New RQ Design Note #18 - New Logo

MOB

The logo is okay, but I think it needs some 'red' in there somewhere to get that classic RQ feel. I think the logo on the RQ Quickstart was better in some respects, it felt right to me, I'm surprised that it has been changed. Not a deal breaker however, the game mechanics are the main thing.

Edited by Mankcam
  • Like 3

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

Yep I would agree here - the QuickStart logo is great and impactful, while this one feels more 'dated' in terms of design. The emboss effect on the stony background, feels like a bad 3D clipart...yurk, It wont derail me from buying it (been buying Glorantha since the 80s), but a good cover and logo are important for a first good impression and capturing the vibe of the game.Then maybe I'm too old and this is what would attract more of a new generation, in which case Go for it! :P

• Like 2

I dont like to criticise, but I am not overly enthusiastic regarding this new RQ logo. Perhaps if the background was blood red it might look much better, a bit like the embossed title on the RQ2 hardcover (under the dust jacket). 

But if it remains as is, then it looks more connected to the Legend rpg than it does to RQ2, which is not the message to send. 

I agree that it does feel oddly dated (a decade ago maybe), and kinda a bit 'generic fantasy' rather than 'authentic fantasy'. Hard to know why this is, but that is the impression I get.

The RQG Quickstart cover is the opposite; the logo and artwork really connects RQG with RQ2. I dont see a reason why that logo has been superceeded

Sorry to be a bit more critical than usual, but I feel that this logo could be a big mistake if it doesnt promote the association of RQ2 with RQG. After all, that connection is driving almost everything else.

On the other hand, its really good to know that the RQG Core Rules are near completion!

Edited by Mankcam
  • Like 6

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

Looks pathfinderey to me. That or old mongoose. Thinking it needs a better font and less surrounding darkness.

Usually a logo is evocative of a brand and makes one want to delve more into a product. This doesn't speak to me personally of the RQ brand and just fades into the background of the morass of rpg games already on the market but less effectively. Would rather read anything with a better logo.

Edited by Sayerson

Say no to censorship

• "Did he say he was a Rune Lord or that he knew one?"
  • "Go, and never darken my towels again."
  • "Ach Crimmens! Ye smited me...ye craven. Worra, worra. What would me Mum say?"

I like the font, but it's the embossed pseudo stone work that I dislike. I just don't see the need to wrap a cloud around a logo or title, if the design is strong it will stand on it's own. I can see the appeal of this, and clearly it is targeting new younger players which I doubt many of us here fit that demographic.

However, it's what's between the covers that counts, so far we've seen fab art and the QS has given us a taste of whats to come. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Psullie said:

I like the font, but it's the embossed pseudo stone work that I dislike. I just don't see the need to wrap a cloud around a logo or title, if the design is strong it will stand on it's own. I can see the appeal of this, and clearly it is targeting new younger players which I doubt many of us here fit that demographic.

However, it's what's between the covers that counts, so far we've seen fab art and the QS has given us a taste of whats to come. 

That pretty much hit's the nail on the head for me too.  Not that anyone is asking.  My first thoughts when I saw the logo:

"Oh no, that looks like every other RPG out there."

Although it actually doesn't.  The font with runes underneath layout are fine but embossing a font reminds me of RPGs from the mid oughts and cheapens the logo to me.  Now if the font was actually embossed on the cover that would be a different story but then the stonework wouldn't be necessary.  On the other hand it the cover is a fantastic piece of art, like what we've been shown the logo would really need to stand out to be noticed like in the mock up I've attached (I had to put them together to see what it looked like)

But again, and like pretty much everyone else it's what's between the covers that counts, like reading a fortune cookie.

rqmockup-sm.jpg

• Like 1

--

Doorkeeper to cats.

26 minutes ago, Septimus Kendaro said:

That pretty much hit's the nail on the head for me too.  Not that anyone is asking.  My first thoughts when I saw the logo:

"Oh no, that looks like every other RPG out there."

Although it actually doesn't.  The font with runes underneath layout are fine but embossing a font reminds me of RPGs from the mid oughts and cheapens the logo to me.  Now if the font was actually embossed on the cover that would be a different story but then the stonework wouldn't be necessary.  On the other hand it the cover is a fantastic piece of art, like what we've been shown the logo would really need to stand out to be noticed like in the mock up I've attached (I had to put them together to see what it looked like)

But again, and like pretty much everyone else it's what's between the covers that counts, like reading a fortune cookie.

rqmockup-sm.jpg

I don't think that's intended as cover art?

It's a wonderful picture, don't get me wrong, but WAY too dull for cover art.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, styopa said:

I agree, I'm sure it's not - I just wanted to see what the logo might look like with full artwork behind it rather than just sitting on a white background which can make a big difference.

• Like 1

--

Doorkeeper to cats.

I don't like the embossed text either. I also don't understand the inconsistent logo/design compared to the quickstart. Why didn't the QS have this logo/design? I liked its logo/design far batter, as it stood out and had a clear outline. This one is buried in a generic stone background.

• Like 2

+1 for the title/font on the QS over the new one.   There may be some cover-art which rendered the old one less-good and the new one superior...

But IMHO that should call for a change to the cover-art, not weakening the Trade Dress of the line!

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

The QS is much better than this, but not "good" enough IMO for a whole line, it is a bit ... quickstartery. 

But this Mongoose logo .... no, really, no ...

The aesthetics aside, I think it is more important to distance a bit from the Mogoose Edition (and other editions) just to mark it as more.of a restart.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, styopa said:

Yes! I think a cover that looked like this would get lost on a shelf. Not enough pop to catch the eye. 

SDLeary

Edited by SDLeary

OK, upon further reflection, I think the issue is that the "stone" obscures the "text" in that logo. Try strengthening the font, perhaps going up a notch to "semi-bold" or "bold" and see how it looks. I think that would increase the contrast enough to make this more noticeable and eye-catching. Perhaps also reducing the "stone" surround a bit, and/or polishing the "metal" more. 

If you are intending a bright cover, I would think that would provide enough of a break and contrast to highlight the name. 

If you look at the cover on the QS, you have very high contrast that calls out the name of the game, tied to an art piece that firmly show's the type of game, and tying into the history of the game. That is what you should strive for, so that you have an evocative art piece firmly attached to the name of the game.

SDLeary

Edited by SDLeary
  • Like 1