Reign of Terror - Corrections Thread

Mike M

Got the zip-file for Reign of Terror from Bits and Mortar a while back. And I was recently looking through the updated Investigator-PDF that it contained. Saw that the Investigators had been updated, compared to the Investigator-PDF that is available for Reign of Terror at Chaosiums website. Found that one of the Characters is now missing its Ideology/Beliefs section, which made me look through them and found some things for the errata.

So the following errata is for Reign of Terror, but the errata for Pages 120 - 123, is for both the PDF of Reign of Terror as well as the extra Investigator-PDF. (This errata also applies to the printed book.)

Page 101 - Websites - The second to last website link is incorrectly formatted and the second row of it, is instead connected to the last website link.

Page 120 - Thierry Renault - Characteristics and Attributes at the top - SAN and HP isn’t aligned correctly, and should be moved a little to the left.

Page 120 - Thierry Renault - Combat - After ”Pistol, Flintlock*” there is the following: ”(Í2)”, which I’m guessing should be removed?

Page 121 - Michel Beaumains - Characteristics and Attributes at the top - SAN isn’t aligned correctly, and should be moved a little to the left.

Page 121 - Michel Beaumains - Backstory - The ”Ideology/Beliefs” part is missing from this character. I’m thinking it was removed by mistake when the PDF was updated back in October of 2017?

Because the older and outdated version of the Investigator-PDF, has an ”Ideology/Beliefs” entry for this character. That PDF is still available at Chaosium website and can be downloaded from where you buy the Hardback or PDF of Reign of Terror. (https://www.chaosium.com/content/FreePDFs/CoC/CHA23149 - Reign of Terror/CHA23149 - Reign of Terror - Investigators.pdf)

Page 122 - Jean Dupois - Characteristics and Attributes at the top - SAN isn’t aligned correctly, and should be moved a little to the left.

Page 123 - Christophe Presse - Characteristics and Attributes at the top - SAN and HP isn’t aligned correctly, and should be moved a little to the left.

Page 123 - Christophe Presse - Comrades - This has been reported before, but there is a extra sixth bullet point at the end, that should be removed.

Edited by Elder Thing

• 3 years later...

I am loving this supplement and am about to run the first scenario. Bravo on this excellent work. However, I have a couple of questions if anyone can help:

1. In the overview Paris Map on pp. 50-51, there is a dotted line that is not identified by any key, etc. that proceeds through the streets, past a few of the marked adventure points of interest (like locations 8, 14, 13, and across the Seine past locations 3, 12, 18, etc.), but it also, like, surrounds the Ile de la Cite, etc., as if it's marking districts. But it doesn't seem to be marking out the arrondisements or faubourgs, etc., as it then proceeds out of town along the roads. Can somone tell me what that is supposed to indicate, or if I am missing something point me to where in the text it is explained? At first I thought it marked the wall of the ferme-generale, like the excerpted blow-up mini-map, and then maybe arrondisements, but it seems different. I also thought it might be intended to mark the Investigators likely paths through the city from one numbered adventure location to another, but it doesn't seem to be quite that, either. 
  2. On p. 93, in the stats for the Proto-vampires, following the parenthetical following each ability number is the figure: "Í5," with an accent aigu. Can someone tell me what that was intended to indicate? Or if I am missing something, kindly point me to what it supposed to correspond? 
  3. This is probably based on some historical data, and I really have no idea about such stuff, but I was surprised to see a flintlock pistol doing less damage (1d6+1) than a saber or rapier (1d8+1+STR damage bonus). I've read such pistols were wildly innacurate beyond their very short, effective range, but if one was hit within its short range wouldn't the physical trauma and kinetic shock of a large caliber flintlock pistol ball be at least as damaging as a saber slash? The military pistols I've seen pictures of from the period look like long suckers that I was thinking would pack a wallop if they hit their mark.

Again, I'm so impressed by this wonderful scenario. I can't wait to run it.

Brent

Hi,

2 - this is a layout-formatting issue, the "Í5" should read "x5"

3 - note that if a flintlock pistol scores an Extreme success (impales), it's damage enough to deal a mortal wound or death in most cases. There are also game balance considerations, including the fact they are temperamental weapons. 

1 - I'm double checking on this.

Thanks

20 hours ago, Mike M said:

Hi,

3 - note that if a flintlock pistol scores an Extreme success (impales), it's damage enough to deal a mortal wound or death in most cases. There are also game balance considerations, including the fact they are temperamental weapons. 

Thanks

Thank you very much. I am having so much fun reading and preparing to run these great adventures. It’s such excellent work. 

9 hours ago, Gaunilo said:

Thank you very much. I am having so much fun reading and preparing to run these great adventures. It’s such excellent work. 

On 4/5/2021 at 4:19 AM, Mike M said:

Hi,

Thanks

BTW, any word from the creative crew on this one you might be able to share as to any further materials in the works for this setting? So many possibilities. Maybe I'll try to create something for the Miskatonic Repository....

