Our Last RQ Session

soltakss

We had the weirdest RQ session last week. I don't normally share these, but this was so unusual, I thought I'd make an exception. Reader discretion is advised, people with a weak disposition might not want to read further ...

The PCs are River Voices who are in Dorastor to gain knowledge of Arkat, in order to decide whether to help him return to fight the Lunar Empire, or to stop him from returning.

Previously, the PCs went to Dorasta's Cleft, where they met a Broo guarding the door. Flargle, a Storm Bull hero, took exception to this and killed him with a massive ligtning bolt. When he entered the Cleft, the High Priestess denounced him as a Despoiler of the Earth, as he had killed a Guardian of Dorastor. It turned out that Ralzakark, as Husband-Protector of Dorasta, fathered a broo child on her every year, the broo grew to adulthood in a single day and serves as a Guardian for a year, whereupon he is sacrificed and the cylce continues. As recompense, Flargle offered to father a child on Dorasta himself, to act as a Guardian. The resulting rhino-headed man was immediately called Bruno, as he was not a broo, and was born fuly-formed with two axes.

Later, the PCs went to Fort Wrath and were introduced to Ralzakark, who greeted them as fellow Heroes. After a whilel they decided to tel him what had happened, in order to defuse the situation. They decided not to go down the "Hello, my name is Flargle, I killed your son, prepare to die" route and simply decided to tell Ralzakark what had happened. He was not particularly upset, byt demanded recompense, so Flargle either had to under go the Seven Strikes of Ikadz the Torturer (The first punished the person, the second his parents, the third his grand-parents and so on, our Ancestor Worshipper was truly appalled by this prospect), the second choice was to replace the child that Ralzakark had lost by Flargle bearing Ralzakark's child.

Now, comes last week's session. I expected Flargle to take the punishment, but to Sever his ties to his kin, as he was a Hero of Humakt, but they decided to take the bearing of Ralzakark's child, to my surprise.

Mello Yello, one of the PCs, was a Light Son with the ability Vomit Acid, taken from Cacodemon on a HeroQuest. He filled up his gold helmet and passed it to Flargle.

Flargle is a SIZ 22 Copper Man, General of Tada's Copper Army, who gained Immunity to Acid in the same fight against Cacodemon. He "filled himself up" with the acid, by having it poured into his back passage, simply because he thought it would hurt Ralzakark. When the deed started, ralzakark suffered some discomfort, but manfully carried on. When the deed was done, Flargle used his Move Wound heroic ability to move the Chaos Wound caused by the impending broo foetus to the nearest location, which he determined to be Ralzakark's abdomen. As he was a Hero and had moved a wound to another creature in the past, I allowed it but said the roll had better be a good one. An 01 later, Ralzakark withdrew, not knowing that he was now bearing his own child. Shan Agar, a shaman of many abilities, used Second Mouth on Flargle, to chop off Ralzakark's offending member, using Admantine teeth. Flargle was full of broo-churned acid, so the withdrawl caused explosive diarrhoea that covered Ralzakark. Shan Argar used her Tarien's Fire to set the resulting diarrhoea alight, resulting in Ralzakark being horribly burned, specificaly to burn away his fertility.

Most of the weirdness was caused by the players discussing the various options and how they should work. Should Mello Yello transfer acid mouth-to-backside or using a receptacle? When should Flargle use the second mouth, on entry or withdrawl? Many other conversations of increasingly yucky content.

I have to say, I was pretty surprised at how thing turned out and that this was purely player-led. All I had to do was to sit back and let it happen.

Edited by soltakss
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

50 minutes ago, Zit said:

Very broo-ish, it perfectly suits to Dorastor. And a very successful game : led by very inventive players enjoying the game with the GM as spectator. Perfect.

That's what I thought.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

2 hours ago, Runeblogger said:

What will happen in next session? :lol:

Well, they left a Storm Bull army in Hellwood, so they might get to find out what happened to it. At some point, Ralzakark will send people after them, but they might find unlikely allies amongst the people of Dorastor.

