House Rules from Veterans

Archivist

9 hours ago, JonL said:

Unrated Flaws

Instead of assigning ratings to Flaws, Players simply note them on the character sheet. The GM then chooses the Resistance for any Flaw challenges that present themselves in the game just like any other contest. This adds a bit more flexibility, such that the same Flaw might be a mere inconvenience one situation yet a major challenge in another. 

That's an interesting and intriguing approach.  Might think about trying that in the future.

I'm not sure this is really a House Rule, but I occasionally award a player the 'Humor Point' or the 'Great Story Point'--a bonus Hero Point awarded when a player does something that makes everyone laugh or go "wow! that was awesome!" It encourages the players to think in term of telling their character's story rather than 'following the rules'. 

Also, when someone spends a Hero Point to affect a die roll, I ask them "What does that Hero Point look like?" They get a chance to briefly narrate the thing the character did that tipped the balance in their favor. "I jumped up into the air and drove my spear down through the Lunar's chest, pinning him to the ground " or "I rendered her speechless by given her such a seductive look that all she could think about for a moment is how much she wanted me" or something like that. Again, it encourages the players to focus on the storytelling, not the rules. 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Does any one have any mechanics they use to distinguish Superheores from Heroes in Glotantha?

Is it a matter of having a certain number of Feats as a certain level ? or banking heropoints to purchase Superhero abilities for huge amounts?

1 hour ago, Martin said:

Does any one have any mechanics they use to distinguish Superheores from Heroes in Glotantha?

Is it a matter of having a certain number of Feats as a certain level ? or banking heropoints to purchase Superhero abilities for huge amounts?

In our current game, the PCs gain abilities through experience and it doesn't really matter what skill increases they get. Each ability costs around 10 Hero Points (We use Hero Points as Experience Points, the same as in HeroQuest) and they often get a free ability as a reward for a successful HeroQuest. Abilities are what gives them power, as they can combine the abilities in a freeform way.

Our PCs would definitely count as Heroes and are on their way to becoming SuperHeroes at the moment.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

7 hours ago, Martin said:

I have not done so personally as have never gotten to a point where I needed to.

However, just having some number of additional Feats seems wrong.  And both must have gained the heroic ability to return from the Dead, so not that.  We know as well that it is not Illumination for Argrath is Illuminated, while no indication that Harrek is.

If you go by Sandy Petersen's hypothesis, then the Superheroes have fully embodied a specific Rune (e.g. Harrek = Death, Elamle = Life, Androgeus = Man, etc.).  So perhaps that means that you have the full ability to manipulate that Rune in any capacity (e.g. create on-the-fly Feats, become the avatar of that Rune on the God Plane, etc.)

14 minutes ago, jajagappa said:

I have not done so personally as have never gotten to a point where I needed to.

However, just having some number of additional Feats seems wrong.  And both must have gained the heroic ability to return from the Dead, so not that.  We know as well that it is not Illumination for Argrath is Illuminated, while no indication that Harrek is.

If you go by Sandy Petersen's hypothesis, then the Superheroes have fully embodied a specific Rune (e.g. Harrek = Death, Elamle = Life, Androgeus = Man, etc.).  So perhaps that means that you have the full ability to manipulate that Rune in any capacity (e.g. create on-the-fly Feats, become the avatar of that Rune on the God Plane, etc.)

so what does full ability to manipulate the rune mean in game terms, a certain level of Mastery?

26 minutes ago, Martin said:

so what does full ability to manipulate the rune mean in game terms, a certain level of Mastery?

I'd say two+ levels of Mastery - you should be Nearly Impossible to defeat via that Rune, even on the God Plane (though of course you may have other weaknesses).

Likely you need worshippers who can empower your actions.

You probably need the Feat Return from Hell, and maybe that has to be through your specific Rune.  For Harrek, that might mean cutting/clawing a hole through the Barrier of Life and Death.  

We know some things about being a Hero. One key item is that you have a cult of 500 or so worshipers, who you offer some magic to, in essence a feat in return for their worship. Being a hero also restricts your freedom of movement (some early attempts at describing high power heroquesting called this free will, the essential idea is that it gets harder to act outside key patterns). So I would say establishing a cult is key. What do you get in turn? A community of followers as per the community rules at the least. Being able to use the Magic Rating of the community could be very helpful for example. Someone to pray for you and send you their strength as you escape the underworld after your death.

A Superhero possesses the Infinity Rune, complete control of the magic around them. In the boardgame Dragon Pass it effectively makes them immune to magical attacks. I'm not sure quite how we model this, but it feels like a start