stats for any HQG campaign.

Its easy to handwave of course, but having official stats is certainly welcomed.

• Like 1

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

4 hours ago, kaydet said:

@Runeblogger If I recall correctly, there's been a fair amount of discussion about just that prospect. I think the word from Chaosium was that it was possible, but not a certainty by any means.

Yes, it is something we are keen to do down the track, but just not a priority right now. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, MOB said:

Yes, it is something we are keen to do down the track, but just not a priority right now. 

Given that RQG isn't out yet, "right now" seems a bit premature.  :D

I hope that beginning the RQG-ification of HQ stuff does follow pretty hard on the release of those core rules, however!  There's SO much playable content; it'd be silly to keep it locked behind such a (relatively-trivial) barrier...

• Like 3

C'es ne pas un .sig

2 hours ago, g33k said:

Given that RQG isn't out yet, "right now" seems a bit premature.  :D

I hope that beginning the RQG-ification of HQ stuff does follow pretty hard on the release of those core rules, however!  There's SO much playable content; it'd be silly to keep it locked behind such a (relatively-trivial) barrier...

With so many planned releases at hand

• 5(!) books alone for RuneQuest Glorantha
  • completing the RuneQuest Classic Kickstarter and get the results printed and available
  • completing the 13th Age Glorantha Kickstarter (at least 2 major books)
  • completing the Khan of Khans Kickstarter
  • going ahead with the next RuneQuest Glorantha books
  • going ahead with the next HeroQuest Glorantha books
  • getting all these things promoted on so many conventions and wherever else
  • whatever I've missed here

and with only so many people available (what? 10? 15?) this barrier seems not so trivial to me ...

Edited by Oracle
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Oracle said:

With so many planned releases at hand

• completing the 13th Age Glorantha Kickstarter (at least 2 major books)

and with only so many people available (what? 10? 15?) this barrier seems not so trivial to me ...

Agreed (except for the 13G, which isn't Chaosium's (though it steals MOB man-hours)).

But I'd be willing to bet that a small cadre (3-5ish?) of HQ+RQ competent "amateurs" could be assembled to roll these out, complete and correct, only needing layout by Chaosium; the resulting product could be sold for something like $3ish PDF ("Sartar Canmpaign Pack" pricing), or whatever Lulu/POD costs for hardcopy (i.e. not its own profit-center, but to drive sales of the HQ books); maybe "free if bought with the associated HQ book."

I'd bet the "cadre" could be induced to work for little more than a copy of the prettified final hardcopy and/or maybe a bit of Chaosium store-credt.

Obviously, I'm not in the gaming-business so I don't know if I've enumerated a loss or a break-even for them, and maybe I'm underestimating how much the "cadre" would demand; but I suspect SOMETHING could be done along these lines...

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

Pardon my **** but personally I give very few ****s about whether Joe Cow****er has 53% Animal Handling or 61%.  I want to know what novice, veteran etc. ranges are and how many skills people in different roles will have advanced, and how far.  Then I can improvise it.

I liked the RQ3 skill-points-by-year rules because they grounded skill numbers very objectively, and you knew exactly what they represented in terms of life experience.

Exceptional stats for NPCs would be cool, to know if so-and-so has low SIZ or high Hates Nose Flute Music.  But full traditional RQ stat blocks for everyone sounds like it would be a bit bulky.

• Like 2

What really happened?  The only way to discover that is to experience it yourself.

1 hour ago, g33k said:

... but I suspect SOMETHING could be done along these lines...

True. And I confess, I would like to see it too. I just have my doubts about, how easy it could be done (given the available man-power).

47 minutes ago, Roko Joko said:

Pardon my **** but personally I give very few ****s about whether Joe Cow****er has 53% Animal Handling or 61%.  I want to know what novice, veteran etc. ranges are and how many skills people in different roles will have advanced, and how far.  Then I can improvise it.

I liked the RQ3 skill-points-by-year rules because they grounded skill numbers very objectively, and you knew exactly what they represented in terms of life experience.

Exceptional stats for NPCs would be cool, to know if so-and-so has low SIZ or high Hates Nose Flute Music.  But full traditional RQ stat blocks for everyone sounds like it would be a bit bulky.

