Guide to Glorantha Group Read Week 16 - Vesmonstran

• 4 weeks later...

Some bits I found interesting:

- "The ancestor of these people was enslaved by the cruel sorcerers and inhuman dwarves of the Evil Emperor Malkion in the Gods War until freed by Orlanth" - could be part of the myth where Esrola is freed from Angdartha; or part of the Plundering of Aron.  Wonder if Ehilm is considered one of the Cruel Sorcerers in these myths?

- Frive: "grave of a god referred to only as the King Under the Hill" - I like this title.  Think he'll have to appear at some point in one of my campaigns.

- "Green Lions Tower where lived the sorcerer Goventainer Shadowshirt" - anyone know where this tower is/was?  And what became of Goventainer?  Does he perhaps dwell on the Plateau of Torture in the Underworld - one of those pleading for PC's to rescue him?

- High Llama Pass: "often narrow, creeping along cliff faces and crossing bottomless crevices with ancient wooden bridges" - can picture some nice cinematic imagery here.  

- Throne Mountain - clearly where the Orlanthi of Ralios go to gain the Justice Staff (rather than Arrowmound).  Must be some similar myths to the tales of Jarani here, but I picture that the foes are minions of Valind, rather than Gagarthi.

- Uz Eats Wizards - not finding this on the maps, so clearly failing my Map roll.

- Orange Palace of Valantia - home to both the Chariot of Lightning cult and the Orgethite sorcery school.  A union here of the divine and sorcerous powers of the Air?

23 minutes ago, jajagappa said:

Some bits I found interesting:

- "The ancestor of these people was enslaved by the cruel sorcerers and inhuman dwarves of the Evil Emperor Malkion in the Gods War until freed by Orlanth" - could be part of the myth where Esrola is freed from Angdartha; or part of the Plundering of Aron.  Wonder if Ehilm is considered one of the Cruel Sorcerers in these myths?

I originally read this as the local form of the enslavement of the Kachisti myth when the Nidan mountains rose up in the Gennerelan/Genertelan lands of the westerners.

But revisiting this now, it may refer to the Kachisti "civilizing" the local Korioni and forcing them to submit to their urban order, even before they themselves (as well as their non-Danmalastan subjects) being enslaved by the Vadeli and their Mostali allies. As in the story of Lake Oronin, this change of managing sorcerers will not have mattered much to people already regarding the first civilizing efforts as demeaning and unnatural.

- Frive: "grave of a god referred to only as the King Under the Hill" - I like this title.  Think he'll have to appear at some point in one of my campaigns.

Reminds me of the story of Emperor Friedrich I Barbarossa of Staufen sleeping the magical sleep of the Future King under Mt. Kyffhäuser.

- Throne Mountain - clearly where the Orlanthi of Ralios go to gain the Justice Staff (rather than Arrowmound).  Must be some similar myths to the tales of Jarani here, but I picture that the foes are minions of Valind, rather than Gagarthi.

Sounds like a different story to me, and the justice item might be something else, too. 

- Uz Eats Wizards - not finding this on the maps, so clearly failing my Map roll.

It's off the Ralios maps, in the west of Guhan, not far from Baustin. Check Argan Argar Atlas p.27.

- Orange Palace of Valantia - home to both the Chariot of Lightning cult and the Orgethite sorcery school.  A union here of the divine and sorcerous powers of the Air?

IIRC Suranthir started out as an Orgethite zzabur who received a divine revelation on his (possibly still sorcerous) quest to the Top of the World.

Telling how it is excessive verbis

40 minutes ago, Joerg said:

It's off the Ralios maps, in the west of Guhan, not far from Baustin. Check Argan Argar Atlas p.27.

Thanks.  Found it on the Seshnela map p.425 in the Guide.

41 minutes ago, Joerg said:

IIRC Suranthir started out as an Orgethite zzabur who received a divine revelation on his (possibly still sorcerous) quest to the Top of the World.

That would make sense.  I can see a sorcerous Orlanthi cult emerging as the result.