Troll wind Lord.

Noita

4 hours ago, Iskallor said:

Just saw the great new 13th age picture.

Wow a Troll Wind Lord! Why would a Troll follow Orlanth? I want to play one now.

It's the troll's One Unique Thing.

“Each character should have one unique feature you invent for him or her when you create the character. Your one unique thing is an unusual trait that sets your character apart from every other hero. The moment when all the players sit down together with the GM to create their characters’ one unique thing is often the moment when a campaign comes to life.”

—p.31, 13th Age Core Rules.

I am not entirely sure what "why?" means here. Why there's a troll Wind Lord? Or why such a character is possible? Because I'd say it's quite easy to fit into the setting. This guy is a result of a Heroquest decision. An Orlanthi hero was performing the Orlanth and Aroka quest. When he met the Dark Woman and seduced her as he should, that was not actually the Dark Woman - it was a troll heroquester. What quest was she performing? Who knows! But she was there and after she returned from the Other World she bore a child. The child was a healthy Dark Troll, but he had the mark of the Storm God on him, and so he eventually became a Wind Lord. There, done!

• Like 5

On 26/09/2017 at 7:47 AM, Iskallor said:

Why would a Troll follow Orlanth?

The trolls of Dagori Inkarth are within the the influence of the Storm mountains, so it would seem natural that some would naturally be born with the air rune as dominant. In HeroQuest Glorantha terms it would just a case of picking Air instead of Darkness, but I think that's too simple. I think they have Air as their third Rune. @boztakang how are you approaching the rune spread of trolls. In RQG it will be the case that they have a high Air rune.

On 26/09/2017 at 8:05 AM, Joerg said:

Think of Hachrat Blowhard

Evidence of a previous orlanth following troll is not a reason why.

1 hour ago, Tindalos said:

In addition, Cults of Prax lists three percent of Praxian Trolls as worshipping Orlanth.

Personally I'd adjust this to 1% in light of the cult population number I've done for the Wastes.

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

@David Scott In my HQ formulation, trolls have three runes - Darkness, "Ancestor", and "Temperment" Storm is one of the Temperment runes. (So, in general the "third rune" as you surmised)

[Storm Rune]

Storm, Passion, Violence, Air (Umath)

You have an opinion on everything, and aren't afraid to voice it. Loudly. You express your emotions as freely as your opinions. You are passionate in Love and War, but never hold a grudge and are always willing to consider changed circumstances. You are confrontational, obnoxious, and flatulent -- yet, somehow, everyone is inclined to like you.

You will resist orders that you do not agree with, and are forgiving of failure in others. Leaders find you unreliable, and you attract followers who share that flaw.

Stormy trolls are attuned to the primordial Storm, and the element Air. They are boisterous and unruly, often getting into trouble, but always finding their way out again.

Normal Uz are not at all likely to become Wind Lords. However, 13G chars are quite explicitly not normal folk.

I can certainly see a "Windy" male troll managing to alienate his Mother/Wife and getting basically outlawed from troll society. In that case, he could easily seek refuge with the orlanthi, and prove himself useful enough to eventually rise to Wind Lord status. Any more traditional trolls in the party will make fun of him a lot, however.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, David Scott said:
On 26.9.2017 at 9:05 AM, Joerg said:

Think of Hachrat Blowhard

Evidence of a previous orlanth following troll is not a reason why.

No, but is a heroic example to follow, even if you as a troll usually wouldn't find any uz source giving you direction to join Orlanth.

And it proves that a troll hero of Orlanth doesn't have to be a unique thing, only a rare occurrance.

10 hours ago, Tindalos said:

In addition, Cults of Prax lists three percent of Praxian Trolls as worshipping Orlanth.

I wonder whether that means initiated to Orlanth and Kyger Litor, or whether that means worshipping Orlanth exclusively, or even Orlanth as husband of Ernalda.

There are no uz-human marriages on record - Kimantor was a Kitori shapeshifter, not an uz by descent.

Telling how it is excessive verbis

20 hours ago, Joerg said:

And it proves that a troll hero of Orlanth doesn't have to be a unique thing, only a rare occurrance.

13th Age has "One Unique Thing" as a called-out game concept.   As a GM, I'd allow duplicates in a historical context (like this) but not generalize that to "rare, but it happens" and the party might run into more.

If, as a GM, I have a player's "One Unique Thing" conflict with a campaign element I had planned, I'd either change my plans... or work with the player to change theirs.

20 hours ago, Joerg said:

There are no uz-human marriages on record - 

But Tusk-Riders.   :D       'Cos you already knew somebody would, didn't you?

C'es ne pas un .sig

On ‎26‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 7:47 AM, Iskallor said:

Just saw the great new 13th age picture.

Wow a Troll Wind Lord! Why would a Troll follow Orlanth? I want to play one now.

He wants to heroquest to show that Orlanth, in his final contest with Bright Emperor, only sent to the underworld Emperor's Shadow and not Bright Emperor himself. 

cut to Yelm stepping out of shower

"What?"

Says Yelm as Good Wife raises an eyebrow

fade to wonderhome

• Like 4

On 9/26/2017 at 7:47 AM, Iskallor said:

Trolls have always been able to join Orlanth. Trolls breathe, the same as humans.

