Passions?

Tywyll

Has anyone converted the Passions system to BRP? I'm interested in using it for an upcoming fantasy game, but as written in Pendragon it doesn't quite work.

I've been toying with this idea, and here is what I've come up with so far...

[WARNING... this is not on paper, so I'm pulling this out of... well you get the idea.]

Passions are a percentage (of course).

Passions can be used to augment skills (as can Traits if you use them) at the rate of 1/10th percentage provided the player can convince the GM that the passion is valid in the situation.

The player may choose to roll the passion to become Inspired. A success yields a +40%, a critical +60% for the chosen skill. If the character fails in the task that they were Inspired for, then they suffer shock... 1d3 SAN loss.

If they fail their inspiration roll, then they become Disheartened... 1d6 SAN loss.

If they fumble their roll, they are Maddened... 1d10 SAN loss.

Because of the nature of the shocks, I would also adjust the Short and Long Temporary tables, but haven't done anything there yet.

SDLeary

Yes, I've tried it. This is what I use (a bit like SDLeary's), and it seems to work OK:

Players can choose one or two Passions/Traits for their character. They work as a percentage like any other skill (base = CHA%).

If they can convince the GM it applies in a situation (e.g. Bravery would have to be combat against something that outsized/outclassed them), they get a roll. Success gives double chance for one roll of a related skill (i.e. it becomes Easy). Failure gives no penalty. (Limiting factor: they can't roll a 'Trait-skill' which already has an increase tick).

Britain has been infiltrated by soviet agents to the highest levels. They control the BBC, the main political party leaderships, NHS & local council executives, much of the police, most newspapers and the utility companies. Of course the EU is theirs, through-and-through. And they are among us - a pervasive evil, like Stasi.

What about losing passions?

Without some sort of off screen time mechanic, like Pendragon Winter Phases, I'm not really sure how to handle this. Time and distance, not having to interact with object of said passion. This would be a GM/Player interaction type thing, of course.

Perhaps if the SAN loss actually causes Temporary Insanity, one of the effects would be to lower the Passion. Kind of a hardening against the person/thing that they perceive harmed them.

SDLeary

What about losing passions?

I don't like to do it, much preferring carrot to stick, but for particularly blatant bad examples (such as, recently, a mage supposedly "Enquiring" and "Dynamic" persistently failing to look at a clue/book intruding into his dreams) I do have a mechanism:

The GM can award "anti-ticks" for grossly anti-trait actions. If not cancelled-out by a normal tick by the next time increases are checked, it must be rolled-for. Failing the 'increase' roll will cause a decrease (d6, or whatever, as per normal increase). (Making higher traits/passions harder to keep up, but relatively soft on lower ones).

Edited by frogspawner

Britain has been infiltrated by soviet agents to the highest levels. They control the BBC, the main political party leaderships, NHS & local council executives, much of the police, most newspapers and the utility companies. Of course the EU is theirs, through-and-through. And they are among us - a pervasive evil, like Stasi.