Statement about Horrors of War Kickstarter

MOB

36 minutes ago, umlauthuth said:

So, let's say you're handed the responsibility for fulfilling the Dare KS. What do you do?

That's SHP's job. It isn't my job in this situation to coach him on scheduling priorities. This isn't me saying I could do it better. Note that I'm not the one who started a Kickstarter. I haven't started one for a reason. I'm saying that the job isn't getting done. SHP did start a Kickstarter. Which kind of implies that he'll work to finish it on a reasonable timeline. I don't consider it to be a radical proposition to ask the professional to do the professional job. SHP seems to really struggle with accepting criticism gracefully.

It's honestly incredible to me the extent that people will go to in order to defend this lack of accountability. We are 18 plus months out on a one-shot adventure when the bulk of the text has been done for the majority of that time. 

Edited by klecser

15 hours ago, umlauthuth said:

And I'm trying to gracefully introduce you to the idea that when wrangling a bunch of freelance artists eighteen months is well within a reasonable timeframe. 

And  he is merely trying to hold the business he invested in accountable. As an investor, you have the right and even the responsibility to verify the status of your investment and to ask for updates and explanations of delays.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gundamentalist said:

So why are you calling out SHP in a thread about Horrors of War? If it matters to you why isn't there a separate thread?

Maybe because the struggles that CoC Kickstarters have had seems pretty on topic in a thread about one that failed? Better than clogging up the board with more threads? I can think of some reasons. You may not LIKE those reasons, but that is a separate issue. I'm thinking that Board etiquette isn't the real reason why you commented.

4 hours ago, Vitae Drinker said:

And  he is merely trying to hold the business he invested in accountable. As an investor, you have the right and even the responsibility to verify the status of your investment and to ask for updates and explanations of delays.

A Kickstarter project is not an IPO, nor do the backers of a KS own shares in a gaming company. That’s good for you, because otherwise you’d have to sell off your KS backing at a loss instead of getting the full refund available to you.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, klecser said:

I'm thinking that Board etiquette isn't the real reason why you commented.

That's correct, you are damning SHP by association by talking about their KS in a thread about another KS. If you want to muddy the waters that's the way to go about it.

Adam Crossingham
Publisher & Editor-in-Chief | Sixtystone Press Limited

[Chaosium Hat on]

Regarding The Dare, we are aware that this project has been significantly delayed (though nothing like Horrors of War). However, SHP has been diligently keeping their backers in the loop with regular updates - even when there is not much to report - which I'm sure everyone will agree is better than radio silence and should be appreciated.

SHP has been transparent about the various issues and challenges they have to complete the project in their updates, and we at Chaosium are confident they will be able to work through them and deliver an excellent product.

[Mod Hat on]

If anyone wishes to continue discussing stuff about projects unrelated to The Horrors of War Kickstarter, please do so in a new/different thread (nb there is an existing thread about The Dare).

Horrors of War Kickstarter - statement from Chaosium and Adam Scott Glancy

After discussing the current state of the Horrors of War Kickstarter, Chaosium and Adam Scott Glancy have decided on the best path forward for the project. Over the past few years, Chaosium has extended the license for the Kickstarter several times, but the license has now expired. We've all agreed to let that situation stand. While Scott has made significant progress on the project and it looks to be moving toward completion, the completion date is not yet fixed. Instead of extending the license again, Chaosium has agreed to review Horrors of War when it is complete, with a new license available at that point. This leaves open the possibility that Horrors of War will be the project originally promised backers, but alleviates some pressure on Scott and allows him to fully focus on getting the project across the finish line. Scott and Chaosium reached this decision amicably and all lines of communication remain open. Chaosium will continue to provide information and advice to Scott on the Horrors of War project in whatever ways he finds helpful. We all want to see Scott's hard work and the backers' patience rewarded with the best book possible, as soon as possible.Scott will be updating his backers regularly, and all questions about the Horrors of War project should be directed to him through the link here: 

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/460966263/horrors-of-war-a-convenant-with-death/creator_bio

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

@MOB - Thanks for the reply. An overall disappointing state of affairs, but it is understandable why Chaosium would not want their name associated with this project.

My partner (whose day job is as a graphic designer in the publishing industry) and I actually approached Adam Scott Glancy at Gen Con 2017 and offered to help him out with layout and/or proofreading. The project was noticeably faltering even back then. I know other backers have extended similar acts of kindness and support to Adam Scott Glancy to get his project back on track.

I'm echoing what has been said elsewhere, but on a human level, my sympathies go out to people who have experienced loss and/or turmoil in their lives. Adam Scott Glancy seems like a nice guy. However, I find it upsetting to read updates on his involvement with another project (Delta Green). Bridges have been burnt.

11 hours ago, exposednegative said:

However, I find it upsetting to read updates on his involvement with another project (Delta Green). Bridges have been burnt.

Just...wow. He's working with Arc Dream?They're working with him?

We are living in a time in which people are seeing what they can get away with. And until the fanbase holds these authors/companies accountable, I fear that poorly run Kickstarters are going to continue.

Update as I dig: He's heavily involved with Actual Plays too? All while his Backers have had their money stolen. What the actual heck? I can't speak for other industries, but in mine, if anyone pulled anything even remotely close to this, we would run you completely out of relevancy. We have zero tolerance for shysters. 

Edited by klecser