Sign in to follow this  
MOB

Statement about Horrors of War Kickstarter

The Horrors of War Kickstarter: A Covenant with Death is a Kickstarter launched by Scott Glancy of Pagan Publishing in August 2014. A collection of Call of Cthulhu scenarios set during the nightmare of the Great War, 1914-1918, it raised USD$26,823 from 525 backers.

The campaign had an estimated delivery date of February 2015, but is as yet unfulfilled. There has been understandable growing dissatisfaction among backers, that was compounded by a lack of communication by Scott. 

However, just before Gen Con 2017, Scott posted a new backer update. In it, he apologised for his recent poor responsiveness and gave a frank and candid recounting of various personal/family issues that have hampered his ability to complete the project. He offered a refund to any backer that wanted one, but expressed his desire to finish Horrors of War. Scott gave Gen Con 2018 as the new completion date. 

Chaosium met with Scott at Gen Con and discussed the Horrors of War license. We have confidence Scott can deliver on this project in the revised time frame he has put forward, and that he will give backers timely updates about progress until it is done.

For these reasons, we have been persuaded to keep the Horrors of War license active.

https://www.chaosium.com/blog/statement-about-horrors-of-war-kickstarter

screen-shot-2017-08-31-at-9.16.43-pm.png

Edited by MOB
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Regardless of what one may think of the situation with this project, what Scott wrote took a whole hell of a lot of guts. Best of luck to him getting well and moving forward; depression is a SOB. 

• Like 4

Updated statement about Horrors of War Kickstarter (May 21, 2018)

Adam Scott Glancy has recently been in touch with Chaosium about his Horrors of War Kickstarter. As we previously updated (Aug 31, 2017), when we met last year he gave Gen Con 2018 as the date for completion, but has now informed us he will miss that deadline. However, he says he will offer backers a subsidiary product at that time.

Chaosium has advised Mr Glancy his Call of Cthulhu license for Horrors of War will expire on December 31st, 2018. By that date it will have been more than four years since the Kickstarter funded (Sept 30, 2014). Permission to use our trademark, logos and all related intellectual property will be withdrawn if the Kickstarter is not fulfilled by that date. 

We have reiterated to Mr Glancy that he needs to keep backers informed through regular updates, even if no significant progress has been made.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Adam Scott Glancy has again failed to keep his promise to the backers and to Chaosium. He has not sent an update since November when he promised to send refunds by the end of the month. It is now 1/8/2019 and I have not received any response to my request for a refund. I’m not the only one that has posted a refund request and not have received a refund or message. 

This isn’t about the money it’s about the backing someone that I have lost all respect for.  I will not purchase anything that he has written for any company.

10 hours ago, Mindstar said:

Adam Scott Glancy has again failed to keep his promise to the backers and to Chaosium. He has not sent an update since November when he promised to send refunds by the end of the month. It is now 1/8/2019 and I have not received any response to my request for a refund. I’m not the only one that has posted a refund request and not have received a refund or message. 

This isn’t about the money it’s about the backing someone that I have lost all respect for.  I will not purchase anything that he has written for any company.

Please note, Chaosium extended Adam Scott Glacy's Horrors of War license for six months. He announced this in his last update on the Horrors of War Kickstarter page:

We have forwarded your above comment on to him, and suggested he get in touch directly with you (and with others who are awaiting a reply).

6 hours ago, MOB said:

He announced this in his last update on the Horrors of War Kickstarter page:

Interesting: he's going to use all his own scenarios, and might be converting the project to 7th Edition Call of Cthulhu. This actually sounds like a positive develop to me. I understand frustration from backers over delays... but that ('Curse of Cthulhu') seems to happen with all the CoC related projects I've seen (and really most KS projects in general). Plus: Scott has always been a prolific writer, a stand-up guy, and an icon in the industry. I myself would still back his projects without hesitation. Same for Chaosium projects. I just wouldn't go in with timeline expectations.

Edited by mvincent

I understand the delays with KS (i have backed 130 projects) but 4 years for scenarios that were described in the campaign summary “ are written and play tested.” Goes beyond any acceptable delays. The last update was November 5th. I also don’t consider this to fall into regular updates. 