Orlanth and Kyger Litor are hostile, which might cause cultural problems, but if a lone troll found a way past that then I wouldn't see a problem.

Hero Wars and HeroQuest tended to pigeonhole people, so all trolls behaved one way, all Orlanthi another. RuneQuest always had a freer approach, in my opinion. 13th Age in Glorantha has an even freer apprach.

Edited by soltakss

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

In response to Tindalos

David Scott wrote

Personally I'd adjust this to 1% in light of the cult population number I've done for the Wastes.

I have to say that I got used to being Gregged over the decades.  Greg is, after all, the creator of Glorantha.  Am I now to assume that we are to be Davided?  If so, by what authority?  Is it not more appropriate that David's cult population numbers for the Wastes be adjusted to match those of Greg?

12 hours ago, Jenx said:

How does HeroQuest pigeonhole people? Your troll can have the runes of Water, Death and Mastery, for all you care. He's going to be a weirdo, sure, but that's generally what heroes are anyway.

Now perhaps, but the Troll supplement for HeroQuest had no real way for trolls to belong to cults not in the Darkness Pantheon.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

3 hours ago, Ali the Helering said:

I have to say that I got used to being Gregged over the decades.  Greg is, after all, the creator of Glorantha.  Am I now to assume that we are to be Davided?  If so, by what authority?  Is it not more appropriate that David's cult population numbers for the Wastes be adjusted to match those of Greg?

I think David is working on a Prax supplement, so can put anything he wants into it. Also, David regularly posts on forums and does work for Moon Design/Chaosium, so definitely has the authority.

Anyone who doesn't like changes made by Greg/Jeff/David/Whoever should do what I do - Consider them and if I don't like them I ignore them.

By the way, if you ever get the chance to play in a HeroQuest game run by David, then do so, you'll enjoy it.

3% for Orlanth worshippers does seem high, 3% for the Storm Pantheon seems better, 3% for Storm/Earth Pantheon seems better still.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ali the Helering said:

Is it not more appropriate that David's cult population numbers for the Wastes be adjusted to match those of Greg?

As I said personally I’d adjust those numbers. As to what authority, basically none. The numbers aren’t published (yet) so it’s just an advisement based on the work I’ve already done. The Cults of Prax percentages are a great starting point for understanding how the Praxian tribes are made up. When I started writing material for Prax, @Jeff said I was to use Nomad Gods and Cults of Prax as the canon basis for any work and a list of other stuff not to use. One of the first things I did was to setup a large spreadsheet of the male and female tribal populations and apply those numbers. It became clear early on that some just didn’t work, too high or to low. Some cults were also missing. So although the figures are good for when the book was first published in 1979, we’ve had nearly forty years of Gloranthan exploration of the Wastes to inform us of how the numbers have evolved. Some of the info produced has informed HeroQuest Glorantha and new RQG. I’d love to get this document out officially, however, it’s really boring. I’d certainly not want to see Chaosium publish the Master Wastes Population spreadsheet as a product.

Some things we know that are wrong from the Cults of Prax table are:

Storm Bull in the Sables is 0% is now 0.48% men & 0.02% women.

Ancestor worship across the tribes is 30% amongst men and women, not the low numbers in Cults of Prax.

Vinga is now calculated as part of the Orlanth figures, using Sartar KoH we now know that 4% of Orlanth followers are Vingans and the same applies to the Wastes.

As for the troll figures, I haven’t done any work on these as that’s being covered by @boztakang but based on what I’m now familiar with some of figures seem high - Pavis & Orlanth for example. When comparing the troll percentages to the Dagori Inkarth percentages in RQ3 Trollpak, these seem very wrong. 

The point of these figures is to give you a better feel for the Tribes in the Wastes, if you want to continue to use Greg’s original figures that’s fine by me.

• Like 4

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

Sorry if I came across as particularly snarky, it is just that I see us all as engaged in developing Greg's work, not altering it dramatically.  I appreciate that a 2% difference may not appear that dramatic, but it is a two-thirds reduction.  Given that in CoP days the Orlanthi Pantheon was considerably less detailed than it is now, that 2% difference could very readily be applied to others of that  Pantheon.  The figures 'seeming wrong' for me cries out for investigation and variation, not reduction.  But as Iskallor correctly implies, all of our GWV!

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, David Scott said:

As I said personally I’d adjust those numbers. As to what authority, basically none. The numbers aren’t published (yet) so it’s just an advisement based on the work I’ve already done. The Cults of Prax percentages are a great starting point for understanding how the Praxian tribes are made up. When I started writing material for Prax, @Jeff said I was to use Nomad Gods and Cults of Prax as the canon basis for any work and a list of other stuff not to use. One of the first things I did was to setup a large spreadsheet of the male and female tribal populations and apply those numbers. It became clear early on that some just didn’t work, too high or to low. Some cults were also missing. So although the figures are good for when the book was first published in 1979, we’ve had nearly forty years of Gloranthan exploration of the Wastes to inform us of how the numbers have evolved. Some of the info produced has informed HeroQuest Glorantha and new RQG. I’d love to get this document out officially, however, it’s really boring. I’d certainly not want to see Chaosium publish the Master Wastes Population spreadsheet as a product.

I'd personally be very interested in that boring spreadsheet.

• Like 2