RD100 for Fantasy Grounds (alpha)

RosenMcStern

Please follow the link below to download the alpha version of the Revolution D100 ruleset and Revolution D100 SRD documentation module for Fantasy Grounds.

http://www.alephtargames.com/revolution-d100/fg/RevolutionD100.pak

http://www.alephtargames.com/revolution-d100/fg/RD100-SRD.mod

It is an alpha version, so not all functionalities are present and there is little or no online help. And no installer yet. But it is already enough to play. All feedback welcome.

The above files will remain free (or PWYW at most), while supplements might end up released as commercial products on the Smiteworks Shop and other venues.

Even if Fantasy Grounds is a paid software application, you can still have a free look at the ruleset with the demo version. It will allow you to toy with the ruleset and play over LAN.

Edited by RosenMcStern
Fixed links
  • Like 1

Proud member of the Evil CompetitionTM

Another heads up. The directory structure in the PAK file is a bit of a problem. To get it working, the contents under "RevolutionD100" folder in the PAK file need to be moved to the root of the archive; i.e. move everything up one level and delete/disregard the RevolitionD100 folder.

EDIT: same goes for the MOD file with the SRD

Edited by Nick J.

First Impressions:

This looks like a really nice start, and as someone who has spent more than a trivial amount of time trying to hack at the BRP ruleset for Fantasy Grounds, I can tell a lot of work has gone into this. Hats off to you or the coder that worked on it. I just encountered a couple of minor bugs, but no show-stoppers -- just did a few things like play around with character creation, etc. no combat or anything major.

• Like 1

I did not follow the software developer's #1 rule: "Always test the exact same artefact that you deliver". :)

Files fixed, there was also an issue with the PAK extension being capitalised, at least on my Windows 10 installation. It should work out of the box now.

What bugs did you encounter, Nick? We are more than willing to fix everything as soon as it is reported.

Next release will focus on usability, and have online instructions about the most important automated features.

Hi Rosen, when I equip or unequip a weapon on my character sheet, I get some error messages:

Script Error: [string "campaign/scripts/weapons.lua"]:31: attempt to index local 'sr' (a nil value)
Ruleset Warning: window: Anchored static width ignored for control (token) in windowclass (weapon_line)
Ruleset Warning: window: Anchored static width ignored for control (token) in windowclass (weapon_line)

Otherwise this is great! I already like it very much. I have not figured out how to enable Advanced Combat, or how it should work, but I guess I have to give it more time.

Currently the Combat Tracker is tracking 'Normal' Conflicts, right?

Found it! How clever is that!? Simple left-click on the top left symbol in the Combat Tracker to change the Type of Conflict: Non-violent Conflict, Basic Combat and Advanced Combat. This is awesome, thanks a lot! :)

Edited by pansophy
Found the different types of Conflicts in the Combat Tracker

18 hours ago, RosenMcStern said:

I did not follow the software developer's #1 rule: "Always test the exact same artefact that you deliver". :)

Files fixed, there was also an issue with the PAK extension being capitalised, at least on my Windows 10 installation. It should work out of the box now.

What bugs did you encounter, Nick? We are more than willing to fix everything as soon as it is reported.

Next release will focus on usability, and have online instructions about the most important automated features.

I'm pretty sure the combat tracker threw up a script error when I opened it up. I just tried to replicate it and it didn't happen this time, so I'm not sure what changed. If I see anything else I'll try to remember to make a screen grab of the console error and report it.

Edited by Nick J.

One problem with the rules and FG:

If a character charges an other one, he would need to declare a non-combat Action. That is fine, except for the fact that the SR calculations will not fit any more. The cost is 5SR and it should automatically change the 'possible action' symbol for the character in the Combat Tracker to the 'Melee' symbol. That way all following actions will cost the weapon SR.

As it is, a character now declares a non-combat Opening Move, then charges the enemy, rolls the 'Action' symbol. Then he needs to change the 'Action' symbol to 'Melee' - but this costs an additional 5 SR, which is not correct (AFAIK). If he does not change the 'Action' symbol, all upcoming actions will deduct the wrong amount of SR (e.g. if using a shield, costing 2SR to defend).

On the 'receiving' end of the Charge action (read: the defending/preparing character) things are not 'smooth' either, but managable: the defending character declares a Close Combat Opening Move, reduces his SR by the Defense costs, and gets a Free Reaction. At the moment, the character will pay double the costs for Defense, except if the Reaction is rolled outside the Combat Tracker.

OK, I understand this is a very special case in the rule system, but I thought I would rise the question here. Maybe there is an easy workaround for all this, but I am not a FG guru ... ;) Maybe it can be resolved by using Effects?

9 hours ago, pansophy said:

Hi Rosen, when I equip or unequip a weapon on my character sheet, I get some error messages:

Script Error: [string "campaign/scripts/weapons.lua"]:31: attempt to index local 'sr' (a nil value)

Located. It was a "lousy programming error". Will be fixed in the next release. Do not worry for the warnings.

7 hours ago, pansophy said:

Hm, how would you track two separate non-violent Conflicts? One, the most important one, in the Combat Tracker. The secondary in a normal Notes window? Works. I was just wondering how else it would be possible. ;)

In most cases, separate conflicts run at the same time should be unified (Unity of Time and Place). The PCs will face two or more pools at the same time, and can choose to devote their attention to one pool or the other, depending on what they are actually doing. Just mark multiple pools in the CT and have people roll for effect or support as usual.

Separate Conflicts should be run only during Downtime (Unity of Action, no Unity of Time and Space) and are usually limited to enchanting or buying/crafting thing. They can usually be run sequentially.

