New Edition of WFRP Coming

tobarstep

http://cubicle7.co.uk/cubicle-7-and-games-workshop-announce-new-edition-of-warhammer-fantasy-roleplay/

I'm putting this here because it's a d100 game even if not BRP related. Most of you probably follow industry news closer than I, so this is not "news" to you. I just stumbled upon it yesterday though and could hardly contain my glee. Zweihander is a great system, but it just feels slightly lacking in some areas. I hope they can fill those voids with WFRP 4e. And honestly, I don't think WFRP does combat quite as well as Mythras, so I might end up running something in the Old World but using Mythras rules anyway.

• Like 3

I enjoyed WHFRP 1st Edition immensely.

WHFRP 2nd Edition did Magis better than 1st and was all in all more balanced - but they neutered in some point by making more "political correct" (What was wrong mit "von Krieglitz-Untermensch"?) and generelly a more streamlined background and rules system came with a notion of taking things to seriously. I liked the gritty and tacky feel of the 1st Edition.

WHFRP 3rd Edition was not my system at all (though I bought quite a lot of it anyways), being to fidgety and boardgamy with all the tokens and funny special dice that were quite expensive, too.

So, I am hoping that I can withstand the urge to by this edition (FAT chance at that!) but if WHEN I buy it I hope for something that simply leaves out 3rd and goes back to the gritty, wacky feel of the simpler 1st edition - with working magic rules and a kiss on the cheek and kick in the behind to game balance, PC and all the rest that made 2nd such a "serious" game but maintaining the deeper background 2nd provided.

Oh yes, and nix the "Storm of Chaos" and give me my Empire back that is threatenend from the outside but really rotting from within! And make it whacky: Make the Imperial Chancelor Gerhard Merkel, name the mayor of Betonnia's capital Macronne, give me a bombastic ass-headed Chaos-Knight Tonhald von Trumpf as a villain etc. THAT is MY Warhammer!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Indeed. Their stated intention is to base it off of 1st and 2nd editions, though they have not yet given specifics. I think most people (in forums anyway) are hoping for something like 2nd edition mechanics with 1st edition setting. Very few people liked 3rd edition.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/08/2017 at 11:03 PM, Der Rote Baron said:

I enjoyed WHFRP 1st Edition immensely.

WHFRP 2nd Edition did Magis better than 1st and was all in all more balanced - but they neutered in some point by making more "political correct" (What was wrong mit "von Krieglitz-Untermensch"?) and generelly a more streamlined background and rules system came with a notion of taking things to seriously. I liked the gritty and tacky feel of the 1st Edition.

WHFRP 3rd Edition was not my system at all (though I bought quite a lot of it anyways), being to fidgety and boardgamy with all the tokens and funny special dice that were quite expensive, too.

So, I am hoping that I can withstand the urge to by this edition (FAT chance at that!) but if WHEN I buy it I hope for something that simply leaves out 3rd and goes back to the gritty, wacky feel of the simpler 1st edition - with working magic rules and a kiss on the cheek and kick in the behind to game balance, PC and all the rest that made 2nd such a "serious" game but maintaining the deeper background 2nd provided.

Oh yes, and nix the "Storm of Chaos" and give me my Empire back that is threatenend from the outside but really rotting from within! And make it whacky: Make the Imperial Chancelor Gerhard Merkel, name the mayor of Betonnia's capital Macronne, give me a bombastic ass-headed Chaos-Knight Tonhald von Trumpf as a villain etc. THAT is MY Warhammer!

This is EXACTLY my view. Do you mind if I quote this on the WFRP forums?

If one was to put together a warhammer fantasy game, but use a different system like the aforementioned Mythras, what materials would you recommend for setting education? I have a copy of 1e in surprisingly good condition and would like some other things to read up on. Any recommended campaigns? I know there are a couple, but forget their names. 

1 hour ago, Raleel said:

If one was to put together a warhammer fantasy game, but use a different system like the aforementioned Mythras, what materials would you recommend for setting education? I have a copy of 1e in surprisingly good condition and would like some other things to read up on. Any recommended campaigns? I know there are a couple, but forget their names. 

What do you mean with "setting education"? Background of the world?

For campaigns nothing beats the classic: The Enemy within. For that you'll need Shadows over Bögenhafen, Death on the Reik, Power Behind the Throne,Something Rotten in Kiselev and Empire in Flames or an internet alternative: The Empire at War. I can only comment on Bögenhafen and Death because that is as far as I got gming the campaign (we we at it for two years or so). It all starts with a curious conspiracy, continues with a (in feel, not tentacles) Cthuloesc adventure in Bögenhafen (the adventure might end with the whole city in flames!) and goes on with Reik, one of the best sandboxes I have ever gmed. After that I ran out of steam but Power behind teh Throne is also very good. Kislev is - so I have heard - more of a sidetrack and may not be necessary to really finish the campaign. Empire in Flames is a little railroady - the reason why some WH-authors came up with The Empire At War.

Don't buy the Doomstones-campaign if you don't want to play basically an AD&D-dungeon romp.

