Magic Worlds Questions

Scout

20 hours ago, Simlasa said:

What don't you like about the aiming rules? An additional 7% to skill for each 5 dex ranks spent, IIRC... or do you mean 'called shots'... as in trying to hit a specific body location?

Both if I am honest

But I was originally specifically referring to the 'called shots' ruleĀ 

All IMMOO of course but I much prefer the Mythras roll at full skill and if you achieve a Special or Critical you can choose to strike a specific location to the MW take a big penalty to your skill roll and success means hitting your chosen location

Rule Zero: Don't be on fire

1 hour ago, Al. said:

All IMMOO of course but I much prefer the Mythras roll at full skill and if you achieve a Special or Critical you can choose to strike a specific location to the MW take a big penalty to your skill roll and success means hitting your chosen location

They seem not too dissimilar in favoring characters with higher skill. But I prefer having some method to purposefully boost my success (taking time to aim and getting a bonus to hit) vs. just relying on luck. Something to distinguish a sniper setting up for a careful shot, vs. same sniper having to quickly pull off an unprepared attack.

Edited by Simlasa

• 1 year later...

Using this question for a quick rules question: The MW player tipps suggest that you should make sure to have a combat skill at 101%+ ... but is that even possible for a starting character with no extra age? The way I see it, you get a maximum of base 25 (e.g. warhammer), 9 points STR bonus and 60% for one occupation skill (culture doesn't provide weapon skills, and the free bonus points you receive at the end don't stack with your occ. skills). That makes 94%. Am I missing something?

53 minutes ago, Jakob said:

Using this question for a quick rules question: The MW player tipps suggest that you should make sure to have a combat skill at 101%+ ... but is that even possible for a starting character with no extra age? The way I see it, you get a maximum of base 25 (e.g. warhammer), 9 points STR bonus and 60% for one occupation skill (culture doesn't provide weapon skills, and the free bonus points you receive at the end don't stack with your occ. skills). That makes 94%. Am I missing something?

That's not possible unless you allow for "Experienced" starting characters (see sidebar on page 23). The goal for characters should be to get a fighting skill to 101+ because that makes survival in a fight more probable. That's all the advice section is; a list of things that will probably help you avoid a messy, forgettable death in the long run.

Just now, Nick J. said:

That's not possible unless you allow for "Experienced" starting characters (see sidebar on page 23). The goal for characters should be to get a fighting skill to 101+ because that makes survival in a fight more probable. That's all the advice section is; a list of things that will probably help you avoid a messy, forgettable death in the long run.

Thanks, makes sense! I read the advise as "things you should keep in mind when creating your character", so I was wondering if there were some hidden extra-points to spend ...

Yeah, the 101%+ suggestion came from Elric! where characters had 250 points to break up amongst their occupational skills, as desired. And every occupation included at least one weapon skill.Ā Ā 

Edited by Atgxtg

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

Hi and welcome.

What settings have you brought to life with MW?
Iā€™m fairly new to Magic World myself but when Iā€™m learning a new game I do so by writing a setting that plays to the gameā€™s strengths. For Magic World I made The Broken Isles.Ā 
To make good use of the rules presented in Magic World this setting is an Iron AgeĀ 
archipelago where bloody conflict between the various nations and species of peoples is allĀ 
too common; often due to the hidden influences of the gods of Light, Balance, and Shadow.Ā 
Here wizards are rare but feared and drawn blades all too common.Ā 

The Broken Isles are a long archipelago stretching from the equator to the arctic and nearly asĀ 
wide. The only other land mass is the continent of the elves separated from the Broken IslesĀ 
by a vast ocean.

Survival and ambition are the two underlying themes of this setting. Magic World providesĀ 
rules covering the unpleasant aspects of Iron Age life: disease, poison, seasickness, drowning,Ā 
and fights that can leave you horribly wounded if not dead. However, overcoming these risksĀ 
makes achieving your goals even sweater. Ambition and grit can make a soldier an EmperorĀ 
and allow a wizard to uncover powerful arcane knowledge, or they can die horribly trying.
Your PCs will find themselves in a world increasingly concerned with the ambitions of oneĀ 
man, the Emperor who is trying to bring the world under the laws and faith of homeland. TheĀ 
effects of this one manā€™s crusade are felt even in nations distant from the battlefronts asĀ 
refugeeā€™s and slaves arrive, trade is disrupted, and emissaries of the Empire influence localĀ 
rulers.

