SPQR?

Tywyll

See, I guess my concern, from reading the website is that it's not even active any more (no updates as of 2004).

If I have BRP, what updates/additions does it give to make it worth $25? I did notice the advantage/flaw system, which is kinda cool, but contained within the free chapter.

What would it add to my BRP game, I guess is my question? How does it deviate from other versions of BRP?

Steve is the original designer of the D100 system. When everything hinted at the fact that d100 was dead (save he fact that it was not, but it took a real seer to know that), he designed his own evolution of the system he had created. Many of his ideas are great, but I think SPQR should now be matched with the new BRP and updated. My advice is to save your $25 for the moment Steve has done this.

But my guess is that this is not the last time we hear Steve Perrin's name connected to the d100 system.

Proud member of the Evil CompetitionTM

Boy,

The tone used (*seemingly*, anyways, as there *is* to detectable tone in an internet posted bit of copy, but you know what I mean...) makes it seem like Steve is some sort of cloustered genius shut up in a lab in some mountaintop lair, who, like King Arthur, will someday return to make everything better.... LOL!

Having interacted with Steve via email on occasion over the last several year, AFAICT (can tell), he's a normal, easily accessible guy who is a regular, contributing member of the RQ Rules kist (you guys've *heard* of Runequest, right?), and posts reqularly.

Personally, I think BRP people *here* should definately join the RQ Rules list to either broaden their horizons, or at least to not have to re-invent the wheel, ruleswise, as, if you're bashing out a rule for something not covered in the BRP rules, chances are good that its already been invented and can be found in old school RQ (anti-matter grenades and the like not withstanding).

Best,

-Ken-

"We are going to eat like budget-minded Kings...Diet Chicken Bars, Compostina, Scrunch!"

[Andy French---Mission Hill]

Oops! A minute or two ago I said:

>Boy,

>The tone used (*seemingly*, anyways, as there *is* to detectable tone >in an internet posted bit of copy, but you know what I mean...)

What I *meant* was "there *is* NO detectable tone"

Sorry for the fumblefingers LP

Best,

-Ken-

The tone used (*seemingly*, anyways, as there *is* to detectable tone in an internet posted bit of copy, but you know what I mean...) makes it seem like Steve is some sort of cloustered genius shut up in a lab in some mountaintop lair, who, like King Arthur, will someday return to make everything better.... LOL!

What, you mean he isn't?

Having interacted with Steve via email on occasion over the last several year, AFAICT (can tell), he's a normal, easily accessible guy who is a regular, contributing member of the RQ Rules kist (you guys've *heard* of Runequest, right?), and posts reqularly.

He is very approachable and ran a Steeleye campaign based on the songs of Steeleye Span, which makes him a good guy in my book.

He's not always right, though. :)

Personally, I think BRP people *here* should definately join the RQ Rules list to either broaden their horizons, or at least to not have to re-invent the wheel, ruleswise, as, if you're bashing out a rule for something not covered in the BRP rules, chances are good that its already been invented and can be found in old school RQ (anti-matter grenades and the like not withstanding).

Definitely.

Not to broaden horizons, though, but a lot of stuff has been discussed over the years and they sometimes reach a consensus, disregarding the wild-eyed loonies who sometimes get a voice.

Different Worlds, I think, had the Thermonuclear Hand Grenade years and years ago. Just as good as the Anti-Matter Hand Grenade, but you thought about pulling the pin then chickened out.

Good in combination with a Teleport, though.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here. 

The tone used (*seemingly*, anyways, as there *is* to detectable tone in an internet posted bit of copy, but you know what I mean...)

I never listen to tone, only to actual points. However, using stars like *this* instead of CAPITAL constitutes a tone. So please when you complain about a tone, avoid using stars. Thank you.

(you guys've *heard* of Runequest, right?)

I can recall something called RuneQuest. Thank you, sincerely, for reminding it to me.

I have been a regular attendee of the RQ Rules list for a long time. I have participated in the MRQ playtest discussion and been very sad when Matt Sprange did not incorporate Steve's Degree of Success system in MRQ - I really liked it. But not all good ideas are appreciated.