The Restless Dead is a very linear "go from A to B and see what happens in between"-adventure. But not bad.

2nd Edition I have only played as a .. well .. player. So I can only tell you about the adventures from a limited perspective.

The Paths of the Damned is a very linear trilogy. Our gm wasn't always prepared to the best of his capabilities, so I guess I got a limited "best of"-encounters treatment but it was just "follow the red line and do stuff when you are supposed to do it". Probably not a total loss but not something you will have glowing memories of.

The Thousand Thrones is quite epic - about the second coming of Sigmar himself. Our gm (a different one) said that he had a hard time to handle all the names and personas and plot-twists - and he is a real-life judge presiding over quite complicated economic cases and knows his files! We did not finish it (because we think we killed Sigmar ...) but it sure wasn't bad at all. But seems like a lot of work.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Der Rote Baron said:

What do you mean with "setting education"? Background of the world?

yes, and feel. art, etc. Something that would allow my players and myself to get the gist of it and communicate about the world in the same place, have the same expectations, etc. I've found that setting buy in is pretty important for my group, so I like to get that :)

and thanks or the list of adventures! The Enemy Within probably will be more than enough for my crew :)

Warhammer 1st edition Rulebook has a very good section on the world - Empire and beyond. You also find some generic maps of temples, villages etc. If you don't want to spend a lot of money that is the book to buy. And you get The Oldenhaller Contract, a nice introductory adventure set in Nuln.

Sigmar's Heirs for 2nd Edition is the sourcebook for the Empire. So if you want to game within the Empire that is the book to go.

I found all the other setting books (MIddenheim, Marieenburg and the guide to Bretonnia) also worth my while.

If you need mare information about religion and chaos Realms of Chaos and Realms of Religion (hope that's the title, only have the German translation of that book) are helpful.

The Liber Chaotica is a terrific read of the book of the same name that is actually part of the world - like the Warhammer's Necronomicon. If you really want to understand Chaos that is the (very expensive) way to do it (fetched TOP-€uros, I paid aover 200 for my used edition; may get it now for 70-90 with a little luck).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/2/2017 at 3:03 PM, Der Rote Baron said:

... a bombastic ass-headed Chaos-Knight Tonhald von Trumpf as a villain etc ,,,

I think the name you are looking for is "Drumpf".

It fits closer to the source material.

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

It is actually the same difference because "Drumpf" probably means the same as "Trumpf" = trump. Spelling differs and the area his ancestor's family came from is not really good at pronouncing the "d" and the "t" all that differently.

BTW, I don't really care for the John Oliver campaign at all - his pounding on the the oh-so-funny-sounding originally name of the Trump-family had for this German a rather unpleasant connotations: "Hey, look, what a stupid sounding name. Like all German names! Sounds like a cow passing wind! Hahahaha!"

Not his exact words, mind you, but it was basically the hit-the-Krauts-hit-em-harder-stupid-Jerries-and-their-names-BS. He should try that with any other ethnic background in the US and we could see Mr Oliver running for the hills.

No, my Chaosknight is Tonald Trumpf, Khorne's Krimson Karnage Killer from the Northern Wastes with his battle-cry: "Make Chaos Great Again!"

Join him and his confederacy of flag.waving beastmen at their tea party in the forest surrounding Nuln near the old statue of General Ro Bertili, the infamous Tilean Renegade!

BTW: "Donald" is a Celtic name meaning "ruler of the world" or "mighty ruler" - makes you think, eh ...?

Edited by Der Rote Baron
spelling mistakes

15 hours ago, Der Rote Baron said:

It is actually the same difference because "Drumpf" probably means the same as "Trumpf" = trump. Spelling differs and the area his ancestor's family came from is not really good at pronouncing the "d" and the "t" all that differently.

... and we should recall that the Romans came late to the Germanic languages; so the t-vs-d issue is no more relevant as a "correct" spelling than in any other language which is overlaid into the Latin alphabet.

15 hours ago, Der Rote Baron said:

BTW, I don't really care for the John Oliver campaign at all - his pounding on the the oh-so-funny-sounding originally name of the Trump-family had for this German a rather unpleasant connotations: "Hey, look, what a stupid sounding name. Like all German names! Sounds like a cow passing wind! Hahahaha!"

Not his exact words, mind you, but it was basically the hit-the-Krauts-hit-em-harder-stupid-Jerries-and-their-names-BS. He should try that with any other ethnic background in the US and we could see Mr Oliver running for the hills.

Note that Oliver didn't "discover" this name.  It just became a big issue because of Trump's electoral run.

I think mainly he was baiting/mocking/trolling Trump himself.  For all that he was speaking to his "audience" I think he was really trying to send Mr.Trump off-script and even off the rails...  :-)

But I think other white ethnic groups get similar sorts of treatment; Slavic names, for example, are often similarly-mocked:  for their un-pronounce-ablity and for the way their spelling violates "normal" rules of English.  Kinds-of-pasta are often taken as formal Italian names.  Etc. 

But in general, "civility" has declined in favor of mean-spiritedness, under the guise of "free speech."

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig