RuneQuest Logos...

David Scott

"It reminds me of x's logo because it contains the same letters"... 

I couldn't remember, so

59948a167a5f3_01CHA.png.2f1912a8eca99227d9c49335c72efcaf.png

59948a1d7bd9e_02CHA.png.98e0c93d7b99d1319eed69c78caa269a.png

5995513bacecf_03aGW.png.96839bf4eb1cf502c29c4418e3d592b4.png

59948a211c640_03AH.png.ec359c179caf6fe90aaa9a5b9385530b.png

59948a2424cbc_04GW.png.9a0e24e095867df824a9e3926bd10872.png

AH.png.8244d60717a01dbbf950321c59ea1b48.png

59948a266e8d9_05MG.png.7e1b24912feecd43e9cb1438e24052f1.png

59948a2c572e8_06MG.png.e734dfc865f4d9f4c6cfa0a82ea97b59.png

59948a324c312_07DM.png.64be4a32dc348a747b90e24480af2395.png

59948a3667b5e_08CHA.png.9f216e6f86183d18b400cf27296c2a13.png

59948a3dc8c31_09CHA.png.3aaf04923cbce23f940b3ba7c224bdbc.png

Edited by David Scott
added GW 2nd ed, slayers.
  • Like 2

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

The one I remember the best is the Games Workshop RQII title, not present, since that was my introduction to the game.

The original Louse Perrin title is gorgeous of course, but to my surprise the RQ3 title holds up very well. Those two strips of runes balance the composition really nicely.

I still like the QuickStart title though. It pushes all the right buttons for me. It's clean and elegant and the Norse rune styling is really well done. Apart from the obvious I love the 'q', even without the little truth rune it's a very well executed callout to the Odal rune. I would have expected the T to be slightly pointed like the Tiwaz Rune, but think the artist made the right choice in the end. Doing that would probably spoil the outline of the composition.

I'd like to see how well that logo works in bronze.

Simon Hibbs

Edited by simonh

Check out the Runequest Glorantha Wiki for RQ links and resources. Any updates or contributions welcome!

My favourites have bee RQ2 and DM RQ6.. but the RQG Quickstart was very good, perhaps a 'rune border' at the bottom would have made it even better

The new one isnt too bad, I'ld rank it as a reasonable runner up, but a quick make-over is necessary for it to get higher points.

All that is really needed is to put it on a blood red backround and it will look much better, that will do the trick rather nicely. Or make it look 'bronzed', thats a cool suggestion as well

This is starting to be like those sites that list the decade's top hair styles etc  (groan!)

Now I read that there was a short lived non-Chaosium version of RuneQuest that had nothing to do with Glorantha or even the BRP/D100 system...its logo should be up there with Runescape. etc

Perhaps throw in TitanQuest and Munchkin Quest while we're at it, just to keep all this silliness going until the next big topic shows up 

O1/1D4 SAN loss, lol

Edited by Mankcam

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

4 hours ago, simonh said:

The one I remember the best is the Games Workshop RQII title, not present, since that was my introduction to the game.

The original Louse Perrin title is gorgeous of course, but to my surprise the RQ3 title holds up very well. Those two strips of runes balance the composition really nicely.

I still like the QuickStart title though. It pushes all the right buttons for me. It's clean and elegant and the Norse rune styling is really well done. Apart from the obvious I love the 'q', even without the little truth rune it's a very well executed callout to the Odal rune. I would have expected the T to be slightly pointed like the Tiwaz Rune, but think the artist made the right choice in the end. Doing that would probably spoil the outline of the composition.

I'd like to see how well that logo works in bronze.

Simon Hibbs

Agreed, I like that one as a "new one" best.