Once the peoples of the world lived on their own islands. Today the citizens of cosmopolitanĀ 
ports and cities include dwarves, elves, giants, gnomes, goblins, humans, and trolls minglingĀ 
amongst each other without much remark. Humans in particular are now so common theĀ 
elves call them a plague. However, there are rare peoples who would draw the stares orĀ 
blades of even the most jaded dock dweller. Most people will only ever see one or twoĀ 
dragons, centaurs, or talking beasts in their life and there and peoples who most only knowĀ 
about from old legends. All of these peoples have numerous and varied cultures furtherĀ 
adding to the bewilderment of travellers.

What have you ported from other d100 games into your MW?
Other than stealing the stats for house cats from Cthulhu Dreamlands nothing. I havenā€™t needed to Ā yet. Magic World is fairly complete as is. I know a lot of people port in other magic systems but I actually prefer the Magic World core bookā€™s simple and unified system.
I would like to include cleric type spells, what could I port over to do this?
Well advanced sorcery has a chapter of extra spells for the core magic world sorcery rules many of which have allegiance requirements or effects. I wouldnā€™t add in other magic systems as others have suggested. Why? Firstly, the additions would detract from the streamlined play and easy to learn nature of Magic World. Do that and you just get closer to playing RuneQuest and miss out on Magic Worldā€™s unique niche. Second, Sorcery is based on intellect and learning. In most Iron Age societies most scholars were also priests. In a fantasy world Sorcery would be another branch of knowledge that priests study.
Ā How are shields used in MW?
I think this has been answered.

Edited by Coronoides

Next question: Dodge simply seems to be the best defensive skill - its effects in the combat Matrix areĀ the same as in parry, but you don't have a weapon that can be damaged or broken. There are two downsides: You can't make a riposte, and Dodge is a separate skill to put points in at Chargen.

Still, Dodge is definitely superior to shields - you need to learn a separate shield skill, as well, and, like a weapon, a shield can be damaged and broken.

Am I missing something? In terms of effectiveness, is there a good reason to put your startingĀ points in a shield skill instead of Dodge?

6 hours ago, Jakob said:

Still, Dodge is definitely superior to shields - you need to learn a separate shield skill, as well, and, like a weapon, a shield can be damaged and broken.

Am I missing something? In terms of effectiveness, is there a good reason to put your startingĀ points in a shield skill instead of Dodge?

You can't dodge missiles.Ā 

SDLeary

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SDLeary said:

You can't dodge missiles.Ā 

SDLeary

That's a good point. Though shields offer only relatively little missle protection as well, there's a fixed chance depending on shield size that goes from 10 to 30, I think (or to 60 when ducking behind it - I don't have the book at hand at the moment, but I read that part of the rules today and at least remember it like that).

Another thing that might figure into it is armour. In the armour table, there is a skill penalty listed; now, while I can't figure out when it would apply, according to RAW, and it even says explicitly in the rules that there's no armor penalty for combat actions, I'd tend to apply the penalty to dodge, at least. It just seems to make sense, and it would also mean that there can be a meaningful decision between fighting in light armor and focussing on dodging or fighting in heavy armor and using a shield or you main weapon to parry.

From the errata file...

ā—Ā p. 76: the description of the Armor Skill Penalty is missing. Add it in among the description of other facets of armor: ā€œSkill Penalties: Armor can inhibit certain skills or functions of your character, particularly the Agility roll, or other Physical actions such as the Climb, Jump, Stealth, and Swim skills. Additionally, wearing a helmet may limit certain Perception skills. Some armor descriptions include negative modifiers to these skills. Weapon skills are unaffected by the use of armor, as armor is inevitably crafted to be used in combat, and any disadvantages to combat skills would necessitate a redesign of the armor.ā€

I would include Dodge in this, even though it's not listed. Dodge is not a weapon skill.

And HERE is the link to the errata file.

SDLeary

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1