2 hours ago, pansophy said:

If a character charges an other one, he would need to declare a non-combat Action. That is fine, except for the fact that the SR calculations will not fit any more. The cost is 5SR and it should automatically change the 'possible action' symbol for the character in the Combat Tracker to the 'Melee' symbol. That way all following actions will cost the weapon SR.

This is a gap in the rules rather than the FG ruleset. Technically, what you say here is not specified in the rules but a matter of common sense. In most cases a charge is the only action in a round, as the target will react and force you to spend SR to parry. Yet it may happen that you can attack again if you are fast.

I think we might add a sidebar in the next print run. And then add the option in FG.

Especially when a Charge costs only 5 SR, regardless of weapon-SR. Yes, only DEX is used as starting SR, but as you say, a fast character might be able to strike a few times.

Actually I found a rouge with high DEX and armed with a low-SR weapon and high skill, is a very dangerous enemy. This is not true for many other RPGs. That's what I like about the Advanced Combat in RD100. 

21 hours ago, RosenMcStern said:

Just mark multiple pools in the CT and have people roll for effect or support as usual

OK, that makes sense and I now get, why I can have a RP in the Advanced Combat Tracker. Sweet.

21 hours ago, RosenMcStern said:

a charge is the only action in a round, as the target will react and force you to spend SR to parry. Yet it may happen that you can attack again if you are fast.

Does this mean, a character would need to 'pay' 5 SR to change to  Melee actions after the charge? I understand the 5SR should only be paid, if the Initial Opening Move action is being changed. After the initial action, it does not matter what kind of actions a character does - right?

Oh, and one Bug: the Advanced Combat Tracker does not add the Reach value of NPC characters to the initial SR, when a new round starts and Opening Moves are 'clicked'. But maybe I am using the interface wrong LOL.

Also, does the Defense roll on the AdvCombTracker always cost 5 SR? I mean, it is difficult for the Program to figure out if I'll do a Block, a Parry or a Dodge - but a flat 5SR Deduction without any hint in the Chat Box seems a bit harsh ;) Maybe you can make the Actions a bit more 'chatty' in the Chat box by stating what weapon was used to attack or block.

I forgot to 'ready' the attack and defend weapon in the Combat Tracker - silly me. ;)

Edited by pansophy

5 hours ago, pansophy said:

OK, that makes sense and I now get, why I can have a RP in the Advanced Combat Tracker. Sweet.

No, in fact that one is for tracking Grapple, Poison or offensive spells (Parallel Conflicts).

Does this mean, a character would need to 'pay' 5 SR to change to  Melee actions after the charge? I understand the 5SR should only be paid, if the Initial Opening Move action is being changed. After the initial action, it does not matter what kind of actions a character does - right?

In theory, you should pay the 5 SR. In practice, that should be handled as a special case when you can opt to "switch" to Melee.

I forgot to 'ready' the attack and defend weapon in the Combat Tracker - silly me. ;)

The beta version will include a much better online help and more "chatty" messages.

Does the Combat Tracker always reduce the Reach value from the SR, when doing the Opening Move action? I think this is only correct for weapons with a special cost for the opening move, but not for every weapon.

It is behaving correctly, was an oversight on my end.

Edited by pansophy

The ruleset seems to do everything in Advanced Combat just fine - except handling 'Wait' and 'Charge' actions. As they are both 'Non-Combat' Opening Moves, maybe it is possible to add them as two additional buttons as actions in the Combat Tracker, if a character is selecting 'Non-Combat' as Opening Move?

Example for making a Charge Attack (*=new button):

• click Next Round in Combat Tracker
  • chose 'Non-Combat' as Opening move
  • move your character
  • roll the attack by clicking 'Charge attack*'
  • The Combat Tracker rolls the dice, deducts 5SR and switches to Melee mode

The difference to the current procedure: you would need to click on 'Melee' mode (after moving you character) in your character sheet (this deducts 5SR) and make the attack roll manually (outside the Combat Tracker).

Example for a 'Wait' re-/action (*=new button):

• click Next Round in Combat Tracker
  • chose 'Non-Combat' as Opening move
  • get a Free Action or Reaction Effect assigned to your character in the Combat Tracker by clicking the 'Action*' or 'Reaction*' button
  • the Combat Tracker changes to Melee mode
  • once the character wants to act, the corresponding Attack or Defense SR is being deducted from the character (this means the character is shown with the higher amount of SR in the Combat Tracker, until he actually acts)

Difference to current procedure: you would need to assign the Free Action to the character manually. Then change manually to Melee mode and correct the SR reduction by +5, only to roll for the action (which deducts the SR according to your action).

Edited by pansophy

Overall, a more chatty Combat Tracker Action dialogue would be great. I know you said you'll do that for the final release, so it's no worry.
I would love to see which Action I clicked and how many SR were reduced to which character, and what the action roll was - and which weapon/shield was used. That way it would be easy to correct any SR costs, if needed (or somebody clicked the wrong button). :)

Overall it is an impressive work you did to the ruleset. :o

Indeed, the ruleset is doing the following wrong:

The Combat Tracker always reduces the Reach value from the SR, when doing the first action of an Opening Move? I think this is only correct for weapons with a special cost for the opening move, but not for every weapon. It works fine for weapons with a Reach similar to the Attack SR cost, but for e.g. a Pole Axe (Reach 6, SR cost 12/6) the deduction is wrong (it reduces the Initial SR by 6, instead of 12).

While preparing a game, some ideas came up (I know you have lots on your plate, but I'm just spilling out ideas here and testing the rule set for bugs, to make RD100 the best FG2 ruleset ever :D ):

1) a tracker for Fate Points on the character sheet would be nice

2) when rolling dice, an 'Advantage' roll should be pointed out