• Like 2

On 1/9/2019 at 1:02 PM, mvincent said:

Interesting: he's going to use all his own scenarios, and might be converting the project to 7th Edition Call of Cthulhu. This actually sounds like a positive develop to me. I understand frustration from backers over delays... but that ('Curse of Cthulhu') seems to happen with all the CoC related projects I've seen (and really most KS projects in general). Plus: Scott has always been a prolific writer, a stand-up guy, and an icon in the industry. I myself would still back his projects without hesitation. Same for Chaosium projects. I just wouldn't go in with timeline expectations.

I couldn't disagree more with this statement. I have backed many projects and seen the delays that you are talking about. Most projects get delayed by just a few months. This is understandable and there are frequently detailed descriptions for the delays. This is different, and it absolutely amazes me the extent to which people will make concessions for Creators that show nothing but contempt for fans. Years is unacceptable. Communication matters. Action matters. I don't care how prolific, stand-up, or iconic someone is in ANY profession. Reputations take years to build and moments to ruin. And the only reason that people engage in behavior like this is because people enable them. This goes for Sentinel Hill Press and the disaster that is The Dare Kickstarter as well.

You don't make promises you can't keep in a reasonable time frame.  End of story.

Edited by klecser
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, klecser said:

I couldn't disagree more with this statement. I have backed many projects and seen the delays that you are talking about. Most projects get delayed by just a few months.

You are a lucky person: of the 80+ Kickstarters I've backed, a year delay seemed about average ('just a few months' wouldn't even register as a delay to me when it comes to Kickstarters). And when it comes to Cthulhu stuff: I expect even more drama. Chaosium's 7e delays didn't bother me, and I envied those that backed the HotOE Kickstarter (once I learned it was going to be 7e), as I ultimately paid over twice as much as they did. I certainly acknowledge your feelings as valid though, too.

• Like 1

On 1/10/2019 at 1:24 PM, klecser said:

I couldn't disagree more with this statement. I have backed many projects and seen the delays that you are talking about. Most projects get delayed by just a few months. This is understandable and there are frequently detailed descriptions for the delays. This is different, and it absolutely amazes me the extent to which people will make concessions for Creators that show nothing but contempt for fans. Years is unacceptable. Communication matters. Action matters. I don't care how prolific, stand-up, or iconic someone is in ANY profession. Reputations take years to build and moments to ruin. And the only reason that people engage in behavior like this is because people enable them. This goes for Sentinel Hill Press and the disaster that is The Dare Kickstarter as well.

You don't make promises you can't keep in a reasonable time frame.  End of story.

I'm not a backer, and I haven't read the update(s) provided, but one thing caught my attention:

On 8/31/2017 at 7:43 AM, DMarcel said:

... what Scott wrote took a whole hell of a lot of guts. Best of luck to him getting well and moving forward; depression is a SOB. 

Yeah, this.

Depression can be as disabling as a heart attack or a stroke; there is no "contempt" involved (more likely is anguish & despair).  I have seen over half my family -- and several close friends -- struggle with depression.  It's a horrible, horrible thing.  I'm glad he seems to be making progress on fulfilling obligations to his backers on KS (and, I presume, other obligations in his life).  That's a real win-win:  the backers get their stuff & he gets to climb out of that black hole of depression.

I have been going through depression for the last several years due to a divorce and back surgery that did not relieve the pain(before anyone considers having back surgery read the book Crooked by Cathryn Jakobson Ramin) but I still go to work and do my job. Glancy took on other jobs despite being paid upfront to produce Horrors of War. If he feels that he is not capable of completing the job then refund the money to the backers who requested a refund. On November 11th he stated that he would refund our money by the end of the month. No refund has been received by myself or many of the backers who posted comments on the KS page.  That was his last update.

20 hours ago, g33k said:

I'm not a backer, and I haven't read the update(s) provided, but one thing caught my attention:

Yeah, this.

Depression can be as disabling as a heart attack or a stroke; there is no "contempt" involved (more likely is anguish & despair).  I have seen over half my family -- and several close friends -- struggle with depression.  It's a horrible, horrible thing.  I'm glad he seems to be making progress on fulfilling obligations to his backers on KS (and, I presume, other obligations in his life).  That's a real win-win:  the backers get their stuff & he gets to climb out of that black hole of depression.

My wife has depression. Given her struggles, she never would have promised someone something that she wasn't sure she could deliver on.  This is not about being successful or not.  It is about making promises you can't keep.