New RQ Design Note #18 - New Logo

MOB

Catching sight of the new logo on twitter, it does read well on small thumbnail images which is a sign of strong design. The simplification from viewing the logo from a distance without all the details favours this new design I think. Despite my reservations (mostly due to associations with the mongoose logo, with the stone surround and embossed font) I can see that this logo may have its own unique merit. It could be a grower #logogate

Edited by Paid a bod yn dwp

17 hours ago, DSC1978 said:

Do you really believe the logo is that important nowadays?

30 years ago, people were buying I guess based on the logo and the front cover. So I would have said yes, it was vital. Those days, with internet, people document themselves before buying anything. You can actually see a lot of small companies successfully editing games through KS where the layout/format is actually atrocious, but the concept is excellent, and people buy it.

just my 2 cents anyway. 

It may be less important, but it's not unimportant!

FLGS's are still a thing.  People browse there, and often enough they buy.  Eyecandy matters in that context, if only because the buyer is planning to get just one new game, and is choosing between a shortlist of a few.  We are less-rational creatures than we think we are!

Maybe MOST buyers are buying for themselves, do pre-research, and buy more on reviews/comments/etc online (and often from Amazon or another cheap online source).  But every Christmas, here in the States, FLGS's get a bunch of non-gamers who come into the store saying "my nephew is into these role-games like dragons and dungeons... I'm looking for something he'd like..."   And a trickle of the same for birthdays/etc throughout the year.  And if the retailer has any sense, they will show the non-gamer one-to-three games that all have a lot of eye-appeal; content isn't going to sell those!

• Like 2

C'es ne pas un .sig

18 hours ago, DSC1978 said:

Do you really believe the logo is that important nowadays?

Somebody does.  Professional logo design starts at $200 and the sky's the limit.

This monstrosity cost $625,000:

Logo of the 2012 London Olympics - Most Expensive Logo Designs

This cost $280,000:

Logo of the City of Belfast - Most Expensive Logo Designs

Then again, some pretty good ones were free: (Nike's was $35 in 1971)

coke1-300x168.jpgGoogle logo

https://www.simpliowebstudio.com/most-expensive-logo-designs/

2 minutes ago, Mugen said:

Do we know what it means ?

I do ...

The top one is RuneQuest, the bottom one is RQ, I am a man of very little imagination.

2 minutes ago, Mugen said:

It would be horrible that these words were actually "dungeons" and "dragons" and put it on RuneQuest...

Would I do that to you?

• Like 2

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

On 14/8/2017 at 2:47 AM, MOB said:

New logo, etc...

I must say that I do not like the new logo very much. It's fat and caramel-like. It reminds me of the D&D3/d20 era and a little bit of the RQ Mongoose era.

That said this is not very important to me. Judging from the RQ Quickstart, the rules are truly excellent, and I will certainly NOT be deterred from buying the new  edition by a so-so logo.

35 minutes ago, Atgxtg said:

I doubt anybody is going to say, "Gee it's a really good game, but I'm not going to play it because I just don't like the logo."

Yeah; but that's not the point.  YOU are gonna buy RQG.  And I am gonna buy RQG.  I venture to say that almost everybody in this thread is gonna buy RQG (except for the Chaosium folk, who will Comp themselves copies...) .

But there are a few "likely" scenarios where a good logo makes a difference:

• The existing RQ player who notices a new-to-them RQ book on the shelves because it has a logo they notice (so, something that stands out, when displayed alongside other RPG logos).  This has happened to me, BTW, with other game-lines I liked but wasn't closely-following:  I learned of a new title when it hit the FLGS shelves.
  • The "I'm just browsing" gamer, who picks up an unfamiliar title because it grabs their attention (so, something that stands out, when displayed alongside other RPG logos).
  • "Uncle Joe" the muggle, shopping for their gamer-nephew, whose selection criteria is probably 90% based on the cover (so, something that stands out, when displayed alongside other RPG logos).

Hmmm.... maybe there's a pattern here...  :D

• Like 2

C'es ne pas un .sig

Oh, I agree the logo can make a bit of a difference to somebody unfamiliar with a RPG, and I also don;t find the new logo all that appealing. That said, I'd much rather have a great RPG with a yucky logo than a yucky RPG with a great logo.

Or, to put it another way- if the logo is the worse thing about the new RQ them we are in very good shape. 

• Like 2

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

I honestly thought this logo was just a mock up and they hadn't settled on anything concrete. I admit I haven't read the whole thread, maybe this is done or close to done.

I think it looks like the Mongoose Crapfest's (MRQ1: btw I really like MRQ2 and RQ6, they are not the same as the first Mongoose game...not that I need to state that to the Kool Aid drinkers in this thread...and have to admit that MRQ1 was cool for the SRD) logo redesigned by a big fan of the Lord of the Rings films about ten or fifteen years ago. Looks a lot like (someone already mentioned) the 3rd party d20 stuff from the 3.0/3.5 era of Dungeons and Dragons. 

It's not an abomination, but it's not much of anything more than the word "Runequest" in LOTR font with a couple Photoshop canned filters thrown over it.

• Like 1

121/420

I have never played RuneQuest, I have no nostalgia for anything specific. I find this logo unappealing, and it feels very late 90's/early 2000's in design.

As has been mentioned in thread, perhaps changing the letter coloring to red would make it pop a little bit more. I'm curious what that would look like.

Edited by Jigawatts

1 hour ago, Pentallion said:

Eurmal wants to know why his Discord rune didn't make the cut, but that boring old stasis rune did?

Jeff just mentioned in the other thread that he expects people will "play it as written" - maybe stasis is appropriate?

Or

eurmal_by_blackyinkin-d8mz7t8.png

:)

EDIT: that's a lot bigger Eurmal than I intended.

Edited by styopa
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, styopa said:

:)

EDIT: that's a lot bigger Eurmal than I intended.

Looks like just about the right size.   Hopefully a lot of the stuff not mentioned so far has been play tested by more than fan boys and newbs. 

Guess we'll see come November ish. My group is still 50% interested in new scenarios more than they are with the rule previews so far but we'll see as above.

Say no to censorship

• "Did he say he was a Rune Lord or that he knew one?"
  • "Go, and never darken my towels again."
  • "Ach Crimmens! Ye smited me...ye craven. Worra, worra. What would me Mum say?"