Yes, basic rules for how to do a conversion and complete write-ups for exceptional NPCs would be a very useful approach.

Edited by Oracle
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Roko Joko said:

Actually, I've always thought that RQ NPCs being so much a pain in the butt to generate, the HQ method of generalizations works great.

It's the one place that I think weapon styles actually make sense.

(Then again, remember that RAW Greg said that NPCs and monsters should also get skill gain rolls if they survive player encounters.)

7 hours ago, Oracle said:

Yes, basic rules for how to do a conversion and complete write-ups for exceptional NPCs would be a very useful approach.

Everyone's opinion is OK, but I was talking about exceptional stats rather than exceptional NPCs.  Stating only stats that are exceptional, for anyone, and leaving other stats unstated/summarized/implied.

What really happened?  The only way to discover that is to experience it yourself.

3 hours ago, Roko Joko said:

Everyone's opinion is OK, but I was talking about exceptional stats rather than exceptional NPCs.  Stating only stats that are exceptional, for anyone, and leaving other stats unstated/summarized/implied.

Something like "use baseline profile average Heortling Thane  with following exceptional stats: ..." and possibly a rune passion profile (giving roleplaying hints for the NPC to the narrator)?

Such info could easily be fed into a character-sheet generator and produce full or short character profiles which could be DIY printed on cards or in a booklet, or be made available as an app.

• Like 2

Telling how it is excessive verbis

I'd note this. If you look at Borderlands or Pavis, the NPCs rarely have stats, unless they appear in an adventure. This is because most encounter were probably not intended to be combat, and so the space cost of providing RQ stat blocks for all of the characters was questionable. If you needed to know someone's Bargain, you made it up on the fly, and recorded it on a notecard for consistency. You only needed stats, if you expected to roll for them. I know of many people that play just this way.

Griffin Mountain was an exception, in that most of the key NPCs were statted. I would say that was not necessary, but was a decision based on the age of the product.

The Coming Storm has over 60 NPCs (btw I assume when folks talk about statting up the 11 Lights, they mostly mean The Coming Storm as most of the NPCs are described there). Assuming we could stat a characters in half a page, that would be 30 pages of the product. As that increases cost, there is a real question of utility. Would you use all those stats?

This is a question for all products of this scope, not just the 11 Lights btw. Stats for everyone, or just the key NPCs players may interact with via game rules.

That said, I'm very open to this happening once the final RQG rules are out. If anyone feels able to product accurate RQG characters, and wants to take a stab at turning the capsule HQG descriptions (Runes, Occupation etc) into RQG stats, then get in touch with me at that time, and I'll happily see what I can do to work with you and make that happen.

For my part, I need to focus my creative efforts on HQ and HQG and my time is a little pressured by that. My regular group doesn't play RQG, preferring HQG, so I also doubt my ability to justice to RQG stats, even with insider versions of the rule set, until I get some more experience with the game somewhere. So I would be happy to get someone else involved in this.

If you want to do them for RQ2 etc, that's fine, but I expect Chaosium to concentrate its efforts on RQG.

[BTW I recognize that stats can be useful to see how Chaosium 'benchmarks' leader style NPCs, so that you can get a feel for your own campaign, but the history of that model has been somewhat questionable to me; so that needs thought as an approach]

• Like 5

I'd love to see generic stat-blocks, which were common in RQ3 releases: the ones in Vikings (Jarl, Skald, Berserk, a few different competence levels of warriors, etc.) would be a good basis. Then named characters can just be "a Thane with 87% Orate" as opposed to needing a full stat-block.

• Like 2

— 
Self-discipline isnt everything; look at Pol Pot.”
—Helen Fielding, Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason

I like what they did for Cthulhu 7th Edition in French (I don't have it in English, therefore I don't know if it is the same).

But for non aggressive NPC, they just put some generic stats like : knowledge 25%, Physical 50%, social 75%...

Not a list of skill, but it is easy to see what the guy is good at and if sole skill tests are necessary, we have a quick idea of its expertise.

And for the more 'fighting' opponent, more skills are described (like weapon skill, ...)

• Like 1