But the point here is that there is no reason to uphold discussion lists about old versions of the same system. The RQ list had a reason to exist when RQ was out of print and a beloved collector's item. It is no longer. Like it or not, BRP is the rightful heir to old RQ. .P.E.R.I.O.D.

(and yes, here i am purposefully using a *TONE*)

But the point here is that there is no reason to uphold discussion lists about old versions of the same system. The RQ list had a reason to exist when RQ was out of print and a beloved collector's item. It is no longer. Like it or not, BRP is the rightful heir to old RQ. .P.E.R.I.O.D.

(and yes, here i am purposefully using a *TONE*)

That might be true if the RQ3 magic systems existed in BRP. They don't. As long as that's true, its not a true replacement for RQ, as you cannot emulate a campaign run with one with the other.

That might be true if the RQ3 magic systems existed in BRP. They don't. As long as that's true, its not a true replacement for RQ, as you cannot emulate a campaign run with one with the other.

I am working on it. The first conversion list is at Alephtar Games, in the Glorantha section.

Of course you also need Mongoose RuneQuest (at least the SRD) for the spell descriptions. But MRQ is also a descendant of RQ/d100, although it is less similar to old RQ than BRP, so it is worth having it.

I am working on it. The first conversion list is at Alephtar Games, in the Glorantha section.

Of course you also need Mongoose RuneQuest (at least the SRD) for the spell descriptions. But MRQ is also a descendant of RQ/d100, although it is less similar to old RQ than BRP, so it is worth having it.

I wasn't refering to the Mongoose RQ. I'm simply noting that as long as the RQ3 magic systems don't exist in an official product, there's a perfectly good reason to still be talking about prior versions of RQ (and honestly, even if it does there is for versions that are significantly different; the RQ list might be focused on RQ3, but it also talks about RQ1 and RQ2 from time to time, as there _are_ significant differences.)

Basically, new editions do not make discussion focused on prior editions irrelevant, unless its one's policy that every rule in every edition upgrade is, by necessity, an improvement.

-Sigh!- Again.....

Listen, there is no reason to stop talking about previous versions of RQ or SB or CoC or whatever-d100-system-you-like. There are countless lists for this. I am still playing in two RQ3 campaigns and we have not converted them to anything else (yet...).

However, RQ3 can no longer evolve, become better or see new adventures published for it: it is now unsupported. BRP is supported, instead, and if something is discussed here about BRP and a sensible proposal is made, chances are it will appear in an official errata (this is already happening) or in future supplements for BRP. Isn't this a good reason to prefer talking about these subjects here and not on some nostalgic list?

-Sigh!- Again.....

Listen, there is no reason to stop talking about previous versions of RQ or SB or CoC or whatever-d100-system-you-like. There are countless lists for this. I am still playing in two RQ3 campaigns and we have not converted them to anything else (yet...).

However, RQ3 can no longer evolve, become better or see new adventures published for it: it is now unsupported. BRP is supported, instead, and if something is discussed here about BRP and a sensible proposal is made, chances are it will appear in an official errata (this is already happening) or in future supplements for BRP. Isn't this a good reason to prefer talking about these subjects here and not on some nostalgic list?

The problem with that is that a lot of the mechanical features of RQ are optional rules in BRP, or don't exist at all. So if I want to talk about tweaking or modifying those, which place is liable to have more people who are both familiar with and experienced with those mechanics?

As an example, if want to talk about hit locations on here, I have to deal with the fact I need to filter out all the people who don't know them, don't know them well enough to have more than abstract opinion, actively dislike them, and more. In an RQ list I'll probably have a smaller preportion of the last, and very few of the first two.

Focus matters sometimes. If someone wants to talk extensively about the practical issues with the Sanity mechanic, are they going to get more useful response on here or a dedicated CoC forum? I'd care to suggest the latter.

That doesn't mean this site serves no purpose; there are any number of topics you'd almost certainly get better response on here for any number of reasons, but to be really blunt, if I want to talk about divine/rune magic, I'd expect to get more useful responses on the "nostalgia" list.

• 2 weeks later...