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/5/2021 at 2:12 AM, Gaunilo said:

1. In the overview Paris Map on pp. 50-51, there is a dotted line that is not identified by any key, etc. that proceeds through the streets, past a few of the marked adventure points of interest (like locations 8, 14, 13, and across the Seine past locations 3, 12, 18, etc.), but it also, like, surrounds the Ile de la Cite, etc., as if it's marking districts. But it doesn't seem to be marking out the arrondisements or faubourgs, etc., as it then proceeds out of town along the roads. Can somone tell me what that is supposed to indicate, or if I am missing something point me to where in the text it is explained? At first I thought it marked the wall of the ferme-generale, like the excerpted blow-up mini-map, and then maybe arrondisements, but it seems different. I also thought it might be intended to mark the Investigators likely paths through the city from one numbered adventure location to another, but it doesn't seem to be quite that, either. 

Brent

Hi - I've checked, and the dotted lines indicate Faubourgs -  a French term approximating suburb (now banlieue)- thus the suburbs of Paris. 

• Thanks 2

On 4/20/2021 at 9:06 AM, Mike M said:

Hi - I've checked, and the dotted lines indicate Faubourgs -  a French term approximating suburb (now banlieue)- thus the suburbs of Paris. 

Oh, oh!! I see! Wow, thank you very much for your time with this. I feel a bit stupid now, but I just could not find the answer on my own despite some digging, and I was losing SAN. Very much appreciated.

Btw, I did also some geek-reading on the Charleville military pistols in use in the relevant period here, and I also now totally see the wisdom of the 1D6 damage rating. I should learn never to doubt Chaosium. No one produces higher quality work. Thank you again.

1 minute ago, Gaunilo said:

Oh, oh!! I see! Wow, thank you very much for your time with this. I feel a bit stupid now, but I just could not find the answer on my own despite some digging, and I was losing SAN. Very much appreciated.

Btw, I did also some geek-reading on the Charleville military pistols in use in the relevant period here, and I also now totally see the wisdom of the 1D6 damage rating. I should learn never to doubt Chaosium. No one produces higher quality work. Thank you again.

Looks like I mistook how the contemporary faubourgs were situated. Now I see it. Ugh. Thanks again.

• 3 months later...

*UPDATE (1 Oct. 21): After working with Roll20 support, all of the issues listed below are now resolved. Some were simply due to my own stupidity and Roll20 "greenness"; others Roll20 has now fixed.*

____

A few additional nits I thought I should report -- this time all Roll20 related, just as an fyi.

I'm presently migrating my ongoing RoT game to Roll20 and have discovered that the Roll20 character sheets for both the pregen investigators and for important NPCs (like Comte Fenalik's footmen -- who represent some of the primary potential physical combatants for the PCs) in several instances do not accurately reflect or calculate attacks and damage per the CoC 7e rules.

For example, in several places firearms are not listed as impaling weapons (like Sgt. Renault's pistol, which also incorrectly lists its damage as 1d6 rather than 1d6+1 in my copy), and certain physical weapons do not reflect full or half damage bonuses like the footmen's whip, which is listed without noting its +1/2 DB damage bonus (and I also could not seem to get it to accurately calculate damage even after I manually set the "Damage Bonus: Full/Half/None" drop-down to "Half"). The footmen's whip also does not reflect that weapon's 10 ft. reach, and while the footmen's sheets properly list their equipment to include cudgels, as per the printed adventure, the sheets do not then include cudgel as a weapon in the rollable weapon attacks section, so that one has to input it as an additional attack and fiddle, etc.

Of most concern, though, is that the impaling max damage calculations on the Roll20 sheets do not seem to differentiate between the CoC rules' different manner of tabulating impaling vs. non-impaling weapons on an extreme success. The Roll20 sheets seemed to only allow one to input a single total max damage for an impale in either case, without reflecting that for firearms it is actually max damage once plus an additional, random, roll, and without reflecting the physical damage bonus for non-impaling weapons. Even after trying to adjust all of this manually, it seemed to me many of the damage calculations for both unarmed, physical, and firearm attacks still were wrong despite my best efforts. 

All of this basically means that, for the moment, attacks are not reliably rollable from the PC or NPC character sheets, at least for this adventure (the convenience of which I assume is why many folks buy products in the Roll20 format). This is a relatively new adventure on Roll20, so I'm assuming that may be why. I also am very new to Roll20, so it's also possible I'm just being stupid, but I don't think so. I have emailed Roll20 about the issue, but I just thought I would flag it for Chaosium so any oversights or lack of attention to this on Roll20's part don't unfairly tarnish Chaosium's always-excellent work and rep.

Oh, and one last side kvetch that also really has nothing to do with Chaosium directly: I noticed after paying up for Roll20 that Fantasy Grounds' CoC products include a handy chase tool as part of their combat tracker that automatically shows the various participants' positions, the hazards/barriers, ranges for attacks during the chase, etc. all per CoC 7e's chase system. Roll20 has nothing like that as far as I can tell. I know this is not Chaosium's responsibility or wheelhouse, but it would be nice, I thought, and facilitate additional Chaosium Roll20 sales and interest in Chaosium products in general, if Chaosium could encourage Roll20 to do include  something similar.

Thanks again to all for excellent work.

Edited by Gaunilo