David Scott

1652 Great Flood

On ‎7‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 4:46 AM, Joerg said:

The amount of soil moved in these projects would have yielded a dyke maybe 100 ft at the crown.

Who's talking about moving soil?  I'm suggesting raising the titanic earth spirits/elementals/giants from deep within the earth cube, or growing a mountain range, or using the thoughts of the Green Dragon to reshape the land.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, David Scott said:

here it is

The dwarves have been very busy.  They've repaired their entire cube in SW Glorantha  (see GtG p.691)!

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, jajagappa said:

The dwarves have been very busy.  They've repaired their entire cube in SW Glorantha  (see GtG p.691)!

Yes, this is what they pull up with the capstan, see GtG pages 88, 89, 90, 502.

53 minutes ago, jajagappa said:

Who's talking about moving soil?  I'm suggesting raising the titanic earth spirits/elementals/giants from deep within the earth cube, or growing a mountain range, or using the thoughts of the Green Dragon to reshape the land.

You may need to be more epic 🙂

• Like 1

14 hours ago, metcalph said:

Laskal gets flooded in '52?  Harrek's going to be pissed.

My follow on question is - does he care?

56 minutes ago, jajagappa said:

In that case, why bother with dykes if you can just lift the entire land above the waves, like Belintar did with Loon Island.

Although I think that extending the Wonder Transfer (Guide p.254) effect would be a lot more cost efficient. 

Or quest for Kylerela and evacuate your population there.

Edited by Joerg
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, David Scott said:

You may need to be more epic 🙂

Let's see: we could resurrect Genert; or maybe quest for the Seed of Genert to give birth to a new Earth child to hold back the waters; or maybe awaken Veskarthan/Lodril to lift the earth up on his shoulders.  I'm sure we can find more! 😉

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, jajagappa said:

Seed of Genert

Eyeballing the eastern edge of the flood map reveals that every ancient exotic seed stockpiled in the Paps (grandmothers are crafty) is going to get a chance to germinate after all, whether that process takes it through a triolini digestive tract or otherwise. Good to refresh the serpents as long as the people stay out of box canyons -- otherwise new forests may echo with laughter but not the ancestral "wa ha!"

2 hours ago, jajagappa said:

Let's see: we could resurrect Genert; or maybe quest for the Seed of Genert to give birth to a new Earth child to hold back the waters; or maybe awaken Veskarthan/Lodril to lift the earth up on his shoulders.  I'm sure we can find more! 😉

Vulcanism would be one way to get land up above the water line.

(I originally  mist-typed "Vulcanism" as "Vulvanism" - which which I'm less familiar, but sounds like it might be a way Ketha or Esrolla might rouse Veskarthen to action.) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JonL said:

(I originally  mist-typed "Vulcanism" as "Vulvanism" - which which I'm less familiar, but sounds like it might be a way Ketha or Esrolla might rouse Veskarthen to action.) 

Veskarthan is VERY sluggish.  Arousal is clearly a requirement of any quest to get his help.

12 hours ago, jajagappa said:

Veskarthan is VERY sluggish.  Arousal is clearly a requirement of any quest to get his help.

The water might be cold, too...

On a more serious note, something like the Syndic's Ban might be tried.

While Snodal was troubled about the threat of the White Bear Empire, his motivation to go and kill the God of the Silver Feet was a map of Fronela made by or attributed to Zzabur showing the future Fronela under the flood. Dormal's journey may very well have Thawed the Ban too soon.

If you look at the future catastrophes in King of Sartar, like Illiteracy, these could be side effects of someone (the Harshax?) in the south fragmenting reality like that.

On 7/24/2018 at 11:22 AM, David Scott said:

I was reminded that I hadn't done the third map! So here is the final flood level with a special note. You'll see i've marked a red circle on the map. This place is important as its the separation pain of the Oslir river watershed and the Creek-stream-river watershed. I've chosen not to have the flood spill over at this point. If you want an Oslir catastrophe as part of this event - go ahead, but it doesnt seem to fit here unless you think otherwise.

Thanks for this. It was about a  month too late for our campaign, as the PCs stopped the iceberg from blocking Magasta's pool and moved it to the Creater instead. Harrek wanted to sail up the Oslir, for various in-game MGDV reasons, so the Flood would have reached the Oslir watershed. In the end, the River Voices were so appalled at the idea that they decided to do something very magical to stop it and ended the campaign.

On 7/25/2018 at 7:17 PM, Joerg said:

Especially with Nochet and its Great Library I can see desperate and heroic action drama. Argan Argar's Safe spell might play a role here.

As would Asrelia's Cavern. 

I can see a lot of cults working desperately to stop the Flood (The Thunder Brothers stopping Worcha, for example) and many cults mitigating the effects of the Flood. Burying things in the ground, hiding them in magical protection areas, covering buildings with an upturned boat, all could be used to prevent the floodwaters from affecting a certain spot.

The Tricksters have a capital city that is effectively a huge dome that stops the waters getting in, perhaps all you need to do is ask Eurmal cultists to protect your town, what could possibly go wrong?

On 7/26/2018 at 3:46 PM, scott-martin said:

Please you guys reassure me that truestone is really dense and that thing isn't going to float away from its sacred world-preserving duty like a big fizzing lode of lithium.

Oh, why couldn't you have posted this a couple of months ago?

I could have had so much fun with the Block floating away and a gigantic gnarled hand breaking the surface of the waters.

• Like 2

On 7/27/2018 at 11:43 AM, jajagappa said:

Aurelion made Aurelion's Breakwater in Pamaltela in such a fashion. Time for the Volcano Twins to shine.

32 minutes ago, soltakss said:

Aurelion made Aurelion's Breakwater in Pamaltela in such a fashion. Time for the Volcano Twins to shine.

I assume you mean Jrustela here?

7 hours ago, Joerg said:

I assume you mean Jrustela here?

Somewhere down south, yes.

I seem to remember that Ldril did something in Pamaltela, Caladra in Genertela, so it makes sense that Aurelion did in somewhere in between, so Jrustela. I was working from a faded memory, anyway.

The point stands that Aurelion has history of casting up great swathes of land to block a flood. In the Hero Wars, Aurelion cultists could band together and perform a HeroQuest to do exactly that.