What edition of Heroquest are you using?

Ian Cooper

Which version of Heroquest are you using in play?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Which version of Heroquest are you using in play?

• Hero Wars, keep it old school
    • Heroquest, First Edition
    • Heroquest
    • Heroquest Glorantha
    • A hybrid i.e. Heroquest Glorantha but with fixed ratings from Heroquest, First Edition

7 hours ago, Ian Cooper said:

I'd also be interested if anyone misses the AP style contests from HW and First Edition and would like to see a version for Heroquest

I do not.  I thought those were particularly cumbersome and glad to see them removed.

What I do include in my game is a slightly greater number/range of Difficulties, and on a rare occasion a fixed difficulty level for a special ability from some NPC.

• Like 2

Before moving to my own FATE-ish HQ hack, we used the latest HQ:G, and previously HQ2, and even sooner HQ1.

I don't miss at all the AP bids from HQ1, since they certainly disrupted the flow of narration by introducing a maths-game we all felt out of place.

• Like 3

I quite liked the concept of whittling down each opponents APs, but in practice it got a little too clunky for the narrative game flow, so HQ2 and HQG have a better approach.

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

Mmmh, let's see...

I would have written the choices this way:

• Hero Wars: Roleplaying in Glorantha (2000)

• HeroQuest: Roleplaying in Glorantha (2003)

• HeroQuest: Core Rules (2009)

• HeroQuest: Glorantha (2015)

• A hybrid i.e. HeroQuest: Glorantha but with fixed ratings from HeroQuest: Roleplaying in Glorantha

But, hey! that's just me...

To answer your question, I shall be happy to use HQ2.1 (HQ:CR -with the promised modifications from HQ:G published on the website- as well as HQ:G itself) once it has been properly... errated!

For me both fixed ratings, edges, APs & all the rest are dead & buried with HQ1 (i.e. both HW:RiG & HQ:RiG).

I agree with Christian Braun who wrote elsewhere that: "HeroQuest [2] is the RPG I always dreamt of. It's simple, yet lets you do everything you ever wanted to do. It's not a game for rule freaks, it's a game for people who like a game that supports your imagination."

Edited by Christoph Kohring
  • Like 3

33 minutes ago, Christoph Kohring said:

I agree with Christian Braun who wrote elsewhere that: "HeroQuest [2] is the RPG I always dreamt of. It's simple, yet lets you do everything you ever wanted to do. It's not a game for rule freaks, it's a game for people who like a game that supports your imagination."

Exactly!

• Like 1

Yes, as much as I love Glorantha, I think HQ needs to be unshackled from the setting to reach it's full potential (although HQG should remain in print).

A new edition produced with the same production standards as HQG should go a long way to raising the game's statue. In my opinion HQ should sit on the shelves next to the likes of Savage Worlds and FATE as a 'go-to' generic setting for cinematic settings. For me the only system that is comparable with HQ mechanics is FATE, and HQ is even more narrative in a sense that every trait operates like a FATE 'aspect'. It will be good for HQ to get the profile it deserves :)

Edited by Mankcam
  • Like 1

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

1 hour ago, soltakss said:

I have tried understanding HQ2e but cannot grasp it.

In any case, I use a lighter version of HQ1e, which suits our group's style of play.

From reading your HQLite rules (which I assume you are referring to) they seem not to different from the current HQ rules.

2 hours ago, Richard S. said:

From reading your HQLite rules (which I assume you are referring to) they seem not to different from the current HQ rules.

Great minds think alike, Fools seldom differ ...

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

14 hours ago, Ian Cooper said:

@soltakss If there are parts we can help with the understanding of, feel free to ask.

Thanks Ian, I have asked before and have had lovely, very helpful detailed answers. Maybe I'll have to play HQ2e with someone who really understands it, so I can get some of the bits.

Lingering Consequences and The Pass/Fail Cycle simply passed me by. I probably use them in my RQ and HQ games without even thinking about what they are. 

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

5 hours ago, soltakss said:

Thanks Ian, I have asked before and have had lovely, very helpful detailed answers. Maybe I'll have to play HQ2e with someone who really understands it, so I can get some of the bits.

Lingering Consequences and The Pass/Fail Cycle simply passed me by. I probably use them in my RQ and HQ games without even thinking about what they are. 

Yes, I find for some folks playing is a way to the 'lightbulb' moment.

We will try to an actual play online at some point.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, soltakss said:

I don't use these explicitly, but in building up the central climax and final resolution of a given session, I find they are implicit in shaping conflicts.

34 minutes ago, Ian Cooper said:

Yes, I find for some folks playing is a way to the 'lightbulb' moment.

We will try to an actual play online at some point.

First post after lurking the forum for what feels forever...an online actual play would be such a great tool to both teach and advertise HQ (and Glorantha).

my 2 cows

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Balakatun said:

First post after lurking the forum for what feels forever...an online actual play would be such a great tool to both teach and advertise HQ (and Glorantha).

my 2 cows

Not sure if that counts as an online play from your point of view, but I know, that there are several PbF (Play by Forum) games running at rpggeek.com. I know of at least two, which are led by @jajagappa, and in one I'm lucky to be one of the players - and I've learned already lot about how a HeroQuest Glorantha session is working.

Edited by Oracle
  • Like 2

Ian - thanks for the welcome, and I just got my copies of both The Coming Storm and Eleven Lights yesterday, look great!

Oracle - thanks for the links, yes it does count, and after looking quickly at them I can see how they can help better get the system. However to be honest I was really just pointing out my interest (or craving maybe) for some video actual plays for RQ/HQ/Glorantha. I learned a lot about many games and also about new/different role-playing approaches through actual plays videos - and to tell the truth they also did an amazing promotional job on me. I'm trying to get back in the hobby after a very long hiatus and I bought a ton of great games and supplements in the past months because/thanks to them.

I guess I'm just a little sad to not find enough RQ/HQ/Glorantha material.

Anyways, enough of me hijacking this thread and thanks again for the links.