Questions about the "Take Initiative" combat effect

Mumaransa

Hello,

The book say :

The target loses a number of Strike Ranks proportional to your Skill.

What does it mean?

Do i have to take the skill percentage divided by 10?

And from a narrative point of view, how do you descrive this action?

Thx in advance.

Edited by Mumaransa

This relates to Page 114 in the Revolution d100 rules, I think.

"When an Effect mentions a number "proportional to your Skill", you can either use
the tens die or roll an appropriate die (1d2 for Skills 1-20, 1d4 for 21-40, 1d6 for 41-
60, 1d8 for 61-80, 1d10 for 81-100, 1d12 for more than 100), depending on whether
you want to be able to predict the exact number when choosing the Effect."

So, if you have a Skill of 65, the target loses 6 Strike Ranks, or you can roll 1d8 to see how many Strike ranks the target loses.

As to the narrative, I would guess that you have done something that is a bit surprising and have gained a slight advantage from the target readjusting strategy.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

7 hours ago, soltakss said:

As to the narrative, I would guess that you have done something that is a bit surprising and have gained a slight advantage from the target readjusting strategy.

Or, more simply, just Good Ol' Feinting :)

Now that Simon has competently explained the mechanical effects of the rules, I will explain why there is this ambiguity. The version we tested very, very thoroughly uses the 1dskill rule, while at a later stage we switched to the "tens die" version. Both versions work adequately, so we could not declare one to be better than the other and left the decision to the players. The combat cards, being a "quick use" game aid with no room available for uncertainty, list only the "tens die" version, but rest assured that if you use the other one, it will not betray you.

PS: Take Initiative is the fundamental Combat Effect for Melee Combat, use it liberally in game. When in doubt, use Take Initiative. Sooner or later, your enemy will need those Strike Ranks you have just taken away.

• Like 1

Proud member of the Evil CompetitionTM

9 hours ago, soltakss said:

This relates to Page 114 in the Revolution d100 rules, I think.

"When an Effect mentions a number "proportional to your Skill", you can either use
the tens die

(...)

So, if you have a Skill of 65, the target loses 6 Strike Ranks, 

So if you have a skill of 65, the target loses UP TO 6 SR (actually = the tens die you just rolled, which could be 0 to 6 in this example). Or am I wrong ?

Wind on the Steppes, role playing among the steppe Nomads. The  running campaign and the blog

15 hours ago, Zit said:

So if you have a skill of 65, the target loses UP TO 6 SR (actually = the tens die you just rolled, which could be 0 to 6 in this example). Or am I wrong ?

That would work as well. It gives a random number, rather than the fixed amount from using the tens part of the skill, but saves rolling another die to find the Strike ranks lost.

Another reason why Revolution d100 is flexible, one simple rule has three ways of working, depending on the context and how the GM and Players want it to work.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here