New RQ Design Note #18 - New Logo

MOB

Wow, what an incredibly boring cover. I much prefer the Quickstart-it had a classic RQ look and feel to it. The new one has the look and feel of trail mix. Even the exotic/Gloranthan aspects of it (the bison, zebra,etc.) seem downplayed. 

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

27 minutes ago, Atgxtg said:

Wow, what an incredibly boring cover. I much prefer the Quickstart-it had a classic RQ look and feel to it. The new one has the look and feel of trail mix. Even the exotic/Gloranthan aspects of it (the bison, zebra,etc.) seem downplayed. 

That's not the cover.  That's just the logo superimposed on some released art to see if the logo looks better on an image as opposed to a white background.

I don't think anyone outside Chaosium has any idea what the cover is going to be.  We don't even know that the image on this post is the new RQ logo. Chaosium doesn't say that it is on either this post or in the design note.

Everything here is just guesswork, kibitzing, and general grognardism.

Edited by Septimus Kendaro
  • Like 3

--

Doorkeeper to cats.

Although technically the image file is called rqglogo.png but that's it.  For all we know the logo is just the font + runes and it was just "dressed up" with embossing and "stonework" for the blog post.

EDIT: too many words in the wrong place.

Edited by Septimus Kendaro

--

Doorkeeper to cats.

My first thought when I saw it was, 'graphic novel.'  I really like the storm-shrouded mountain in the far background (not Wintertop, that's too far and across the Upland Marsh.  Irnar's Peak?).  Nice piece, but if it's being considered for cover art, I'd hope for a more realistic landscape.

ETA:  Doh, wrong thread...sort of. :))

Edited by Yelm's Light

19 hours ago, Septimus Kendaro said:

The font with runes underneath layout are fine but embossing a font reminds me of RPGs from the mid oughts and cheapens the logo to me.

Yes this may be my issue with the font style too.

I think it's also important to see it in context on a cover before judging.  I do like the QuickStart logo, but I imagine that the folks at Chaosium have a pretty good eye, and will have seen alternatives in full layout. It may be that side by side this font was the one that worked best. Having said that I'm still not sold on the embossed text.

12 hours ago, Septimus Kendaro said:

That's not the cover.  That's just the logo superimposed on some released art to see if the logo looks better on an image as opposed to a white background.

Oh, and thanks. While I'm not a fan on the logo (nor do I think it looks better on am image, if anything it looks worse), I thought the image made a terrible cover- with or without logo. 

3 hours ago, Mankcam said:

It's a tough audience in the house tonight, heh heh

Not really. Since the crowd is comprised of old RQers, and the rules are going to be based mostly around retro RQ2, it should pretty obvious that the audience is going to want a logo and cover similar to (or at least inspired by) RQ2. Anything more modern looking is going to come in second to the "classic" RQ 2 logo. And anything that appears MRQish is going to just annoy people. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, goldenwheeldancer said:

Nobody is doubting that. But as a piece of evocative art for inside the book it's fantastic imo!

Yeah, it just the sort of thing I'd like to see buried inside the Prax section of the book, with a little description. I don't mind the art, I just don't think its; good for a cover. Glad that is isn't one. 

Edited by Atgxtg
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Atgxtg said:

Not really. Since the crowd is comprised of old RQers, and the rules are going to be based mostly around retro RQ2, it should pretty obvious that the audience is going to want a logo and cover similar to (or at least inspired by) RQ2. Anything more modern looking is going to come in second to the "classic" RQ 2 logo. And anything that appears MRQish is going to just annoy people. 

Just the regular tough crowd then.  ;)  

In the 40 years (damn I'm getting old) I've been gaming I've found gamers to be one of the most opinionated and critical groups I've encountered.  Not saying that's a bad thing, just an observation of the interest and passion gamers have about the games that are important to them.  It's not like people who play, run, and create games aren't imaginative, creative, and generally intelligent and honestly I think it usually leads to great collaboration and better things so long as folks egos don't get in the way.

