Dreamlands For 7th edition

The Hooded Claw

On 10/4/2017 at 2:03 AM, Mike M said:

Yes there is. Bear with me....

Oh, man...   <drools>  This, by itself, may sell me 7e...

My copy of Dreamlands is one of my (depending on my mood, sometimes THE) all-time-favorite RPG supplements ever, for any system.

Edited by g33k
typo

C'es ne pas un .sig

• 4 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, nclarke said:

Based on current books I'd say it will be on good quality paper, hardback and run to about 200 pages with full colour illustrations. No idea of when though.

Well, that's a given... I was wondering whether Chaosium might make it a larger tome, potentially a standalone game that can slot neatly into CoC.

Hi  - 

Work has begun on writing some new elements to go into a new Dreamlands setting supplement for CoC - but it's early days. I can't say a great deal at present, but I'm keen to not only present HPL's Dreamlands (per the previous editions) but also to suggest alternatives 'moods / styles / atmospheres' for dreams - the classic setting is somewhat dream-like but not very much. I'd like to provide advice and inspiration for customising your Dreamlands to the style of actual dreams - where logic isn't always applicable, where happy can suddenly turn to nightmare, where time is elastic, where differing themes (dark fantasy, cosmic horror, sheer terror, wonder, and so on) can be used to ensure the setting remains 'dream-like' and not a set in stone - things change in dreams and often look different on repeated excursions. So imagine a baseline with various layers you can throw over it to keep it unsettling, weird, and... dream-like.

In short, you'll get HPL's Dreamlands and a range of different takes riffing on the setting. In fact, think of it less as a setting and more as a mindset.

Hopefully, that obfuscates things nicely ; )

• Like 9

• 6 months later...

Mike and Lynne are both very busy working on numerous Call of Cthulhu projects. We have a LOT of them in the pipeline. A new edition of Dreamlands, as Mike has said, is in the pipeline, and I will only add that it won't be for sale in 2018. While Chaosium is getting better at scheduling and announcing the expected publication dates for items we still have a ways to go. We have gotten much better at knowing when we are about 6-9 months away from publication date, and that's when we will most likely announce it. While we love building anticipation for our products, we also don't want to disappoint people if we end up being late on a project. There are numerous possible delays (writing, art, editing, play testing, layout, printing, shipping) that can affect when something is ready.

• Like 1

Hope that Helps,
Rick Meints - Chaosium, Inc.

10d4+8 months, then?

😉

More seriously:  I'm glad to just know it's in the pipeline.  The fact that it's too far down that pipeline to make a reasonable ETA is OK with me; though I sympathize with others who are frustrated, I think you've got the right approach.

Frankly, I think this is a common enough issue that Chaosium might just find it worthwhile to write a concise little bit of boilerplate they can toss out in situations like these, or post on their website, etc:  "We are working on this project, but it's so far down the pipeline, and so many issues outside our control may come up to alter our schedule, that we cannot give any estimate that we expect to be realistic.  "A ways off" is the best info available, and will be for some time."

Still:  I look forward to this, when it finally emerges from the well of Chaos...  :)

C'es ne pas un .sig