New RQ Design Note #18 - New Logo

MOB

2 hours ago, Zit said:

I don't find the font very... bronze age.

I'm holding out for either a Kish tablet style set of the new rules - hopefully only 3-4000 tablets (boxed), with a slate etched GM screen and stone polyhedral dice. Or preferably a Phaistos Disc style set with bronze cast dice and a stretched goat skin GM screen. Both versions should come with clay to produce fire yourself character sheets and bronze styli for the players and GM.

Edited by David Scott
  • Like 8

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

29 minutes ago, David Scott said:

I'm holding out for either a Kish tablet style set of the new rules - hopefully only 3-4000 tablets (boxed), with a slate etched GM screen and stone polyhedral dice. Or preferably a Phaistos Disc style set with bronze cast dice and a stretched goat skin GM screen. Both versions should come with clay to produce fire yourself character sheets and bronze styli for the players and GM.

A bronze disk, leaf gold, that's all you need. And instructions how to interprete these. (You could go for stone circles, but those are hard to carry along when playing out of your house.)

Instead of years of oral tradition, I'd be willing for a printed book with a modern, readable font for the text and whichever fancy logo for the name of the game.

• Like 3

Telling how it is excessive verbis

I really love the QuickStart title. Clean, highly legible with a lovely Norse Rune vibe going, and a couple of actual Gloranthan runes thrown in for extra flavour.

I was really hoping, after all the Call of Cthulhu title text is also clean and classy.

Simon Hibbs

Check out the Runequest Glorantha Wiki for RQ links and resources. Any updates or contributions welcome!

2 hours ago, David Scott said:

Isn't that a primitive document format (PDF), you know the one that uses adobe reader?  Maybe it would be best to get a Mostali Earth Reader to go along with that though, I don't think the Kindle Firerune Reader would work.

• Like 1

--

Doorkeeper to cats.

Well the logo must be hot stuff at present - I have been responding via phone, and just realised I am posting in two separate threads about the same issue, heh heh

This must be what the Media refers to as a 'trending' topic. One day we will look back and say "Where were you during the Logo Crisis?" 

:D

Edited by Mankcam
  • Like 1

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

7 minutes ago, Yelm's Light said:

Ah, the old Frazetta fascination.  After all, what's a hero without a scantily-clad woman kneeling at his feet?

ummm... gay?

Cos ya GOTTA know any self-respecting straight hero stops by Gor on his way to model for his cover-shoot ...

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

On 15/08/2017 at 2:47 AM, SDLeary said:

reminds me too much of Mongoose.

a number of people said the same thing, I couldn't recall the Mongoose one in detail, so I made a pictorial list of all the English speaking versions I could remember:

https://basicroleplaying.org/topic/6651-runequest-logos/

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

7 hours ago, g33k said:

ummm... gay?

Cos ya GOTTA know any self-respecting straight hero stops by Gor on his way to model for his cover-shoot ...

What about a gay hero?  Would he (or she) have a crouching nude same-gender sex object at their feet?

8 hours ago, Mankcam said:

This must be what the Media refers to as a 'trending' topic. One day we will look back and say "Where were you during the Logo Crisis?" 

Logogate.  I believe the president will tweet "Chaosium has released new logo. SAD."

• Like 2

2 hours ago, styopa said:

What about a gay hero?  Would he (or she) have a crouching nude same-gender sex object at their feet?

Ummm...  I think it's gotta be "scantily-clad."  Cos "gender-inequality" otherwise, right?  We're talking equal-opportunity objectification here!  Also:  family game; no nudity!

But it's the bisexual heroes we gotta envy, 'cos they get TWO scantily-clad hotties.

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

The discussion on logo is quite funny actually and very similar to the system/rules discussions. On one side we have the players/GMs who are longing for RQ2 and would like the new edition to be actually RQ2 with a bit more background. And on the other side you have the people who wants something a bit different as if they wanted to play RQ2, they could as it was reprinted recently. 

I don't care much about the logo personally. Much more interested by the actual content. 

I don't think the discussion around the logo is an old school/new school thing. The way I see it, and why I care, is because I hope Chaosium will be successful in attracting more and more people in the fold. A good branding and good communication around RQ and Glorantha can mean more success, which lead to more revenue that can turn into more and better RQ and Glorantha content. And ultimately I assume that's what most of us are hoping for.

• Like 4

Do you really believe the logo is that important nowadays?

30 years ago, people were buying I guess based on the logo and the front cover. So I would have said yes, it was vital. Those days, with internet, people document themselves before buying anything. You can actually see a lot of small companies successfully editing games through KS where the layout/format is actually atrocious, but the concept is excellent, and people buy it.

just my 2 cents anyway. 

I would agree this is less critical nowadays, and in the grand scheme of things far less important than the content. But it's one component of the brand, amongst others, that will be used to communicate/promote the game. As we (I at least) are not yet aware of the other elements that will be used (launch event/video? cover and interior art? video series on the rules, the setting, actual plays...) that's the one we are commenting about :)

46 minutes ago, Balakatun said:

I don't think the discussion around the logo is an old school/new school thing. The way I see it, and why I care, is because I hope Chaosium will be successful in attracting more and more people in the fold. A good branding and good communication around RQ and Glorantha can mean more success, which lead to more revenue that can turn into more and better RQ and Glorantha content. And ultimately I assume that's what most of us are hoping for.

Primarily, I agree:  my #1 interest in the new text/title/logo thing is that it grab people's wallets (reaching in through their eyeballs).  Or is that imagery to Cthulhionic for Glorantha?

Secondarily, I think something that gets the grognards who recall RQ2 / RQ3 -- but somehow have missed the last few years or RQ/BRP/d100 resurgence -- to spot this on FLGS shelves and go "WTF-oh-HELL-yeah!!!" ... I think that is something worth having.

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

49 minutes ago, g33k said:
6 hours ago, Balakatun said:

Primarily, I agree:  my #1 interest in the new text/title/logo thing is that it grab people's wallets (reaching in through their eyeballs).  Or is that imagery to Cthulhionic for Glorantha?

Secondarily, I think something that gets the grognards who recall RQ2 / RQ3 -- but somehow have missed the last few years or RQ/BRP/d100 resurgence -- to spot this on FLGS shelves and go "WTF-oh-HELL-yeah!!!" ... I think that is something worth having.

Lots of comments and lots of odd associations to Grognards for some reason. The point that seems to be missing in a lot of this rhetoric is that if you have created great content and have access to a great artist's imagery and want to evoke a desire to delve into a product, then your logo should also be something evocative of your brand. That's basic sales. Not grognardism. 

GodsWarTitleShadow (1).png

DenOBar.png

Thieves Adari 4.png

HW.png

rqlogowhite.jpg

Gods G.png

back of cults.png

newRQlogoTemp.png

rq new logoX.png

Say no to censorship

• "Did he say he was a Rune Lord or that he knew one?"
  • "Go, and never darken my towels again."
  • "Ach Crimmens! Ye smited me...ye craven. Worra, worra. What would me Mum say?"

And nostalgia be damned but don't flush a fanbase or shortshift a new fanbase with a so so logo.

Sometimes less is more.

RQnextlogo2.png

Edited by Sayerson
meh
  • Like 3

Say no to censorship

• "Did he say he was a Rune Lord or that he knew one?"
  • "Go, and never darken my towels again."
  • "Ach Crimmens! Ye smited me...ye craven. Worra, worra. What would me Mum say?"