7 hours ago, David Scott said:

59948a3dc8c31_09CHA.png.3aaf04923cbce23f940b3ba7c224bdbc.png

I know what it is about the new logo that bugs me - it's too Lord of the Rings-y.  The small caps are almost certainly the Aniron font which is a replication of the font used in the front and end credits of Peter Jackson's "The Lord Of The Rings" trilogy.  Here's the letters "une" and "uest".  Pretty sure it's the same.  The upper case "R" and "Q" I'm not so sure about.  

On the other hand that might have a subconscious appeal to prospective new enthusiasts.

screenshot_122.jpg

• Like 1

--

Doorkeeper to cats.

The new RQG logo really isn't too far from the embossed logo on the old RQ2 hardcover ( under the dust jacket). This font was also a bit 'Tolkieny', and I think the if the new RQG logo is altered to have gold letters on a red background then this may evoke some familarity with RQ2.

Even the more recent RQ2 reprint (RQ Classic, hardcover with dust jacket) had a similar logo on the book itself.

Keeping the new logo against a grey stone background just feels a bit like MRQ1 or Legend for some reason.

Here is the old RQ2 hardcover without its iconic dust jacket art

images.jpg

Edited by Mankcam
  • Like 1

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

2 hours ago, Septimus Kendaro said:

I know what it is about the new logo that bugs me - it's too Lord of the Rings-y.  The small caps are almost certainly the Aniron font which is a replication of the font used in the front and end credits of Peter Jackson's "The Lord Of The Rings" trilogy.  Here's the letters "une" and "uest".  Pretty sure it's the same.  The upper case "R" and "Q" I'm not so sure about.  

On the other hand that might have a subconscious appeal to prospective new enthusiasts.

screenshot_122.jpg

Yes, very close. Probably a high end version where someone has used alternate caps (an open type version perhaps)

SDLeary

Back to the QS logo, but make the rune inside the "Q" Movement instead of Truth (kudo's to DesignMechanism there!), and scatter 6-10 other runes around the "R".

edit:  I just realized that the new QS logo with all-straight-lines (esp. the enclosing "Q") may have caused them to pick Truth.

Edited by g33k
  • Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

11 hours ago, simonh said:

I don't know how I missed that Simon. For me it was my second edition, but undoubtably the most used. The ready ref sheets glued into the centre were a fail though.

Added.

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

Look at the "u" of the new logo, for example, which other logo does it most resemble on that list? I'm a bit disappointed in the generic-looking new logo, but if that's the least good thing about the new RQ, then I won't be disappointed overall!

Yeah, that new logo is far too busy; embossed bronze on embossed stone, with a very modern looking underline straight out of OSX. The sizing on the letters is all over the place, the N particularly is far too wide compared to the other letters, and the E & S too small. It feels very cramped.

Mostly, as others have said, it's just very generic. I liked the simplicity of the QS logo, especially coming as it did after the very busy logos of the Post-RQ3 era (though the DM version is rather elegant, and I love how it harks back to the RQ1 logo). I'm not sure why Chaosium decided to redo the logo between the QS and RQG: they are the same rules iteration, but they don't look like they are, due to such a drastic logo change.

the AH RQIII logo resonates most with me, as it was when I first got into Glorantha. Yes, it's also quite cramped, but the lightness of the line weight leavens it (something which GW happily screwed on their version. What were they thinking?).

I really love the "Book of Kels"-ness of the original logos, it gives a sense of archaism which set it apart from other games of the period. Of the 2 I prefer the BW version, as it has some touches lost when they redid it in colour. Kudos to DM for the call back to it on RQ6.

Edited by Dogboy
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Mankcam said:

The new RQG logo really isn't too far from the embossed logo on the old RQ2 hardcover ( under the dust jacket). This font was also a bit 'Tolkieny', and I think the if the new RQG logo is altered to have gold letters on a red background then this may evoke some familarity with RQ2.

Even the more recent RQ2 reprint (RQ Classic, hardcover with dust jacket) had a similar logo on the book itself.

