What was Belintar up to?

Grievous

16 minutes ago, soltakss said:

Breaking the ice up, perhaps by sending True Giants against it, Firebergs would work, using Kalikos might work, putting a huge object on one side to tip it over might work as well. However, when the block if ice goes into Magasta's Pool, would it reappear again, in the same manner as the Firebergs?

This assumes it was just ice that went down.

From KoS p.201, it is noted "Far away, then, where the sea rushes into the bottomless hole, the Sea King called to his servants to close the Hell Drain. The Manthi of the Homeward Ocean swam in a tight circle, and the raging whirlpool of the empty hole was pulled tight. The corpse of a continent was thrown in to block it up. And for a moment, the hole was plugged, and the raging currents which were sucked into it were freed."

17 minutes ago, jajagappa said:

From KoS p.201, it is noted "Far away, then, where the sea rushes into the bottomless hole, the Sea King called to his servants to close the Hell Drain. The Manthi of the Homeward Ocean swam in a tight circle, and the raging whirlpool of the empty hole was pulled tight. The corpse of a continent was thrown in to block it up. And for a moment, the hole was plugged, and the raging currents which were sucked into it were freed."

I missed that, thanks. I need to check out KoS again, as it has been too long since I last read it. 

The Flood is definitely going to happen in my campaign, unless the River Voices find a way to stop it ...

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

I think that a flood of the magnitude hinted at in the Hero Wars would be of the order of the floods in the God Time, those that reduced the mountains of Dragon pass to islands. A wall won;t stop that, or will delay it until it goes over the top.

Those floods were different - the ones that left the tree-top bridge and the mountain-peak bridge were both standing waves rising on the flanks of the rockwoods, keeping a more or less steady column of water above the land regardless of the land's elevation. The Madadan Sea which covered Halikiv and possibly Yolp was specialized in covering mountains, and rather weak when it came to covering flat land.

I don't think Orlanth's Quests would help against the blockage, rather they would help by blowing the waters back.

My point here is that the waters of old had steep flanks rather than the rather flat surface with waves providing most of the inland action. Sure, Orlanth's winds can blow back a flat puddle, too, but his force works better against animate water rising high above the surface.

Stopping the blockage would be the best way of stopping the Flood permanantly. Breaking the ice up, perhaps by sending True Giants against it, Firebergs would work, using Kalikos might work, putting a huge object on one side to tip it over might work as well. However, when the block if ice goes into Magasta's Pool, would it reappear again, in the same manner as the Firebergs?

I don't think so. This is ordinary ice, just a whole lot of it, and, coming in from the west, floating on cold currents which have just gone around the northern edge of Valind's Glacier.

Edited by Joerg

Telling how it is excessive verbis