Looking at the photo of Rick and Jeff holding the preview copies for Gen-Con that logo is definitely being used on it though.

screenshot_121.jpg

--

Doorkeeper to cats.

4 minutes ago, Septimus Kendaro said:

In the 40 years (damn I'm getting old) I've been gaming I've found gamers to be one of the most opinionated and critical groups I've encountered.  Not saying that's a bad thing, just an observation of the interest and passion gamers have about the games that are important to them.  It's not like people who play, run, and create games aren't imaginative, creative, and generally intelligent and honestly I think it usually leads to great collaboration and better things so long as folks egos don't get in the way.

Looking at the photo of Rick and Jeff holding the preview copies for Gen-Con that logo is definitely being used on it though.

screenshot_121.jpg

If the reaction of a number of different individuals is broadly similar then it's worth Chaosium listening. Especially if there is a more objective viewpoint (the association with the Mongoose Logo) - note that even if MRQ was your go-to game this association is probably still there. At least here the reaction doesn't feel ego-driven, rather a honest appraisal. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Gene M. said:

On the other hand, my fiancée who graduated from art school and does design work likes it, although she thinks the Quickstart logo is better.

As they say (whoever they are), it could always be worse.  I'm not fan of the logo as it is, but it definitely could be worse. Much, much, worse.

• Like 1

--

Doorkeeper to cats.

1 hour ago, Septimus Kendaro said:

Exactly, and we may or may not be the target audience for this. Or, to try to be more accurate, Chaosium would love for us to buy it and be a established fan-base for a "new" product, but they are going to have to attract some new blood to be successful, and the logo/cover will probably be more modern looking than the quickstart to go after them. And lets face it, since so many of us are going to buy it regardless of the logo or what the cover looks like, so they don't need to target us with the cover. It's the content that will matter as far as we are concerned. The first book is easy to sell to folks like us, but the supplements will have to earn it. 

1 hour ago, Septimus Kendaro said:

I think it is the interactive nature of the hobby, and probably moreso than usual for RQ, due to its long history and multiple versions and variants. It probably makes us more divided and entrenched than most RPG fanbases. Fans of RQ2, RQ3, Stormbringer, etc each have their own favorite rules and peeves. 

Hmm, if the new RQ is available as a PDF I might just give it the Quickstart cover! We can do stuff like that these days!

• Like 5

I can agree that maybe making the type a bit bolder, but I prefer the logo on the stone background, and not just the text by itself. Now if you were going with the type style of the 8th page from the PDF mockup, then I would say you don't need the stone background.

Edited by Skunkape
Wanted to better qualify my first statement.

Skunk - 285/420 BRP book

You wanna be alright you gotta walk tall

Long Beach Dub Allstars & Black Eyed Peas

I played RQ2 waaaaay back, but didn't pick up any version of BRP/D100/RQ until a couple years ago with RQ6. I'm not a giant fan of the new logo at all, and I gotta agree with the Mongoose comments - looks very much like that. It feels like it is actually lacking identity, and could easily be confused with a Mongoose product.

As for it not being bronze age, I agree, though apparently RQ does not Glorantha now, and they are unlikely to make a special runequest logo for each one (Mythic Iceland, Glorantha, etc). I also prefer the quickstart logo - definitely feels like runequest, I'm quite certain of what I'm getting there. Indeed, it feels like you could take that logo and translate it to other worlds pretty easily by messing with the runes - gloranthan runes, icelandic runes, even icons and other cyber-symbols for futuristic things.

3 hours ago, Atgxtg said:

I think it is the interactive nature of the hobby, and probably moreso than usual for RQ, due to its long history and multiple versions and variants. It probably makes us more divided and entrenched than most RPG fanbases. Fans of RQ2, RQ3, Stormbringer, etc each have their own favorite rules and peeves. 

Perhaps, but RQ fans don't hold a plasma torch relative to the grognardiness of Traveller fans. At least we don't argue over the Traveller logo, after all it has to be red lettering upon black background or it isn't a Traveller logo. ;)