Keeping the new logo against a grey stone background just feels a bit like MRQ1 or Legend for some reason.

images.jpg

Was that actually original, or the recent re-release?  If it's an old one, I'm amazed: I didn't even KNOW there was a hardcover version originally.

I think what people are commenting is the embossed stone and typefaces in the new one feels overused although, TBH, I checked EverQuest, EQ2, Runescape, even Lineage, Evony, and LotRO and it's not used in their logos.  It IS quite clearly almost exactly ELVISH lettering from LotR.(http://lotr.wikia.com/wiki/Elvish_languages). (Look at the N, the E, the U, the S, and the T, for example I'd strongly recommend at the very least - if this is what you're going with - you make at least SOME effort to change the typeface a little more generally from that.  Only the R and Q are substantially distinct.

The quickstart logo was striking because it was very much unique.  I'd disagree with the folks that feel it's too overtly 'Norse'; so what?  While we're no longer aping historical IRL cultures, it doesn't mean we need to run from them, either.  I doubt *anyone* would look at the QS cover and say 'oh, that must be a game about Vikings'.

It was striking, and quite different than the LotR-simulacrum logo here.  The point of a brand logo is to 1) make a statement, and 2) remain in the mind, become iconic.  I think the QS did that far better.

• Like 1

I can't say that I'm particularly satisfied with any of the logos.  The original ones look too fanzine-ish, and the AH ones are generic and bland.  I'm not even sure where the Ghost Rider flame-logo comes from, but no, just no.  I keep wanting to read the QS logo as 'RuneyQuest.'  I don't think the logo needs to include runes, either.

Of all of them, if forced to choose with no other option, I'd go with the Mongoose 'Runequest II' font, without runes.  Runner-up is the new one.

Edited by Yelm's Light
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, styopa said:

Was that actually original, or the recent re-release?  If it's an old one, I'm amazed: I didn't even KNOW there was a hardcover version originally.

It's been around since at least 1984, when I bought it to replace my well-thumbed first softbound copy.  The copyright dates in it end at 1980, so there's at most a four-year window for its release.  I still have it, as a matter of fact.  I believe the dust jacket was the same cover as the softbound version with the Luise art, but mine fell by the wayside years ago.

9 hours ago, Mankcam said:

images.jpg

Good point.  That font is a variety of American Uncial which is a classic font to be sure.

19 minutes ago, styopa said:

I think what people are commenting is the embossed stone and typefaces in the new one feels overused although, TBH, I checked EverQuest, EQ2, Runescape, even Lineage, Evony, and LotRO and it's not used in their logos.  It IS quite clearly almost exactly ELVISH lettering from LotR.(http://lotr.wikia.com/wiki/Elvish_languages). (Look at the N, the E, the U, the S, and the T, for example I'd strongly recommend at the very least - if this is what you're going with - you make at least SOME effort to change the typeface a little more generally from that.  Only the R and Q are substantially distinct.

The quickstart logo was striking because it was very much unique.  I'd disagree with the folks that feel it's too overtly 'Norse'; so what?  While we're no longer aping historical IRL cultures, it doesn't mean we need to run from them, either.  I doubt *anyone* would look at the QS cover and say 'oh, that must be a game about Vikings'.

It was striking, and quite different than the LotR-simulacrum logo here.  The point of a brand logo is to 1) make a statement, and 2) remain in the mind, become iconic.  I think the QS did that far better.

Yes, the font is Aniron which is based on the LotR DVD end credits.  See this very long url for details.  There is no known commercial release and the design was created by the artists Sacha Winter and Alan Lee while the Aniron font was created by Pete Klassen based on those designs.  It's been adjusted somewhat, the 't' descends below the line, the kerning adjusted, etc. The R/Q look familiar to me but I can't quite place them though they are similar to Forgotten Uncial, Carolingia, Bilbo Display but it eludes me.  Perhaps they are custom created additions for Aniron.