• Like 1

On 9/10/2017 at 6:03 PM, Runeblogger said:

What will happen in next session? :lol:

They lightning bolted Ralzakark's genitals, or what was left of them, as a parting shot and flew away. Then they spent the rest of the session planning what they would do in future.

That is the nature of our current campaign - Three or four sessions of careful planning, then a session of stunning action, rinse and repeat.

This account reminds me of a story/account I have been trying to track down.

Years ago I read an account of some experienced RQ people attending a competition game at a convention and pretending they had never played RQ before.  They freaked out their opponents at the start by asking about iron weapons (which their characters didn't actually have).

They played a group of broo and "broke" the scenario by sacrificing one of their own to summon the demon in the lake instead of taking the expected path of eventually capturing an opponent and sacrificing them.

Does anyone have a link to that account?

Thanks 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mechashef said:

This account reminds me of a story/account I have been trying to track down.

Years ago I read an account of some experienced RQ people attending a competition game at a convention and pretending they had never played RQ before.  They freaked out their opponents at the start by asking about iron weapons (which their characters didn't actually have).

They played a group of broo and "broke" the scenario by sacrificing one of their own to summon the demon in the lake instead of taking the expected path of eventually capturing an opponent and sacrificing them.

Does anyone have a link to that account?

Thanks 

Aye - Unfortunately, I couldn't make the convention, can't remember why, but Andrew and Stuart came back and told us about it in great detail. I would have loved to have been able to join them and taken part.It sounded like exactly the sort of thing I would have revelled in.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Our last session concerned the fate of Dorasta, the goddess.

In my Glorantha, Dorasta was cursed by Arkat to make her infertile, punishing her for aiding Nysalor, the curse consisting of breaking her, salting her lands and taking away her fertility. Ralzakark circumvented the curse by becoming her Husband Protector, see above, and by making her not breed true, so that each generation of plants would be different, then would die, so the curse couldn't take hold. So, Dorastor blooms with plants that produce other plants as offspring. As part of the Curse, Arkat had cut awy the fertility, so nobody could remember what Dorasta's Plant/Crop/Fruit was.

The PCs decided that enough was enough, so they tried to help Dorasta. They used Harmony to put her into a peaceful state, then took her back to the Green Age, where they had been before and could return from, to just after when she was born (I know that this might officially be the Golden Age, but Genert seems more of a Green Age chap to me). They then moved her through the Green Age, so that when her Plant/Crop/Fruit appeared, they could recognise it and bring it back to Dorastor. Dorasta became heavily pregnant, as big as a house, so the PCs prepared to help deliver the baby, when a wound appeared in her belly, cutting her from side to side. Shan Agar use the Void in her eye to look through the cut, to see a Mistress Race Troll dressed in iron, cutting Dorasta's belly. Recognising the god as Arkat, the PCs didn't panic but instead went into action mode, Mello Yello used Yelm's Mirror to dazzle Arkat, Flargle used the new-found ability to transfer a foetus to move it to Shan Agar, the only female PC in the party, Shan Agar accepted the ferility as a Master of Earth and Karim moved everyone from the Green Age back to the Mundane Plane, as he can come and go from the Green Age at will. Shan Agar immediately started to go into labour, but used the power she had gained from having carried Genert's Member and turned into a man and impregnated Dorasta, transferring the child/fertility powers to Dorasta, allowing her to give birth to the child, which turned out to be a very long, thick tuber, enough to feed a family for a week.

It was a good example of the PCs using Hero Abilities they had gained in the past in new and imaginative ways, building on what they had previously done. An obscenely large number of 01s didn't hurt either. :(

• Like 1

On 16/09/2017 at 8:10 PM, soltakss said:

That is the nature of our current campaign - Three or four sessions of careful planning, then a session of stunning action, rinse and repeat.

Sounds like our CoC campaign. Except we die :-(