Thinking about logos on games I realized I just don't care that much.  The cover image if far more important to me and what's inside even more so.  If this logo helps attract a new generation of players by being somewhat familiar then I'm all for it.

• Like 4

--

Doorkeeper to cats.

18 minutes ago, Septimus Kendaro said:

Thinking about logos on games I realized I just don't care that much.  The cover image if far more important to me and what's inside even more so.  If this logo helps attract a new generation of players by being somewhat familiar then I'm all for it.

Yep - well said.

More then anything I'm looking to be dazzled with the cover art. I've really enjoyed the quality of art work we've seen so far. High praise to Andrey Festov. 

32 minutes ago, Septimus Kendaro said:

Though I agree with you, I worry that it won't integrate well with art. Honestly, I'm likely not the target audience, and my artistic sensibilities may be outdated.

2 hours ago, styopa said:

I think that's the "Reston Publishing" edition.  AFAIK, it was a straight-up printing of Chaosium's RQ2 (not even incorporating known errata).

fwiw -- https://index.rpg.net/display-covers.phtml?mainid=500

Edited by g33k
added Big Purple's collection of covers, RQ's 1-3

C'es ne pas un .sig

2 hours ago, Yelm's Light said:

I can't say that I'm particularly satisfied with any of the logos.  The original ones look too fanzine-ish, and the AH ones are generic and bland.  I'm not even sure where the Ghost Rider flame-logo comes from, but no, just no.  I keep wanting to read the QS logo as 'RuneyQuest.'  I don't think the logo needs to include runes, either.

Of all of them, if forced to choose with no other option, I'd go with the Mongoose 'Runequest II' font, without runes.  Runner-up is the new one.

I have to say "Ghost Rider Flame logo" is the best name I've heard, anyway.

2 hours ago, Yelm's Light said:

It's been around since at least 1984, when I bought it to replace my well-thumbed first softbound copy.  The copyright dates in it end at 1980, so there's at most a four-year window for its release.  I still have it, as a matter of fact.  I believe the dust jacket was the same cover as the softbound version with the Luise art, but mine fell by the wayside years ago.

Wow.  Nice collectible.  /envy

1 hour ago, Septimus Kendaro said:

Of course, we have to recognize we're talking about what seems to be essentially minutiae.  

Nevertheless - particularly when we're talking about a new rules set which is supposed to (we all hope) re-invigorate a nearly-moribund franchise and launch a brave new era for the game and for Chaosium - I don't think it's irrelevant to opine that the logo/trademark that's going to adorn scores of products, hopefully for YEARS, should be striking, novel, memorable, and carry a brand identification strongly?  Branding is pretty important.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, styopa said:

Of course, we have to recognize we're talking about what seems to be essentially minutiae.  

Nevertheless - particularly when we're talking about a new rules set which is supposed to (we all hope) re-invigorate a nearly-moribund franchise and launch a brave new era for the game and for Chaosium - I don't think it's irrelevant to opine that the logo/trademark that's going to adorn scores of products, hopefully for YEARS, should be striking, novel, memorable, and carry a brand identification strongly?  Branding is pretty important.

Yeah, I agree, I just don't personally care what it looks like for me.  I do in the sense you're talking about though.  

Looking at all the RuneQuest logos the only one I think I really like is the Quickstart one.  Of course I have fond and nostalgic memories of the original logo that 12 year old me first say, and even for RQ3's cover and ITC Benguiat font based logo but the original just won't cut it in today's market and RQ3's while crisp and clean seem almost too plain for the slick products of today. 

I wonder if Chaosium did any focus group or A/B testing.  Maybe we're the focus group, though it would probably be good to get the opinions of less invested folks.

• Like 1

--

Doorkeeper to cats.

6 hours ago, Yelm's Light said:

I'm not even sure where the Ghost Rider flame-logo comes from

Runequest slayers from Avalon Hill.

Of more interest to me is why the q became capitalised in RQ3. I wonder how the new logo would look with a lowercased q?

-----